• 1 Post By heySkippy
  • 1 Post By heySkippy

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

My New Old Mustang

My first mustang in almost 40 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I guess this is as good a place as any to post a couple pics I have from the old days of my prior Mustangs.

In the summer of 1972, one week before my 16th birthday, my parents drove me to Purcell, Oklahoma where a friend of theirs owned a car lot. I bought my first car that day with money I'd earned washing dishes at a local restaurant. I paid $400 for a white 1964 1/2 Mustang couple with a 6 cylinder/3 speed.

I drove it my Junior year of High School and sold it in early 1974 for the same $400 I'd paid. I used that to help buy a 1968 Mercury Cyclone, but that's another story. This was that Mustang. I had bought a wrecked 66 and replaced the grill and dashboard, among other things.

In 1975 I joined the Army and when I came home in 1978 I bought a 1969 Mustang fastback with a 302/automatic. This was actually a really good car that I drove all over the place. From Kansas to California and back. Twice. With a turtle shell on the roof. I'm not unhappy that I have a 68 coupe now, but if I'm honest, this is what I was really looking for when I started searching a couple months ago.

The 69 fastback got looks and complements WAY before it was "Vintage".
Mach671 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
That 68 looks pretty great. It also looks like it's been modded. What are the details there?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
That 68 looks pretty great. It also looks like it's been modded. What are the details there?
It's a stroked 351W with a fairly wild cam and a 5 speed. 3:50 rear, lowered quite a lot all around with 17" front and 18" rears, racing seats & aftermarket gauges. That's the big picture but there are a lot of details I don't know yet.

My initial goal is to make it a better car to drive. I want to tighten up the steering and add EPS. After that, who knows. I definitely want to get it on a dyno and to the drags at least once or twice.

But mostly I'm learning. No big hurry. I want to take it to the drag strip sometime and it would be fun to get it on a dyno. I'll be sure to post results if I ever do that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Welcome home. It's always good to see another 69 past owner. Hope you enjoy the Forum. These folks know all the Mustang tech, lore, and history. That is a great looking 68 resto-mod coupe! Please share photos of the interior too.

1969 Mach1 w/ 671 Blower

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

A cell phone pic from this morning. I've been driving it to work on Friday.

pingar likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post

In the summer of 1972, one week before my 16th birthday, my parents drove me to Purcell, Oklahoma where a friend of theirs owned a car lot. I bought my first car that day with money I'd earned washing dishes at a local restaurant. I paid $400 for a white 1964 1/2 Mustang couple with a 6 cylinder/3 speed.

I drove it my Junior year of High School and sold it in early 1974 for the same $400 I'd paid. I used that to help buy a 1968 Mercury Cyclone, but that's another story.
Ah, the good old days.

I fondly remember buying cars in the 1970s for $400 or $500.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Very nice looking 68 I really like the red and black paint love those colors combos.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page