1967 S code Fastback project - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Finally got the engine hoist and pulled the motor yesterday

Headers look like they are 100 years old...The jet hot cermic coating came off after 2 years, really disappointed after the money I spent on these things.

Pretty much stripped now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Looking good,......two years on the ceramic sucks !

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Nice project. I had a S code 68 back in the 70's. Long gone. Nice to see someonew with a car that has some history. have fun.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Last night I decided to wheel it outside and finish grinding out all of the old bondo in the quarters. This was about 4 hours with the angle grinder and sander.

Now we are getting into why I want to do this...I always knew these panels were all F'd at some point and filled in. Car was rearended at some point in its life...probably why my dad got this car for less than $100. Now what im not sure is if this is something that a body shop would fix, or just replace with a new lower quarter. I think the latter, but im not a body guy

So its coming along. I have the passenger door/fender left to strip. Then ill strip out the engine compartment. After than ill start getting some estimates to fix this mess.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM

I'd replace both quarters. As beat up as they are, it's not even worth stripping them down any further. You would be far ahead to cut that mess out and start with new panels.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingrocks View Post
I'd replace both quarters. As beat up as they are, it's not even worth stripping them down any further. You would be far ahead to cut that mess out and start with new panels.
This is what I figured and I agree. I know my father paid ~$200 for all of this hackery back in 1974...im not taking the car this apart to put it back together in a half *** manor. Do quarters need to be completely replaced? Or would they just replace part of a quarter? I do not pack the skills to do this job myself...and really, i dont want to learn on the fly with this car.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Joe View Post
This is what I figured and I agree. I know my father paid ~$200 for all of this hackery back in 1974...im not taking the car this apart to put it back together in a half *** manor. Do quarters need to be completely replaced? Or would they just replace part of a quarter? I do not pack the skills to do this job myself...and really, i dont want to learn on the fly with this car.
Given that one side has already had the lower half patched behind the wheel patched, I'd go ahead and replace the whole panel. If the damage was really as bad as it looks, there may be additional damage that you can't see until you have the outer panel cut away. It would be easier (and probably cheaper in the long run) to just replace both panels instead of sectioning in pieces.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Check out this thread, you'll see how the quarter was sectioned on this car. I recommend the same for your car. The way this one is done saves hours of fitting and alignment problems involved with some of the repro panels.

See page 3....

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...oom-vroom.html
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Check out this thread, you'll see how the quarter was sectioned on this car. I recommend the same for your car. The way this one is done saves hours of fitting and alignment problems involved with some of the repro panels.

See page 3....

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...oom-vroom.html
Nice, thanks for the link! Personally I have no preferance on how its fixed, so long as its done correctly. In the case of my car, the area behind the side vents is also full of filler....This is as I was working on the drivers side, hard to see, but many dings and waves in there.

passenger side

So im not sure what the best way is...I have made a few contacts in a couple of restoration shops in my area, one of which I have known for a long time and trust..So I will be asking some opinions. But if the whole quarter needs doing, im fine with it, I just want it done right.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:42 PM

Full panels are the way to go for sure. My quarters were all hacked up just like yours from the 70's. Here's an after shot with fresh full quarter panels on my 68.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/signaturepics/sigpic89170_1.gif

Last edited by everythingford; 11-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey everyone…its been a while since my last update…sorry for the delay, but life gets busy and my time for internet posting usually suffers most….

So since I last posted I was still look for a shop to do the metal work/paint. I talked to many over the period of several months…Had many people come look at the car and give me quotes…In the end I found who I feel is the right guy right down the street from my house. They have had the car since the summer and are working on it in stages…which is how I wanted it given the budget im working with. In the end we decided to do the full quarters.
They first media blasted the shell

Driver side

the drivers front fender that was on my car was in really shape...when my dad bought the car in 74 it was smashed up, so he found one off a 68 in the junk yard that was “less dented” . It was still piled with bondo though and I decided to replace it with a new fender

there were some rust holes on the top of the inner fender, they repaired them

both doors had a small bit of rust at the bottom corner, those are now fixed

then the passenger side quarter

Metal work is just about done, then it will need some body work and paint. Meantime at my house I have been cleaning up the 390. Tore it down a little bit just to replace some gaskets that had not been touched since 2001.

So that’s what I have for the moment…ill try to keep some more pics and news coming…
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 AM

That's a great story, I died laughing about what you said about parking it under the tree, that's funny. For everyone of stories I read about cars that are passed down, there must be 100 stories about the car "dad" had back in the day and sold it. That's a priceless car you have there. Enjoy
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Garage
Great car and story. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

1967 S-code GT built Dec 13, 1966
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:38 AM

Thanks for sharing, lots of touching thoughts striking home for me.

67 Fastback 351c TKO

Cranky Pics and info at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127023
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

So a quick update. I know its been a while, life is busy and time for the mustang is also way down on the list

Quarters and metal work is like 97% complete. Car was sealed with dupont DTM

Shell is now in primer...

Meantime back at my shop...I put the motor back together. This is the original 390. Its mildly modified, but my goal was to make it look as stock as possible. I totally rebuilt it in 2001, it might have 4-5000 miles on it since then. Runs absolutely perfectly, so I just stripped it down to the long block, cleaned it up, replaced gaskets, repainted.

Intake, timing cover, oil pan, rockers back on

cleaned up a few parts

Zinc plated fan/pulley from amk, some alumiblast paint from eastwood, some broze rustolem...I think this looks much better

Motor painted...valve covers are the originals...they are wrecked so I dont feel bad about using them as paint covers.

Most everything put together.

Next up...cleaning up the transmission/rear end.
Grabber70Mach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page