Ford Mustang Registry Approved by Ford - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 AM

I'm sorry, but I refuse to join any registry that has a category for Fiesta ST and none for Mach 1.

There are too many red flags for me here. First, you must register an account before getting anywhere. Second, the site proclaims to be helping a charity with proceeds. Looking at this from a completely cynical point of view this looks a lot like email address harvesting to me. There are far too many charities that are little more than slush funds and Save A Wild Mustang is still pending 501c status so it's far too early to tell with this one.

Pete's money grab assessment seems pretty reasonable at this point.
Dave R. likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Make America Great Again. lol. Jeeze!

289; .30 over bore; edelbrock intake, 1406 600 cfm carb; Lowering coil springs on front; HEI dizzy; 2.25 tri-y's; H-pipe trans-go shift kit ;
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzof View Post
While registries are a noble cause (to some) the list of those that started, struggled, and died... is long.

- 68 S code registry - done by Guy Ramsey 2002. Now a point-in-time static artifact.
- At least two other web based S code registries I know of, both dead. All data lost, or just out of date.
- The mentioned In Search of Mustangs. Great effort, no another historic artifact of "what was".
- The Cal Special registry, done over many years then shelved by the collector to the Peterson Museum and locked away. Again, now a static point-in-time reference of interest, but does nothing for anyone other than "what was". (now being repeated by the current CS website, recollecting data and currently far less than was available).

Many others.

And by their nature they are always pretty much guaranteed to be incomplete and/or out of date. So, IMHO, not sure what the point is... other than a way to show "there are maybe more cars of this type than listed..." (assuming it is actively managed, not set-it-and-forget-it as most registries are)

Unless there is a "permanent" organization with long term structure (paying members and a group to manage, not an individual) to keep it active) a-la SAAC (Shelby registry) and individual doing it a a "labor of love" is pretty much wasting their time, as it will eventually fail to be managed and be another legacy point-in-time curiosity. Even SAAC has ahard time manging a registry of a few thousand cars, let alone the millions this Ford registry covers...

And then there is the aspect of more personal data on a sever to be hacked.

Good luck!
You've made some good points about registries coming and going and data being lost after a lot of effort. This is a principle reason why I started a single, unified registry. You've also pointed out about clubs and dues. Clubs are simply on the decline and fewer and fewer people are paying dues - especially with the amount of various forums out there and the rise of Facebook group pages.

One thing that we want to do is create a historical record for a certain VIN. In this way, sometime in the future when people search it, they will get some insight as to its past.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
I'm sorry, but I refuse to join any registry that has a category for Fiesta ST and none for Mach 1.

There are too many red flags for me here. First, you must register an account before getting anywhere. Second, the site proclaims to be helping a charity with proceeds. Looking at this from a completely cynical point of view this looks a lot like email address harvesting to me. There are far too many charities that are little more than slush funds and Save A Wild Mustang is still pending 501c status so it's far too early to tell with this one.

Pete's money grab assessment seems pretty reasonable at this point.
I have two 1969 Mach1s and have thought about doing a registry for that too - but there are ones for those out there already. Not sure about moving ahead with it.

The reason why we're NOT accepting money is because we're pending 501c. It either is a non-profit or it isn't and until we are approved by the I.R.S. - we are not. Once we're a 501c, we can open it up, but not until then.

And you raise another excellent point - how many non-profits squander money they raise? How many scams have you seen? The registry is a way to support those efforts by offering something to someone who registers rather than just asking for donations.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Good luck

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Noble idea.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 42 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Mustang Registry View Post
I have two 1969 Mach1s and have thought about doing a registry for that too - but there are ones for those out there already.
Yet you have one for Boss 302's. You also didn't address my concern about collecting email addresses.

1970 Mach 1 M code

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yet you have one for Boss 302's. You also didn't address my concern about collecting email addresses.
Quote:
There wasn't an online registry for the Boss 302s where there are several for the Mach1s. Mind you, there isn't a unified Mach1 registry - it's by year and that's not a good as a unified one. I just don't want to come across that I'm out to be the holy grail of registries. Rather, I'd like to have a relationship with what's already out there and not duplicate efforts.

What's your though about a Mach1 registry - every year that a Mach1 was made?

About the e-mails and other data that you're asking about, here's a link to our policy, which can found on each registries page:
http://www.allfordregistry.com/docum...stry%20TOS.pdf

We ONLY (bold, underline and in red) share data collected with the Ford Motor Company.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

This is on the top of page 5 at the link posted above

Use of information by third parties
Registrant information may be used outside of the All Ford Registry for use
by the Ford Motor Company.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
Tough crowd in here...

I think you're on the right track with forming the Registry as an actual nonprofit organization with accountability to the IRS and whatever state you're in. That makes this Registry significantly more legitimate than a simple website registry some dude made up on his own server in his spare time for his own curiosity. Best of luck!
66whitepony likes this.

Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17s
+ Shelby drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + MP LEDs + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:35 PM

Garage
Don't the wild Mustangs of the southwest all (or mostly) belong to the Native American tribes anyway? Back in the 90s I saw hundreds of them driving through Navaho country (4-Corners). Last year I saw none and asked why and was told the Navaho had rounded them up and sold them. It was sad, but what can you do if they don't belong to the U.S.?
Rorin67 likes this.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM

Like Richard, I too have been in the hobby long enough to see various registries come and go. Notwithstanding the possible provenance component that might be possible through this effort which bridges the owner gap between the Marti report and the current owner, I am puzzled by the"Save the Wild Mustangs" component.

Are we talking actual horses? If so, exactly Who, Where, and What is being saved and how is such an activity sustainable over time? What is the operating budget of this wild horse effort?

I know this sounds like I am raining on your parade. I just do not get how an equestrian rescue organization has anything to do with tracking the ownership of an old car. A quick google search turns up more than 200 equine rescue groups that are likely competing for the same charitable dollars.

Frankly, It sounds as if this is the answer to the question that no one is asking.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM

Boss 302 Registry

I do appreciate your privacy policy.

Side note: Wild mustangs and feral pigs are both non-native invasive species brought here by the Spanish.*

* No, I'm not saying they should be wiped out or allowed to die off.

1970 Mach 1 M code

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledoodoo View Post
Don't the wild Mustangs of the southwest all (or mostly) belong to the Native American tribes anyway? Back in the 90s I saw hundreds of them driving through Navaho country (4-Corners). Last year I saw none and asked why and was told the Navaho had rounded them up and sold them. It was sad, but what can you do if they don't belong to the U.S.?
Wild Mustangs are rounded up each year and then sold off. Many have been in federal holding pins for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
Like Richard, I too have been in the hobby long enough to see various registries come and go. Notwithstanding the possible provenance component that might be possible through this effort which bridges the owner gap between the Marti report and the current owner, I am puzzled by the"Save the Wild Mustangs" component.

Are we talking actual horses? If so, exactly Who, Where, and What is being saved and how is such an activity sustainable over time? What is the operating budget of this wild horse effort?

I know this sounds like I am raining on your parade. I just do not get how an equestrian rescue organization has anything to do with tracking the ownership of an old car. A quick google search turns up more than 200 equine rescue groups that are likely competing for the same charitable dollars.

Frankly, It sounds as if this is the answer to the question that no one is asking.
YOU asked a great question. There are a lot of "Save a Mustang" - yes, the wild horse groups out there fighting for the same dollars. We're not so keen on going the donation in route in total because I quite frankly don't think it's sustainable in the long term. That's why we've added the Ford Mustang Community component, which has been overlooked. By offering registration certs., and other Ford authorized merchandise, we believe that we have something that can better sustain what we want to accomplish.

In regard to your long term answer - as long as we are in compliance with Ford's policies and Ford continues to make cars, there will always be new owners that will have a desire to register them and purchase goods from us.

Asking questions isn't raining on my parade at all - we want to be open and answer questions.
pprince likes this.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM

Garage
Thumbs Up Sign up

I have no problem with anyone trying to preserve info on the cars, but when I first saw it, there was the comments on registration numbers and who had what. So far, I haven't a clue as to find out my reg # and there's no reference or instructions as to how to get it. I also saw the usual Shelby, Roush lists for newer ones, but none for the smaller companies like Steeda or CDC's Outlaws.
Good luck with the project, as I know it'll be useful and a pain to keep up with all the work involved!

64 9/10 Convertible- 388,000 miles & counting (2nd owner)- Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014
65 GT Convertible
65 K GT Fastback- 59,000 original miles
Original 65 pedal car
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014
69 Grande'- 1 of 11 on colors- 1 of 1 w/ options
2016 GT convertible w/ CDC Outlaw #13 package- delivered 10/27.
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
2000 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page