Classic Car Blasting - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Classic Car Blasting

Hello-

I thought I would introduce our business. We run a classic car media blasting facility in NH. We specialize in complete vehicle blasting all types of classic cars, hot rods, and bikes.

One of the members here is also one of our customers and referred me to the site. We are obviously not Mustang-specific, but we have media blasted a bunch of them!

We our in the process of blasting our 25th car (a '69 Chevelle) since opening our doors in January. In addition, we have blasted a whole bunch of bike frames, truck frames, and parts/panels. You can see a long page of pics of our work here:

Sand Blasting - Classic Car Sandblasting

There are a lot of myths / misconceptions about car media blasting, so we'd be glad to answer any questions that you may have about the process.

Thanks for listening,

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting: www.classiccarblasting.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Opposite ends of the country, nice website,...

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Opposite ends of the country, nice website,...
Thanks! We update the pictures almost daily.

I figured that most people won't be local to us, but we can provide guidance on choosing a local blaster too...we see WAY too many cars ruined by improper blasting!

Phil

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarBlasting View Post
......but we can provide guidance on choosing a local blaster too...we see WAY too many cars ruined by improper blasting! Phil
Guide me,.....

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

It really comes down to 5 things:

1. Blast media
2. Blast PSI
3. Nozzle size
4. Blaster experience
5. Time

As an example, we blast using 40-70 (fine/med) crushed glass which is softer than many media that are commonly used, like coal slag (aka "black beauty"). We also blast between 40-70 PSI max, which is very low. We use small 1/4" nozzle (small for a commercial-sized pot). The angle (user experience) that you are using is also a big factor. The down side is, #1-3 above translate into taking more time to blast. Blasting a full car body correctly takes quite a bit of time and patience.

From an example perspective, we commonly talk to people that have been told by sandblasters (that don't typically focus on car bodies) that they can do a whole body in anywhere from 3 (the lowest I have heard) to 5 hours. This may be true, but to accomplish this you have to use a very aggressive media and/or a high blast PSI...neither which is good for body panels. The aggressive "profile" that is left on the metal, warping, heat, blow-thru are all common issues using the "strip it fast" strategy. We have actually had several car bodies in the shop that have been incorrectly blasted and require panel replacement (typically warped roofs, hoods, and qtrs).

By comparison, it takes us about 12 hours to completely strip a shell (inside/outside/underneath).

When choosing a blaster...ask ALL of the above. Also make sure that they have done several cars and you can call references. Nearly all sandblasters will say, "we can do that." Be leery of pricing under $500 for a full body and time estimates below 8 hours.

I hope this is helpful?

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Still stripping her down then wanna cut out the rusted areas, what kinda time frame would you image for a project like this, not a lot there, even the rear frame will be replaced, so that'll not be needing blasting.

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Another concern is the humidity down here in Louisiana, I'll probably be wanting to do it sometime in the cooler months, winters get really cold down here, maybe 60 ish , but the humidity will be down which is my main concern.

During the summer months, immediate flash rusting has me really worried, immediate as in right after you blast that area.

8:00 at night, I was watering my wife's newly planted shrubs, all I was doing was holding the water hose, and sweat was just pouring off; it's brutal in July / August.

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

One of the biggest time factors besides surface area is layers of paint. When using a softer media at a lower PSI, more pliable materials are harder to remove than rust. As an example, a Mustang Fastback that we did a few months ago had 3 layers of paint, relatively fresh clear coat, and the whole car was sprayed with a thin layer of bondo as a base. All of this translated into taking about 3+ hours longer than planned. So what we do when we price is we give a range...like $500-$800. If we beat our time (the high estimate) the customer pays less. If we exceed our time, the customer never pays more than the "high" side of the estimate. This way, when you drop off your body, you know that you will pay no more than "x". I would recommend trying to work this way with your local blaster. Too many blasters will give a quote and double it when you go to pick up. Get your quote in writing.

I would say that your car is a 5-8 (max) hour project. Keep in mind that this is us using our process and our spray pattern is only 2-3" wide.

Regarding humidity, we had a tough July up here too. We had parts flashing within 16 hours of being blasted. In non-humid months, typical flash time is about 3 days on flat surfaces (like the roof). To help with this, we offer a zinc-phosphate spray. It prolongs flashing to 4+ weeks even in humid weather. We use a product from Eastwood:

Eastwood After Blast - Metal Prep

...It works very well and can be primed or powder coated over with no issues. We have had very good luck with it and most of our customers will go this route as they are relying on a body shop to spray (and we all know how this goes from a timing perspective) and this product gives them a few months of insurance. It's a simple spray on and wipe product.

Phil

Last edited by ClassicCarBlasting; 08-08-2013 at 10:19 AM.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Lots of great info here. Thanks. And I'm sure I don't speak for myself!

Regards,
Patrick
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
You're welcome! I honestly think we spend as much time talking about the blasting process as we do actually blasting...But we enjoy it!

Phil

post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
Quote:
You're welcome! I honestly think we spend as much time talking about the blasting process as we do actually blasting...But we enjoy it!

Phil
Don't mind him, thats my little brother, he feels the need to follow me on every post that I make. Wants to be sure that he's not missing anything!

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM

And see...that wasn't even an attempt at a thread jack.

Regards,
Patrick
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM

These guys blasted my car and did a great job. I loved the way it came out!

Of course, I picked the hottest most humid week of the summer to have my car blasted. I picked it up in the afternoon and dropped it off at the body shop the same day for epoxy. They blasted it a day later.... I can't imagine having this done and then not making 10000% sure that the body shop will epoxy it as soon as it comes in.

I'll be bringing my doors, hood and trunk over for blasting when I get to that point of the restoration.

-Mike

1967 Mustang GTA 390
2015 F-150 3.5 "Eco"Boost

Freshly media blasted and epoxied! Metal work begins soon!
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I figured that most people won't be local to us, but we can provide guidance on choosing a local blaster too..

Phil
Refer them to me if they are in the Midwest/st.louis to Evansville Indiana area! Lol I too have a media blasting business
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM

How about someone in the Stockton, CA. area, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page