Need help - Best tire size for a 66 Mustang 6 cylinder. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Wheel and Tire Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help - Best tire size for a 66 Mustang 6 cylinder.

Hi - I'm going to purchase 4 new tires for my 66 Mustang 6 cylinder coupe. It currently has P205/70R14 blackwall tires. I want to purchase white sidewall tires in a size that is close to the original 6.95x14. Would this be P195/75R14 or P205/75R14 or maybe another size?

I have looked at many posts and on the Internet but I haven't found a good answer.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

According to Tirerack.com, the stock tire size is listed as 185/75/14. This should be on the stock size rim. The 195/75/14 would be closer than the 205. But it depends on what wheels you will be using. Wider than original wheels might make a stock size tire look narrower as the tread width does not change, but the sidewall gets wider. It doesn't really change anything, it's just that a wider rim can make the tire tread look proportionally narrower.

I saw your other post about mags. There are some 14"x7" mags being made for the 4 lug. Are you looking for the chrome Cragar style or the aluminum slot style? I did see a set of 14"x7" slots on ebay the other day.

The 7" rims would not look right with a tire in 185/205 range. A 225/70 or 235/70 is a better match.
opelbits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi opelbits. Thanks for the input. I was looking to replace the original steel wheels and 66 spinner hubcaps with a "Cragar type" mag wheel but there isn't much available in a 4 bolt 14" rim. I don't like the slotted type rims like the Outlaw II. So, I decided to keep the original steel rims and 66 spinner hubcaps and replace the current blackwall tires with a whitewall tire. I think that early Mustangs need a whitewall with the original hubcaps.

I have decided to purchase 4 whitewall Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires in the size P195/75/R14.

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I didn't purchase the 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires since the online dealers who carry them want to charge you $90.00 for mounting and balancing from a tire dealer they will send the tires to. They will not send them to my home. The tire company was TireBuyer.com.

I checked around and found the following tire for $65.00 each shipped to my home for free with no tax or other charges. It is a Kumho Solus KR21 P195/75R14 92T WSW (white sidewall) with a 85,000 mile warranty. I bought them from Discount Tire Direct for $260.00. I should have them by Wednesday.

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

The problem with the Cragar (and Torque Thrust) wheels is they are a five spoke design. It's tough to get the same look with a four lug wheel since it limits you to four spokes. They did make some four spoke/four lug, but it's almost always in a 13" rim size. I agree with you on the Outlaws, I was thinking more like the old Ansen Sprint (although Summit only shows it in 15x7 with a 4 x 4 1/2" lug pattern). I've attached a pic of my old 70 with the slotted mags on it. Just never could get into the Cragar SS style and Torque Thrusts were crazy expensive back then.

I know what you mean about the mounting and balancing. I get my tires from Tirerack, but I have an independent tire shop near me that charges $14 per tire for mounting and balancing. Even if you get a good deal on tires online, if you can't find a shop with a reasonable m/b rate, it wipes out whatever savings you get online. Plus, as I found out, major chains will charge more for the tire and include mounting, but balancing and valve stems are extra, usually still at $15 per tire. Bring your own tire in and they want $20-$25 per tire.

I don't have any experience with the Uniroyals, but I can tell you that the Kumhos will really surprise you. I've used various Kumhos (Ecsta ASX, Solus, Venture) and have not been disappointed in the least. I don't buy my tires for 'extreme dry weather traction'. We have rain, snow, and ice here and it will sneak up on you. Give me something that will get me home safely during a pop-up thunderstorm or even snow. The Kumhos have never disappointed me. The cheaper Solus tires on my Opel have more grip in the wet than the previous Pirellis did in the dry...and the Pirellis were wider. Even my Safari van has trouble sliding in the wet with the Ventures on it.

The only down side to the Kumhos is that I usually get only half the tread life out of them. I don't think that matters on a hobby car. Most of the time the tires will get hard and start cracking before they wear out. On my daily driver's, I've paid a lot more for tires that didn't perform half as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Mustang.jpg (53.8 KB, 20 views)
opelbits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbirdtony View Post
Well, I didn't purchase the 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires since the online dealers who carry them want to charge you $90.00 for mounting and balancing from a tire dealer they will send the tires to. They will not send them to my home. The tire company was TireBuyer.com.

I checked around and found the following tire for $65.00 each shipped to my home for free with no tax or other charges. It is a Kumho Solus KR21 P195/75R14 92T WSW (white sidewall) with a 85,000 mile warranty. I bought them from Discount Tire Direct for $260.00. I should have them by Wednesday.

Thanks for all of the input.
Thank you for your support Tbirdtony!
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Discount Tire - I am very happy with your customer assistance. I emailed Don through Ebay and talked to and ordered the tires from Sean on your 800 number. I would recommend you guys to anyone.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.