stainless molding polishing - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

stainless molding polishing

just seeing what happends here....polishing stainless molding for these mustangs has been a fun thing for me to do for years and friends have said i should

start doing it for customers after doing some for them, so i'm thinking on trying it out and offering to do etheir the front windshield set or rear window

molding set for 125. plus the shipping back to you.i don't know what professional shops charge anymore its been awhile since i checked but i have been

told its a bit more than that, that being said if anyone wants some moldings buffed/polished let me know what you have! most scratches if not all come out

but dents don't so if yours have dents i can do my best....Jim stang@coolmustangs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM

I just did my front & rear glass moulding. It's not perfect but pretty damn good. It is a lot of work starting from the ground floor & trashing around to find the best method...but the cost is not bad....IF you already have a bench grinder.

Personally, being a DIY guy, I'd rather invest my money in tooling....but your price is not bad.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks, yea I thought the price is pretty desent...a few years ago I did a show car and had it all done and yikes it was exspensive! but I like doing it so we will see.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Pick up the skill of taking out dents and you will do good! I had to hammer out a lot of them, file it flat and then polish them. Time consuming work!

1966 GT Fastback, restoration almost there! Code T Red with White LeMans stripes.
2015 GT Fastback - Deep Impact Blue
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM

The price you quote is way below that of a pro shop. Way below. I was quoted over $700 by one high end shop that specialized in the process. If you calculate the hours it takes to do it right* I'd say you are below minimum wage on the job.

*straighten, fix dents, sand out deep scratches and finally multi-stage buff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page