Let's talk tire load rating - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Let's talk tire load rating

Discount Tire is refusing to sell me a tire that's load rated at 1,201 lbs per tire because according to their computer, that's not enough for a '66 Mustang.

Considering that this car weighs maybe 3,200 lbs and well under 4,000 with two people and a tank full of gas, is their computer failing them or is that truly too low of a load rating for the car?

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:32 AM

What size tire and brand is it? 1200 is a little low. look for something closer to 1400-1500 better safe then sorry

Last edited by cmefly; 04-05-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
What size tire and brand is it?
BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2, 215/45/17, Sport version.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Garage
I could see it if your car were a uni-Mustang, but it's not- it has 4 tires. 1,201 lbs x 4 = 4,804 lbs... plenty for what the car is rated at. I've got the same size tire on 2 of my '65's and they're rated for exactly the same weight.. Sounds to me like they don't want your business or $...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
I could see it if your car were a uni-Mustang, but it's not- it has 4 tires. 1,201 lbs x 4 = 4,804 lbs... plenty for what the car is rated at. I've got the same size tire on 2 of my '65's and they're rated for exactly the same weight.. Sounds to me like they don't want your business or $...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
See, that's what I was thinking too, but I'm no tire expert.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2, 215/45/17, Sport version.
I would imagine the factory tires in 1965 were not much over that 1201 lbs per tire. What rating were they advising you to use? That is also a really short tire. The rating goes way up with a taller tire. the 215 50 17 would be a better fit and higher rating.

Last edited by cmefly; 04-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Side note: I'm getting really sick of DT's safety crap. I should be able to buy what I want from them. By all means, advise me, heck, STRONGLY advise me...but at the end of the day, do what I ask...I pulled in for an air check once, and they said they could not let me leave without buying tires because they were under the safety margin. I just got in my truck, pulled out, and left. I hate being a jerk, but tires were another month away for me financially at that time. I will admit, I considered doing a burn out, but besides being dangerous, I probably would have blown a tires off. Imagine that walk of shame...

Per your post, weight bias needs to be considered as well. a 3800lb car with 60% biased to the front would be 1,140lb on each front tire (which could get kinda mushy from the sidewall). It's not truly spread out on each tire. I'm not sure what the distribution is for a stock 66, but take that into consideration.

EDIT: I re-read and saw 3,200#, not 3,800. That's only 960lb per tire with 60% front bias...well under the limit...they're on crack.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:24 AM

I've also been annoyed at DT's safety precautions at times but I also spent 35 years in the insurance industry. People who say "I want what I want" are the first to sue when they get crippled for life when a product fails. It's not that DT doesn't want your business, it wants to protect its own business from liability issues. You would do the same (or should) if you were in business for yourself. There are plenty of other places to buy tires.
69StangRestomod likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I get that. It's just that those regulations get in the way of common sense. The original pizza cutter bias plus probably had that load rating to compensate for inferior technology and materials. These modern tires will more than handle this cars weight, but the computer can't compensate for that.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Garage
I've never bought tires from DT- will they sell and mount them on your wheels if you bring them in loose off the car?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I've never bought tires from DT- will they sell and mount them on your wheels if you bring them in loose off the car?
Yes, unfortunately the cat is out of the bag on that one.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Yes, unfortunately the cat is out of the bag on that one.
What- you don't have a friend...

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
What- you don't have a friend...
Hahah, I think another tire place is going to sell me some tires for the light duty trailer I just made up.
gt350sr likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Garage
This is partially the reason why I pulled the trigger on a tire machine!! A local auto shop had a 2 year old Coats machine with the extendable bead breaker, tilt back top, and alloy wheel friendly; they got a new one from the franchisee, so sold the 'old' one to me... for $800! The problem was that all my friends found out I had it- I had to teach them how to use it, then charge them rent every time they did!! lol

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonajack View Post
I've also been annoyed at DT's safety precautions at times but I also spent 35 years in the insurance industry. People who say "I want what I want" are the first to sue when they get crippled for life when a product fails. It's not that DT doesn't want your business, it wants to protect its own business from liability issues. You would do the same (or should) if you were in business for yourself. There are plenty of other places to buy tires.
I figured it was liability...everything is about covering tails nowadays because people think they're owed every time something goes wrong. I suppose I'm not as mad at DT as I am that this is being done because some people have ruined it for the rest of us

I wish there was a "refused advice" paper to sign, but I'm betting a sly lawyer would be able to get around even that.

I did a metric ton of paintballing in high school and knew of a field that was shut down over a kid losing his eye - mind you, he signed the waiver, took his mask off on field which is definitely against the rules, was yelled at by refs...got hit, lost the eye....bye bye paintball field. Apparently even the "waivers" are worthless...

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page