Vintage Mustang Forums banner

My 1967 mustang coupe restoration project

25K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  luke87gt 
#1 ·
hello everyone i just joined up and im taking on my 2nd big restoration on a classic car. Ive always wanted a 67 mustang and always prefered the coupes no idea why. I ended up picking up 2 cars for under 1000$ heres the list

2 power steering setups
1 in dash ac setup
1 power disk break setup
2 5 lug axles and spindles
3 sets of good doors and 4 sets of good fenders
1 302
about 100-15 trim pieces basically ever part from the junk yard for a 67
2 new floor board panels ready to install
1 set or original gauges no idiot lights
1 center console
tons of gta parts
a grill with fog lights (factory ones)
etc...................... basically a 32x60 foot shop packed besides tools

the one car i got basically for all the parts that came with body it 100% unsaveable the only good part is the inner rockers and thats about it lol but should have the parts for one amazing car

heres a few pictures let me know that you think

shes really taken apart at the moment but really to see what your project is gonna start like this is a good place to start i believe

See less See more
#2 ·
not bad. however, if the parts listed here are for sale, you will likely be warned about it. they will need to go in a for sale ad which you are not able to do yet since you do not have enough posts or time on the forum yet.

On a positive note, I too am in that stage as well with the restoration. Mine has a bit of rust in the usual places as well. this big job ahead of me is replacing the passengers side A Pillar from the middle of the windshield post all the way down to the rocker...... what was I thinking :loco:

Oh well, this one has sentimental value to me and the fact that it's a factory S Code 4 speed car helps too..:thumbsup:

good luck on your build and we would love to see more pics. hopefully a little clearer though:)

#3 · (Edited)
none of it is for sale i just figured i lucked out on so many factory options. The way i figure it most of us guys who buy a car like this do it because of the love of having your own 2 hands be the thing that brings the car back to life im ok with mine having rust because in the end ill appreciative so much more knowing all that went into it. Mine is not bad though floor pans (typical) and fender skirts and drivers quarter. the drivers quarter is not bad but its been covered once with a patch panel and so im gonna cut it off and put a complete new quarter on im just not a fan of skins. but i lucked out all my frame rails are solid and rockers and toe boards i think i might have to patch lower cowl but hey its a project so fun to learn

ill get some better pictures for you as well and lots as i work on it these were just ipod pics ill pull out my good camera as i start to work on it

also cant decide original restoration or resto mod what you guys think?

#5 ·
i think thats the way im going to more power better handling good sound system give that classic look with modern parts

heres the better pictures for you give a slightly better for you

i think for a Michigan car its in good shape

#6 ·
Starting to get a few parts in now got myself a alum. radiator for the car with the modern style water inlets so i can run my performance electric water pump on it also got an electric fan to go with it

should look quite nice under the hood im still waiting on my front sheet metal so i can do the engine bay and floors so i can do all my suspension and engine and trans got most everything lined up for the build now

#8 ·
so i am thinking of keeping close to stock with a c4 and a shift kit just put some better highway gears in the rear end vs a whole AOD trans i know people like the extra gear but i have a really nice c4 all rebuilt with less than 600 miles is the AOD really worth it considering this is a weekend and summer car ?

and sure pm me let me know of anything you want and i can see if i can help you out no problem

#10 ·
resto mod is the way im going now i really want to be able to drive this hard and have it feel like a new car but be classic i love the look of these cars

and about the looks i love when people that dont know about our cars well they look at them in this state and ask why ur spending $ on that junk than once ur done they all wanna spend their $$$$ to buy that junk you have lol

#11 ·
while over the past few days ive been picking up loads of parts and deals to go with the car including an original 67 mustang 289 engine and c4 trans. i also got a i6 c4 and 3 speed with clutch with all that stuff after a few days i only have $275 into it all gotta love craigslist

the c4 auto im putting in my car i got in all those parts super clean also came with a new B&M chrome trans pan and had a rebuild 600 (documented) miles ago swaped out by last owner for a AOD i wanna go original so i picked this up also has all the brackets and everything to go in lines and cables and shift lever everything

got this engine took a close look at it idk why he sold it for almost nothing it has 0 cylinder wall wear on it all the bearings look great i guess it sat in his shop for the last 25 years and he got it from a guy who pulled it from the original car for a BBF conversion i measured everything its a virgin block never bored and looks almost new top it off both engine and trans are both 67 parts should match well

what u guys think i should do to the 289 for a bit more power before it goes in i was thinking cam and intake ?

