How to tell if my engine is original - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

How to tell if my engine is original

I just bought a 1968 mustang coupe and I am trying to figure out if the engine is original. The VIN is 8T01C14xxxx. I haven't got the engine out yet so I can't see everything, but the casting code above the starter is C5A6015E. If I understand the casting codes correctly, this means that the block was cast in 1965. I think my car was assembled in August 1968. Is the actual VIN number supposed to be stamped somewhere on the block or is there supposed to be a plate on the block that I will find once I get the engine out?

Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 AM

The casting code simply means that the part in question was designed for the model year indicated. That design may have been used for many years. You need to find the date codes that are also cast into engine parts like the block, heads, manifolds, etc. These will tell you the exact month, day and year the part was cast on. If your car was assembled in August, 1968 the engine date codes should look like this- 8F30 or 8G6 which represent 1968 June 30 and 1968 July 6 respectively.

According to Federal Law the manufacturers were supposed to start stamping a portion of the VIN into the engine block for the 1968 year model but there are many known examples where it wasn't done.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM

On my #matching 1968 302 J-code, the vin is partially stamped on the block. It is located on a flat spot just behind the passenger side head. It has the first 4 and last 4 digits of the Vin. For example, the vin you posted is: 8T01C14xxxx so the stamped number on the block would be: 8T01xxxx. The c14 will be missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vin.jpg (45.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg vin-arrow.jpg (46.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by lennyB; 02-09-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page