17x8 and beyond wheel research - Vintage Mustang Forums

 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
2nd 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
17x8 and beyond wheel research

First off I really like my new to me last year 16's ,,But I got a pair of free 225/45/17's and I've been doing research on putting 17's on my 66. I hope Shaun from SorT chimes in I found a couple of old pics of his 66


Now the 245/45/17 set up in the 1st pic I can understand although it must be super tight? The 2nd pic shows what I think are FR500's only available as a 17x9? Is this really doable ? Well without some serious surgery anyway ?? I mean I don't mind doing a little clearancing hear or there I already did some clearance work on the UCA around the ball joint shroud
Seems that most specs for a stockish 65/66 are 4.5 to 4.75 Backspace on a 17x8 wheel
If any one has pics of a 65/66 with 17x8 post them please along with all your specs and if you found a way to do the 17x9 share that to

2nd 66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
GearHeadPeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 638
Garage
I have 17x8 - 2001 Bullitt rims with NITTO NT555 235x45x17 tires mounted. The back tires have a 10mm spacer, and the fronts currently have a 1/2" adapter. Since I did the Shelby 1" drop I am going to take off the 1/2" adapters and see if the rims clear the upper ball joint. The rims I believe have a 4.5" back spacing. The backs tires are pretty close to touching the fender lip, and I've done a bit of surgery to make sure it doesn't hit them, but so far I haven't rolled them. I also put 16 adjustment rear shocks on so that helps with the rebound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side view.jpg (20.1 KB, 38 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

GearHeadPeter is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
2nd 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I have 17x8 - 2001 Bullitt rims with NITTO NT555 235x45x17 tires mounted. The back tires have a 10mm spacer, and the fronts currently have a 1/2" adapter. Since I did the Shelby 1" drop I am going to take off the 1/2" adapters and see if the rims clear the upper ball joint. The rims I believe have a 4.5" back spacing. The backs tires are pretty close to touching the fender lip, and I've done a bit of surgery to make sure it doesn't hit them, but so far I haven't rolled them. I also put 16 adjustment rear shocks on so that helps with the rebound.
I currently have 16x7 with a 4.5 backspace and a trimmed upper ball joint shroud and 225/50/16 so your 17's might fit without a spacer?
Not my favorite wheels at all but I found a crazy good deal on some 05+ Bullit wheels So those would need at least a 1.5" wheel adapter

2nd 66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Myopic
 
dodgestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 17,104
I bolted on 17x8 4.75 wheels with 245 40 17 tires on my 65 years ago and ran them till they were bald. Never rolled the fender lips.

The only thing 'special' about my suspension.....adjustable struts I suppose and -1.5 camber. The balance was roller spring perch, 620 1 inch drop spring, IAS shock

I run a 235 now because I couldn't get a 245 again in the tire I wanted when I was shopping.

Some shots with the 245s on the front








Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY

Last edited by dodgestang; 02-16-2017 at 08:39 PM.
dodgestang is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
2nd 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Thanks Nick,Looks killer. I'd still like to have Shaun tell us more about what appears to 17x9's on his 66

2nd 66 is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
GearHeadPeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 638
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I currently have 16x7 with a 4.5 backspace and a trimmed upper ball joint shroud and 225/50/16 so your 17's might fit without a spacer?
Not my favorite wheels at all but I found a crazy good deal on some 05+ Bullit wheels So those would need at least a 1.5" wheel adapter

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure my TCP front struts don't have a shroud on the upper ball joint. I just haven't had the time to jack up the front of the car and take off the adapters and try it. Maybe this weekend since I off for a few days, and my back will have time to recover. I'll report back.
2nd 66 likes this.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

GearHeadPeter is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Senior Member
 
burnout289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 336
Garage
I really don't think you'll get 17x9s on a '66 without some work...not sure if that shaved UCA will make a big enough difference. My '67 required flattening the front fender lips completely and as much as we could on the rear, and pulled/flared a bit all around. I had to play with spacers to clear the lip around the ball joint while still not rubbing the fender with 235/45 (although these tires run wide). I still get some rub in the back on bumps, but the old leafs are worn out and I have a new set waiting to go on that I am confident will resolve the issue altogether.

1967 Mustang Coupe
2013 Subaru BRZ
burnout289 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang View Post
I bolted on 17x8 4.75 wheels with 245 40 17 tires on my 65 years ago and ran them till they were bald. Never rolled the fender lips.

