Vintage Mustang Forums banner

My Need For Speed

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  6sally6 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 65' inline six that I love to death but the one thing she won't have is horsepower... I want to keep her as my cruiser so I don't want to drop anything in or change anything big so I plan on getting another Mustang for my power and speed needs. In YOUR opinion which mustang from 67'-04' (not too big of a fan from 05-present) would be a good year to drop a big engine in and revamp for total badassery? (not a word) Anything is in play including but not limited to: GTs, 500s, 350s, Cobras, Mach 1s, KRs, and everything else. I wouldn't mind doing a restoration either if it's an older model or just in bad shape if it's newer. 40k budget not including purchase of car and a little bit over budget is fine. BTW it needs to be street legal as well. Any long specific suggestions like the entire build are fine as well because I'm just brainstorming now and any idea helps so don't be scared to write paragraphs! Thanks for the responses!

#6 · (Edited)
start with a 2004 Terminator

upgrade to 5.4, punch up the super charger and the fuel system, maybe somebody's heads, cams
it would need the cooling mod
make 600+ to the rear wheels fairly easy, I've seen twin turbo 4.6's making 1200

It would likely need a bunch of other upgrades like the suspension, brakes, rear end and possibly the tranny/clutch as well but hey, its only money, LOL.

Well that is what I would do because I love the 2004 terminator svt Cobra's.

#8 ·
LOL....that is like starting with a K code 66 because you want a fast car, and then ripping out the HiPo 289 to to put a 347 in.
Leave the Terminator alone, buy a base model and THEN install the 5.4, the turbos, suspension, brakes etc.

#10 ·
I'd take the internals of the terminator motor over a 5.4 anyways. A 5.4 would need a complete rebuild, where you can just add a bigger blower to the terminator, and let it eat. A buddy of mine had one, and it was a stock motor, with a 4.3L Whipple, and nitrous. They did an AOD swap, and it made right at 1000 hp. Here we are racing when my car was in its prime, and you can see I out 60' him by a lot, but he makes an appearance at the 1/8 markers....lol. He went a 9.4 to my 9.7.

#15 ·
This....

plus this.....

and this.....

or, in other words....

a. Your six banger,
b. Paxton NoviSC supercharger
c. Affordable Fuel Injections Ford Six kit which contains...

-Complete fully electronic ECM-controlled distributor
-Rebuilt TBI unit with Flow Matched Injectors
-ECM with AFI’s specially calibrated chip
-Complete wiring harness
-Adapter plate, gaskets, hardware
-External Electric fuel pump with filter
-Fuel pump relay
-Power relay
-Coolant sensor
-MAP sensor
-O2 sensor
-Check engine indicator
-Installation instructions
-Tech support
-Many miles of low maintenance fuel injection operation
Estimated lead time is 1-3 weeks.
funny you guys suggested this, i was going to recommend finding a 250, rework the head, drop on a turbo, efi is fine as well, and back hat up with a nice AOD with a reprogrammed valve body, and drop that into your current mustang. it will make really good power, turn in decent fuel economy, and in day to day driving you will never know the turbo is there until you stick your foot in the throttle.

#13 ·
This....

plus this.....

and this.....

or, in other words....

a. Your six banger,
b. Paxton NoviSC supercharger
c. Affordable Fuel Injections Ford Six kit which contains...

-Complete fully electronic ECM-controlled distributor
-Rebuilt TBI unit with Flow Matched Injectors
-ECM with AFI’s specially calibrated chip
-Complete wiring harness
-Adapter plate, gaskets, hardware
-External Electric fuel pump with filter
-Fuel pump relay
-Power relay
-Coolant sensor
-MAP sensor
-O2 sensor
-Check engine indicator
-Installation instructions
-Tech support
-Many miles of low maintenance fuel injection operation
Estimated lead time is 1-3 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.