Howdy (again) - flamed 66 fastback restomod - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Howdy (again) - flamed 66 fastback restomod

Howdy all,

I used to be a member, but it was so long ago I have no idea what the user name/pw were, so F it. I'll start fresh. I recognize some old friends from here and StangNet days 10-12 years ago and I look forward to catching up with you old coots.

On to the car. It was the first fastback I had ever seen in person, and I hassled the owner for 3 years before he relented and sold it to me. That was March 19, 1996. The car was 30 years old and I was 20.

It began as a blue/blue car delivered to the New Orleans DSO with only 2 options: C code 289 and 2+2 roof. Those are the only two I cared about, so we're off to the races.

Here I am complete with ponytail and Hawaiian shirt. (It was the 90's). I ditched the ponytail but still have the shirt.

The colors had changed to black/red at some point in its life as well as a C4 swapped in, but was otherwise stock. It immediately got an edelbrock 4bbl setup, new suspension and Granada front brakes for its daily driver duties getting me to college.

Around 03/04 I did a ton of work to it, including changing to black interior, bodywork and new paint and the flame job. It was at this time that I started plans for the 5.0/T-5 swap. It didn't drive again until 09, but when it did it was powered by that '91 5.0, freshly built with forged internals, aluminum WP heads, TFS stage 2 cam and a bunch of other go-fast goodies.

Every inch of the car has been cleaned and restored or replaced since I've owned it except for the peg leg 8" rear that's about to get replaced with an Explorer 8.8 that I have, but haven't installed yet.

The best mods I've made to date (aside from a much more powerful engine) include the T-5 swap with modern driveline crossmember and Mustang Steve roller clutch pedal, power brake retrofit and clutch cable stuff. Honorable mention goes to the Acura RSX seats and customized stock console to accommodate the tunnel-mounted E brake.

Body mods include the Shelby scoop and removing 15 pieces of chrome (bumper guards, grille pony, shaved antenna and more).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million details, but that's enough for now. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to know anything else.

It sits lower than this on even ground. The grass gave me a bit of a 4x4 look on the sunlit side when I shot these this week:

Console includes a tiny amp that runs the speakers and has a Bluetooth module so I can run tunes off my phone.

The go-fast part.

This is my co-pilot. :-)

And just for giggles, my daily driver: 05 vert with a ton of Roush goodies and 442rwhp worth of Edelbrock E-force supercharger.

Makes for a nice view in the garage:
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/BlakesAlbum/05%20Mustang%20GT/image_zpss9t92phc.jpeg[/IMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't figure out how to edit the first post on my phone, so here's that last image that's broken:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 AM

Nice, despite the fact I'm not a fan of flames in general. Welcome back!

Two questions; What did you do to fit the RSX seats low enough and away from the armrests enough to fit? I had them in my 68' until recently and and found I needed to remove and replace the factory platforms entirely with reinforcing custom brackets down there. Then the challenge was to get them away from the doors. It was a close thing, but I did get it all to work and still have some headroom. I always wanted BMW E30 Recaro's though, and finally found a pair. They are getting very hard to find these days. Secondly, where did you get the parking brake handle from and how did you route the cables? That looks real nice and should provide plenty of leverage for the 8.8 rear you plan on. I have an Explorer rear too.
Small world, huh?

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"

Last edited by 4ocious; 09-12-2016 at 01:39 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, flames seem to be a love/hate thing, but I love 'em, at least the way that they are applied in this case.

RSX seats are mounted to flat steel bars which are hard mounted to the floor. I'm the only driver so I really don't care that they don't slide. Even so, I'd prefer to lower the seat pans an inch or so one day. Such a vast improvement otherwise, I'm happy with the results.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yeah, the parking brake... I got it from an 86 mustang. I positioned it based on what looked and felt right from the drivers seat. Cut the smallest hole necessary and it just turned out to be perfectly positioned to attach directly to the horse shoe bracket on the cable.

I'm sure I'll have to rework how that attaches to the 8.8 cable, but it'll be a fun challenge.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Yeah, flames seem to be a love/hate thing, but I love 'em, at least the way that they are applied in this case.

RSX seats are mounted to flat steel bars which are hard mounted to the floor. I'm the only driver so I really don't care that they don't slide. Even so, I'd prefer to lower the seat pans an inch or so one day. Such a vast improvement otherwise, I'm happy with the results.
Ahh, got it. I had mine in there fully functional. The RSX seats are really nice, no doubt about it. The only things I didn't care for much were the modern style of them looked a bit out of place to me, and they are heavy, even after removing all the side airbag stuff. Even after I had them mounted I never stopped looking for alternatives. I bought some VW MK2's from a 91' GTI but soon learned they wouldn't work without losing near all function of movement. In the end I sold them for a nice profit so no harm done. The E30's are the bomb though, some of the best and most adjustable manual sport seats ever made imo. They only came in the BMW coupes though, the regular E30 seats are still all over the place, salvage yards everywhere. The Recaro sports have the adjustable thigh support for anyone looking. The E21 sport seats are terrific too, if you can find them.
Thanks for the info on the parking brake handle, I'll look into that!

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had some generic ebay cheapie racing seats in it for years. The RSX seats are so much better in every way, and I actually really like the styling. They don't scream 60's, but I don't think they look terribly out of place either. I expect I'll keep these in there forever.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Good looking cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page