The only thing 'special' about my suspension.....adjustable struts I suppose and -1.5 camber. The balance was roller spring perch, 620 1 inch drop spring, IAS shock

I run a 235 now because I couldn't get a 245 again in the tire I wanted when I was shopping.

Some shots with the 245s on the front







That's interesting. I was under the impression that you could not run an 8" wheel in the front. Are you still running the 235 on the front on an 8" wheel without rolled fender lips?
Chaplin is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Myopic
 
dodgestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 17,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
That's interesting. I was under the impression that you could not run an 8" wheel in the front. Are you still running the 235 on the front on an 8" wheel without rolled fender lips?
Yes

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
gt350sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 2,917
Garage
I had 17x8 TT on the front of my '65 with 215/45r17's and they rubbed over bumps and corners. I ended up selling them and going down to 17x7 and have no issues now. I have 620 coils in the front, so not too much drop, and Granada brakes- not sure if that effected anything or not? The rear still has 17x8, same tire size, and they'll rub on the right side over hard bumps only- no fender rolling...yet.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
gt350sr is online now  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
RyanSterling966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Manhattan Beach
Posts: 2,156
Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
17x8 245/45/17's all around on mine as well. I really think it's the perfect car to tire ratio if you like twisty road but don't want to get crazy or make the car look too modern. In honesty with some of the compounds they have out now it's shocking how much grip you can get out of a 245 series tire.

My suspension is all non stock stuff and I did have to make custom steering stops to keep my rim from eating itself on my UCA at full lock. Makes parking lots annoying but canyons fun. So canyons won that debate.
2nd 66 and joespony67 like this.


My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
RyanSterling966 is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
2nd 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
I had 17x8 TT on the front of my '65 with 215/45r17's and they rubbed over bumps and corners. I ended up selling them and going down to 17x7 and have no issues now. I have 620 coils in the front, so not too much drop, and Granada brakes- not sure if that effected anything or not? The rear still has 17x8, same tire size, and they'll rub on the right side over hard bumps only- no fender rolling...yet.
Do you recall the backspacing,?

2nd 66 is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
2nd 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
17x8 245/45/17's all around on mine as well. I really think it's the perfect car to tire ratio if you like twisty road but don't want to get crazy or make the car look too modern. In honesty with some of the compounds they have out now it's shocking how much grip you can get out of a 245 series tire.

My suspension is all non stock stuff and I did have to make custom steering stops to keep my rim from eating itself on my UCA at full lock. Makes parking lots annoying but canyons fun. So canyons won that debate.
Backspaicing? you say NON STOCK suspension can you clarify ? by the pic it looks to be stockish AKA non Mustang II or rack and pinion ECT

2nd 66 is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
gt350sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 2,917
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Do you recall the backspacing,?
Pretty sure it was 4.5"- it was supposed to be a direct fit offset when ordered from American Racing Wheels to fit a 1965 Mustang..
2nd 66 likes this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
gt350sr is online now  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
RyanSterling966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Manhattan Beach
Posts: 2,156
Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Backspaicing? you say NON STOCK suspension can you clarify ? by the pic it looks to be stockish AKA non Mustang II or rack and pinion ECT
I am about 90% positive mine are 4.75 backspacing. My suspension is a stock-ish (arning drop of course and the arms have some geometry built in to them) coilover setup with tubular upper and lower arms. I am also not running R+P I am using a quick ratio borgeson box. Not a fan of racks in these cars for a bunch of reasons. Then topped it all off with a bumpsteer kit and replaced all bushings with heims or bearings. But it's not like the springs are on the lower control arm or anything. So I refer to it as stock-ish geometry.

What's funny about the photo I posted is that as composed as the car looks I am getting on it pretty hard. It's a hill I know well and had already made a few passes to check for debris. Point being even with "just" 245's all around you can get on it just about as hard as any sane grown up should be on a public road. You can make it over steer mid-corner if you want to close the radius up a bit but the lateral grip is far above what I thought was achievable without going to a more radically modified setup. So I guess what I am saying is maybe it's worth looking into a better compound as opposed to 20-30mm of shear width. Then again Im not a giant tire fan in general I feel like it can spoil the nostalgic look of a car so I am a bit design biased.
rpm and 2nd 66 like this.


My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler

Last edited by RyanSterling966; 02-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
RyanSterling966 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome