Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Best Quality Reproduction Grille?

3K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  semperfido 
#1 ·
I'm going to replace the grille on my '66 Mustang (still at the paint shop and a couple fins are damaged/broken). Standard front end except for the added fog lights, non-GT. I understand that the GT grilles were painted black.

I've learned that some re-manufactured body parts out there can suffer from "hit or miss" quality issues and the different manufacturer's production quality can vary from one time period to another. It pays to consult the forum for recent experiences.

Anybody have a recommendation for the standard '66 grille? Anybody selling a "better" product than the others?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
A true GT grille is painted a charcoal blue metallic at least on a 65 Fastback. When I ordered mine over 10 years ago they still offered the correct color GT grille. Sadly, now you have to get the black one, and paint it. Unfortunately the paint they offer does not match.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Peter. I didn't know that the actual GT color for the grille was charcoal blue metallic. I'm not trying to pass off my car as a GT (it's a C-code retrofitted with a 4 bbl). I'd be happy with a good quality reproduction with the polished front.

#9 ·
I look forward to reading your report tomorrow Doc. I'm curious if it's in a Scott Drake box, Dynacorn, a box labeled "Golden Legion"...

#13 ·
First off, there's nothing similar between a '65 or '66 grilles, so there's no point talking about colors or quality from 1965. None of it applies to your '66.

I think that there's at best, 2 active toolings for 1966 grilles in Taiwan, and I think they're both equally nice. They don't suffer the flimsy-issues that are prevalent with other years. I don't think you can go wrong either way you shoot. In fact, we may all be selling the same grille (Drake, Dynacorn and NPD). We buy ours through Golden Legion.

Rick
NPD

#15 ·
I think that there's at best, 2 active toolings for 1966 grilles in Taiwan, and I think they're both equally nice. They don't suffer the flimsy-issues that are prevalent with other years. I don't think you can go wrong either way you shoot. In fact, we may all be selling the same grille (Drake, Dynacorn and NPD). We buy ours through Golden Legion.

Rick
NPD
Holy Cow that was fast. Thanks Rick!

#23 ·
Just as I am. I like this forum because of people like you and your depth of knowledge. I thank you for taking the time to help those that don't have the knowledge base to become more educated, myself included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.