My 1967 mustang coupe restoration project - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papony View Post
I love 67 coupes. Nothin better. We have a 1967 GTA 390. The only thing is that block is so big for the car. Great on the staight away, not meant for the country cruves. You can feel that car wanting to pull because of the weight up front.
Good luck with the car. She will be beautiful I am sure, when you are done!
i thought about putting a 427 or 428 in it but i figured it was gonna be a lot of extra work so im sticking with the 289 + i want to be able to cruse this when im done but heres and update

basically all stripped of anything that bolts onto the car and ive started cutting out bad spots and i have a nice big box from cjsponyparts.com see if i cant get the rebuild on the move

been crazy busy so the car has suffered from lack of progress but thats soon to change as you see above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM

It's all downhill from here. Keep up the good work.
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
It's all downhill from here. Keep up the good work.
Starting to actually feel that way to got all the panels i need to weld in and everything is cut out just need to weld in and fit the new stuff im debating blasting the car and spraying epoxy primer over everything so its all fresh and undercoat the car than ill put it back on its wheels and paint it in the spring.

i found a place that does some great blasting and painting i can get the car blasted inside out under every spot and then primed for 700$ including supplies hows that price sound ? keep in mind its winter and cold my shop is not heated so priming here is not gonna work .

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM

are you doing a disc brake conversion on the front? i have a 67 coupe 289 all original. im making it a resto mod. the brake system on there leaves something to be desired. so i was wondering what your plans on that were?
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydegen07 View Post
are you doing a disc brake conversion on the front? i have a 67 coupe 289 all original. im making it a resto mod. the brake system on there leaves something to be desired. so i was wondering what your plans on that were?
i actually have factory disks with the 67 4 piston calipers im gonna rebuild those and use some good pads and drilled and slotted rotors.
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Alright finally had some time to finish taking apart the front and start fixing it posting up some pics

drivers and passengers rear aprons cut out and surfaces sanded ready for weld through primer and panels to be welded

panels all in using some weld through primer and a lot of fitting. This car was hit at one time i got it straight but it still took a lot to fit those panels than i just used a punch and plug welded the panels in.

I think it looks good what you guys think? this week im putting the rest of the front together i know its been a while since an update but its been cold so not been in the shop much.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Update

finally had some good time to work heres where its at

drivers and passengers frame rails tacked in

core support and fenders mocked in to line everything up

clamped to weld

drivers inner front apron mocked in place

drivers front inner apron welded in drives side finished

passengers side all welded in

all finished for now ill dress the welds and add sway bar mounts and strut rod mounts and prime the engine bay next or the cowl
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Ahh, you make it look easy! I've never done anything like this, but would like to, if I could find a car that needed it.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM

Obviously you have done this kind of work before. Looks great!

-Mike

1967 Mustang GTA 390
2015 F-150 3.5 "Eco"Boost

Freshly media blasted and epoxied! Metal work begins soon!
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 AM

Wow great work! I am definitely following this one. Pretty similar to what I had done, but I didn't have to replace the front frames.

Gib

1967 Mustang Coupe/Restoration Project/In storage for overseas tour in Hawaii
2007 Mustang GT Black/Black/5 Speed/1.5" Drop/MAC Intake/Tuned by Trick Tuners, San Diego/FRPP GTA Exhaust/9.15 stock in 1/8th mile/270HP,290 TQ/Born on 10/19/2006
2004 Mach 1/Ex Honolulu PD Car/K&N intake/FR500 rims/BBK Xpipe/Flowmaster exhaust/Mach 1 interior items/automatic/1 of 220 made
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfessenden View Post
Ahh, you make it look easy! I've never done anything like this, but would like to, if I could find a car that needed it.
I would say go for it best way to learn is buy a basket case car and fix it up. You might not make a profit but it will be something you can be proud of and teach you things that can pay of in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTA89 View Post
Obviously you have done this kind of work before. Looks great!
I'm a 3rd generation welder been welding since i was about 5 made things out in the shop built trailers for a bit etc. than i built a 71 mustang, 69 skylark custom, 64 dodge dart GT, 60 ranchero , 55 ford truck did all the metal work so now its quite easy still a process and a lot of work but I've got lots of practice i just enjoy the work which makes it fun

BTW love your car looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs67cpe View Post
Wow great work! I am definitely following this one. Pretty similar to what I had done, but I didn't have to replace the front frames.

Gib
I replaced the front frames because they were starting to rust in front and i just wanted it as solid as it could be so cut out any rusted or thin metal and made it solid.

Thanks for all your comments guys still working on some metal work getting closer to a 100% solid body im not leaving any rust

While i set on the fenders started cutting the mounting holes i loosely bolted on the fenders (just a bolt) and set to hood on to see how it all lined up and to my surprise its really close not bad for basically cutting the whole front off the car

now its time to take care of these floors
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Are you doing a 1 piece floor?

When does the cowl come off?

-Mike

1967 Mustang GTA 390
2015 F-150 3.5 "Eco"Boost

Freshly media blasted and epoxied! Metal work begins soon!
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTA89 View Post
Are you doing a 1 piece floor?

When does the cowl come off?
Once i put the floors in the cowl comes off. Sadly though like most other mustangs mine is full of holes but i want the floors in to help make the body ridged. I might also get the sub frame connectors in to before i pull it off. as far as floors i would be doing a 1 piece but when i bought a parts car it came with all new floor sections so i'll end up just using them since i have them on hand.

also thought about shaving the drip rails not sure yet but its gonna be kept inside and be a weekend toy so not concerned about water just more of the look i kinda like the smooth look around the doors.

What do you think ?
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Started on passengers side floor, the front patch done long ago was liquid nailed in no surprise sadly been a few fixes on here like that on this car but im making it right.

I rough cut it out with lots left so i can line up the pan before trimming it up nice. I remembered i have a bunch of thick square tube so while the floor is out I'm going to make my own sub frame connectors.

When i started taking the car apart i just figured it was an 8 inch (also had another 8 from a parts car) while yesterday i went to move it out of the way and it caught my eye looked for a few minutes and realized i have a nice 9 inch for my car proper length and everything now i just want to figure out what gears it has.

Last I've been trading around parts for a long time i meet with this guy working on his car traded him some parts he was really nice. He remembered i liked these valve covers he had laying around and just gave them to me the are Cal custom fined covers.

More to come this weekend.
Adam
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 PM

Wow, that a lot of work, looks great so far. I dig those valve covers!

68' Coupe. Toyota 2JZ. Build thread HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page