#13 ·
Im thinking about soda blasting the car not sure though usually i just hit it all with a da but some spots are harder to get but its a bigger cost to blast it VS just my labor which i dont mind working on it is half the fun.

looks like i lucked out my 289 is a perfect numbers match for my car a 67 with 2bll so i think ill stick close to stock a nice holley 2bll carb and a cam and headers

theres a lot of rust in the front of the frame rail where the bumper brackets go should i just replace the front or go for more strength and replace with a 100% new frame rail ? (i have to do fender aprons to so i gotta take them off anyways)

on another note ...... this is what craigslist and sawp meets do to your garage :loco:

#15 ·
will do lots of pics to as soon as my replacement panel order comes in you will really be able to live through it lol ill take pics and detail everything i do i really need to do the floor pans since i have them been so busy running around getting parts now i can actually start working

#16 ·
Decided to get the info on the car just the options and things it came with here it is

7 1967
T Built at Metuchen
01 Mustang Hardtop
C 289-2V Engine

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
49,087th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Metuchen

65A Mustang Hardtop
8 Springtime Yellow Paint, Ford #1955-A
2A Black Standard Bucket Seats
17L Scheduled For Build: November 17, 1966
27 Cincinnati Ordering District
0 2.79 Standard Axle Ratio
W C-4 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic
DEALER#: 47C519

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
C-4 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic
Courtesy Light Group
Electric Clock
7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires
White Rayon Sidewall Tires
Rocker Panel Moulding
Power Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Air Conditioner - Selectaire
AM Radio
Tinted Glass
Deluxe Seat Belts
Wheel Covers

Your car was actually produced on November 16, 1966 -- one day ahead of schedule.

#17 ·
got something done today nothing to exciting but took apart the whole back end of the car gas tank tail lights valance bumper brackets quarter extensions etc getting ready to remove the axle and build a rack for the car to sit on

#20 ·
The weather is finally starting to cool off here, so I will be getting back into it soon. Just been too busy and it's too hot in the garage to work for very long. My next step is going to be the pillar repair. Once that is done, I can move on to the floors and firewall repair.

#21 ·
yeah i understand i did some welding the other week and i lasted all of an hour before i gave in and went inside it was like 93 and crazy humid i just want better weather to work on my car before its under freezing this winter even yesterday working it was 83

#22 ·
went out and worked on the car a bit getting it in the air trying to get the suspension off and wow the front leaf spring bolts are a pita i had to cut them couldnt do anything accept that but heres where im going

started getting everything out of the inside getting ready for floor pans

just going slowly nut things are coming along slowly

#24 ·
thanks its nice having the comments and forum sometimes projects get long and the good stuff keeps it going im happy at the small rust considering its a car that spent all the time in the snow and salt roads so i guess could be 10 times worse got to do floor pans fender aprons and few other small spots but its almost 100% apart im gonna blast the car i think start fresh

#25 ·
had a very buys past few weeks but i found a real nice guy with lots of mustang parts and a lot of NOS stuff so i picked up some things to get me going

i got a
hood
extra fender and head light bucket
NOS ford valance
drain plug and seals kit
new lower control arms with bushings and ball joints
new sound dampener
NOS winshield washer pump
NOS dist cap still in box

got the sound damper on the back of the car im close to doing metal work

all new in the top of a barn i was surprised when i pulled these out of a pile

thats that for today been collecting stuff when i start i wanna just work away and not be stopped (as bad) for parts so im trying to get most at the start

#26 ·
Adam, still have not heard back from you on that passengers side windshield / door post from your parts car. Are we still going to make a deal on that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.