1968 Gold Nugget Special - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:50 AM

A very nice restoration, I'm sure your dad would be mighty proud. Beautiful home and garage btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusten View Post
. Unfortunately the drivetrain was gone(6 cyl, 3 speed) so we upgraded.

I'm having a hard time seeing anything unfortunate in this situation ;o)

M

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdshenoy View Post
Good looking car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastang68 View Post
Very nice!
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFrederick View Post
Hi. I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions I wonder if you may be able to answer.

My 68 had the blackout hood treatment - paint code W5 - ). I was checking out your progress photos from your build and could not tell how these were originally applied. From what I have been able to find, these were painted on from the hood louver opening to the edge of the windshield, running the full width of the indentations on the hood.

Was your car's paint original to the car when you got it?
Yes, the cars paint was original. My grandmother bought the car in 1969. I have a few photos of it from the early 70s I could post for you if you'd like.

Quote:
In the one photo (assuming it had original paint on when pic was taken), it appears that at the assembly plant, the stripe was painted on while the hood was closed, without regard to over spray between the hood and the cowl, or in the cowl vent area. Does that sound correct according to your car's condition? Do you have any original photos of the cowl and/or the gap between cowl and hood prior to repaint besides the one shown?
Other than this picture I am not sure I have any before the body work was started. Dad wasn't the best at shooting photos.

Quote:
Finally, I have seen photos of a few 1968 Mustangs with the blackout hood treatment. It seems that all stripes like this that I have found images of, were painted before the final clear coat was applied. I was wondering if that is the correct sheen. Are the stripes were supposed to be flat, matte, satin or full gloss. It appears that your stripes are under the final gloss clear coat. Do you know if that was how it was originally?
this I can't answer. The car was wrecked in 1988 and stored until 2005. So the paint was in awful shape and I couldn't say what was and wasn't cleared. My stripes are under the clear coat now.

Quote:
Thanks for any help on this. My car did not have the original hood on it. I only found out about the stripes from the Marti Report i got for the car.
Dean
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps my older pictures I have will show the color of the hood better. I'll dig them out when I get home from work today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Williams View Post
..I would like to know also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
A very nice restoration, I'm sure your dad would be mighty proud. Beautiful home and garage btw
Thanks. It's odd, when it comes to this car everything I do I worry about dad's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing anything unfortunate in this situation ;o)

M
It's not factory correct

2001 Ford Lightning - KB - Built Motor - Built Trans - Custom Interior - Garage Queen
1993 Ford Lightning - Pappy's Truck
1994 Ford Cobra - The wifes
1968 Mustang - in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page