New Wheels and Tires, Car Pulls Left - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By awhtx
  • 1 Post By gt350sr

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

New Wheels and Tires, Car Pulls Left

Hey, this isn't for my Stang but I figured it was appropriate enough to post here anyways. I just put my summer wheels and tires on my daily driver (2012 Mercedes C350 4Matic) and now the car is pulling to the left. I checked the pressures and everything is good. The set has been sitting in the garage since I took them off in Nov and didn't have any issues then. I didn't have any issues with my winter (stock) wheels and tires either. I've been doing this for the last couple of years and have never encountered any issues with the car pulling. Also, there has been no abnormal vibes, noises or bumps and I've checked full lock to lock for no rubbing either. Everything feels nominal. Any thoughts?

'66 Coupe - Pro-touring in the making

289 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.70 gears
TCP suspension front and rear
18x8 Wheels and Baer 6P all four corners

And no more money left in my wallet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Possibly one of the tires has a belt that is starting to separate. I've seen it happen on tires that were not in use (spare) at the time.
IndyFive-O likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Garage
swap them side to side and see if the pull goes with it; yes = bad tire, no = alignment or other. If they're directional tires you may need to go front to back instead, but same theory applies.
gus91326 likes this.

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

The problem is that they're directional and staggered so each tire goes to each corner.

289 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.70 gears

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

So I swapped the front wheels and the car pulled hard to the right now, meaning the problem following the wheel. I looked at them otherwise and didn't see any issues with the tires themselves, but obviously something is wrong. I really don't want to buy new tires for the front.

289 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.70 gears

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Can you swap front to rear permanently? When you say staggered, is it just the TPMS system you're worried about? That can be reflashed at most tire shops for a small fee.

I cured a few pulls back in the mechanic days like by rotating tires(front to back, back to front). Just make sure there's no visible issues with the tire and you're good. A broken belt would be visible and most likely cause a vibration rather than a pull.

I had a truck once that felt like you were YANKING the wheel into the ditch...rotated tires completely cured the problem. Completely surprised me.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
So I swapped the front wheels and the car pulled hard to the right now, meaning the problem following the wheel. I looked at them otherwise and didn't see any issues with the tires themselves, but obviously something is wrong. I really don't want to buy new tires for the front.
You have your answer. The bad tire is on the side the car pulls to. If you are unable to install the bad tire on the rear then you need to replace it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

The tires are staggered in that the rear are 265s and the fronts are 225s. I inspected both tires and they look fine otherwise. The pull isn't terrible so I may just live with it for now unless it suddenly gets worse. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

289 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.70 gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page