EFI gas tanks? group buy interest? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM

EFI gas tanks? group buy interest?

Well, thing is I'm at a point in my project I don't want to do/spend anything on my car unless it will get the car driving so I can go around the block.

Currently the car runs but is on dialysis:

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1459902835.824934.jpg

I have my 5 gal dump can hooked up to my mechanical pump and a single 3/8" stainless fuel line run back to the tank. All I have to do is finish welding in the trunk drop downs, drop a carb ready gas tank in and go for a ride. With the weather warming up and not driving the car for 4 years I'd rather spend the summer driving the car than running fuel pump wiring, regulator, return line. I hope you can appreciate where I'm coming from.

If a stock sending would fit the spectre tank it would be install, fill, drive. Then worry about the return style system later and I could use the same tank with their in tank pump that goes in where the sending unit goes.

Last edited by Riley; 04-05-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 PM

A stock Spectra fuel tank is around $100 and the stock sending unit is around $50. Less than half the price of the EFI tank.

It looks like the tank opening for the sending is the same on both tanks, but whether the "turkey pan" will interfere with the stock sending unit, who knows?

post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 PM

Yeah I pretty much want to run the turkey pan tank with the in tank pump removed with my carb until I'm ready for efi.

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonebooth View Post
Tanks inc has a new 16 and 22 gallon EFI tank-

would need about 15 people to make it a worthwhile savings- Pm or email me
I thought you were pushing the Ricks tanks a few years back?
This has become a nightmare trying to figure out which tank to use without spending $1k or better. Not a fan of the 'turkey pan' setup from spectra so I would like to see the internals of the Tanks inc. pan.
I'm needing an EFI tank with fuel lines outside trunk, very soon, and still cannot figure which way to go.

Last edited by riles; 04-15-2016 at 12:50 PM.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Spectra was the only one I found that had the line outside the tank. Maybe Rick's MTF is outside but was out of my ballpark but looked very well made.

1969 Mustang Convertible
302, C4, P/S, P/B, A/C, FiTech EFI
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:11 PM

I agree, $900-1200 for a gas tank is a bit steep. This tank search has been the biggest problem I've had with this build.
I do like the MTF but can't see spending $1k for it.
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles View Post
I thought you were pushing the Ricks tanks a few years back?
This has become a nightmare trying to figure out which tank to use without spending $1k or better. Not a fan of the 'turkey pan' setup from spectra so I would like to see the internals of the Tanks inc. pan.
I'm needing an EFI tank with fuel lines outside trunk, very soon, and still cannot figure which way to go.
i still sell the ricks tanks but the price point isnt anywhere close to these..

ive used 5 ricks tanks in builds thus far- plus my own personal vert has that-- no hoses inside trunk-

id like to do efi on the wifes vert but it doesnt need a $1200 tank either thats why i was looking for something decent for the $400 range--

the spectra can be bought off rock auto for 380?

im just not thinking thats a very good baffle but what do i know :-)

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Garage
Tanks Inc. has their tank, pump and sending unit for $465 from CJ Pony parts, and if you use a coupon code of "IMBACK" you get another 5% off. It has a 4.3L sump, which is bigger than the Spectra. I just received mine for $442.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Tanks Inc. has their tank, pump and sending unit for $465 from CJ Pony parts, and if you use a coupon code of "IMBACK" you get another 5% off. It has a 4.3L sump, which is bigger than the Spectra. I just received mine for $442.
How's the baffling on that tank?
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riles View Post
How's the baffling on that tank?

I'll put my bore-scope in the tank and look around, and if possible take a few pics. The fuel pump sits in the middle of the 4.3L tray.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Garage
Here are the pics of the 4.3L tray, and it is about 3" deep and about 12" wide. In the bottom of the tray are a few 3/8" holes for the gas to get into the tray. I hope the pics came out OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0001.JPG (22.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0002.JPG (18.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0003.JPG (26.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0004.JPG (26.8 KB, 34 views)

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Here are the pics of the 4.3L tray, and it is about 3" deep and about 12" wide. In the bottom of the tray are a few 3/8" holes for the gas to get into the tray. I hope the pics came out OK.
Interesting. Do you think the tray is much different in size than the Spectra tank that cougar70 took pictures of? Is the tray in the same position?
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8134 View Post
Interesting. Do you think the tray is much different in size than the Spectra tank that cougar70 took pictures of? Is the tray in the same position?

The tray looks much larger than the Spectra. No, the tray in the Tanks Inc. runs width wise the longest (from left to right), whereas the Spectra tray looks like it runs length wise the longest (front to back). It's also much deeper.

I have the fuel pump and the sending unit installed in the tank. Trying to decide how I want to run the lines. I'm thinking of using the opening that the sending unit wire went through for the return line (bulkhead fitting), and then drilling another hole above it for the main supply line. W/O the tank in place it is easy to mockup the routing before I cut the PTFE line.

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:02 PM

Despite small concerns on the fuel connection I just ordered the Spectra tank from Rockauto $329.78 with shipping. Everybody else was $100 more. I won't run fuel lines through the trunk on a family cruiser.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Despite small concerns on the fuel connection I just ordered the Spectra tank from Rockauto $329.78 with shipping. Everybody else was $100 more. I won't run fuel lines through the trunk on a family cruiser.
I
Can you post the link or part number for the tank on Rockauto? I've looked there a bunch of times and am never certain I'm looking at the right tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page