sticky 225 60 15's - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

sticky 225 60 15's

I like my 15 x 7 Torque Thrust D wheels, but as we all know, there is a very limited selection of sticky tires for this diameter. The Accelera Alpha V rated tires are really cheap, about $80 shipped on Ebay, but are summer performance rated with 300 tread wear. I have always steered clear because of the low price, thinking they must be low quality. I finally got a couple and mounted and balanced them myself. All looks good, balanced about normal, mounted nice, look OK. They actually grip pretty damn good on dry pavement. No road noise issues. Time will tell, so far so good.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 PM

I've been shopping for that size tire too. Not too many choices. I don't really want to go with the BFG Radial TA's again. I'm wondering if a set of Toyos or Cooper Touring CS5's would grip better.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

The pros say the TA's are about the worst. Old tech, poor traction.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 AM

This is what I just got.

Vredestein Sportrac 5

I didn't trust the Accelera Alpha because I couldn't find many U.S. users in that size. To my knowledge you are the only one on here running them. Hopefully if they work out for you that can be another option for us.

Last edited by jdub; 03-07-2016 at 12:33 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Let us know how those Vredestein's work out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladezo View Post
The pros say the TA's are about the worst. Old tech, poor traction.
Who are all these "pros" that say that? Pro's of what? Daily driving? Drag racing? Autocross? Highway driving? Endurance racing? Off-roading? Drifting? Names please, and more than just a few if it's not too much trouble.

A few inconvenient facts for you;

The T/A outperforms the Cooper Cobra (it's main competition) in nearly every objective testing category, including lateral grip and tread wear, to name two. I can find that independent tire test review again, if need be.

According to 1010tires.com, the T/A has an overall review rating of 4.9 on a scale of 5. It's interesting to note that a close examination of the lowest rated reviews reveals that a large number of respondents thought that a 1 rating was the highest rating possible. Read the comments sections.

The T/A has been and continues to be one of the most successful and longest running performance production tires, ever made.

It's great that you feel you have found a superior alternative to the T/A. Let us know how that works out, and how long they last. I must say I find your opinion entirely subjective, ill-informed, and in the case of your new tires, way too early to be conclusive.

It's a shame that there are so few performance tires available in some of the sizes many of us want. But that doesn't make one of the most popular, best selling and well regarded tires in history "about the worst". In point of fact, given the lack of comparable tires available, and their ratings, one could also conclude the T/A's are "about the best".

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Lt. Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans, U.S. Navy-"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go in harm's way..."

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-18-2016 at 08:15 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 AM

I have the T/A's on my 66. They get the job done. The main reason I choose them was they just have the "right look". Just put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mach. Now that is an AWESOME tire The best $1500.00 I ever spent. Too bad they don't come in the right sizes for the old schools and raised whites.

Currently in my garage:
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe. 289 V8 w/5-speed.
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 w/mods
1998 Ford Ranger Supercab Flareside 4X4
2005 Ford Focus ST w/minor mods (daily driver)
Hyundai...translation into english: Low credit score.
Toyota Tundra...So crappy, even Dodge outsells it!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

4ocoius, I have run TA's myself, I do write from experience. Go to any tire shop and talk about the TA's and they will tell you what I wrote. People buy them for their looks. My favorite tire was the Firestone SZ50EP, until they quit making them in my size. I am careful about what I write and do not blow hot air. Want to have a tire smoking contest? Get TA's. 400+ HP was my setup until recently I went back to a stock cam. I like a quick hole shot, always have. The TA's are long running, too long, old tech, just for looks.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
The T/A has been and continues to be one of the most successful and longest running performance production tires, ever made.
Americans like McDonald's, iPhones and Starbucks too. We'll settle for mediocrity when it's any combination of trendy/the only/cheapest/most convenient choice.

I don't think anyone will argue that the T/A is not the best performing tire in it's garbage category that only has like three options available (Uniroyal and Cooper being the others). It's the best tire for people who need a specific look and "..."

But if you forgot about looks it would get the crap kicked out of it by just about any H or V-rated All-Season where available in the same sizes. There are $65 tires that will probably beat it in every category. The T/A gets high ratings because the people who want to use them would never consider putting a Sumitomo HTR A/S or Yokohama Avid Touring-S on their car due to aesthetics.

The problem is the crowd that buys the T/A is basically held hostage by a lack of choices. But it's mediocre/average in every way. If you don't want to believe that, take the T/A to a track, do a few laps and then try again with, say, a modern but very average Falken Ziex ZE950 A/S and compare the times.
happystang and maladezo like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:00 PM

I use the Falken Ziex ZE950. Seem to hold up OK. The old BFG's I had on were terrible, low traction, rough riding. I only go for short cruzes and put on about 1500 miles /year. Fairly abusive and the rears will last about 3 years.

1970 mach1.393C stroker, FMX, 3.50 Tru Trak.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...ps49e6c20e.mp4
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM

That's about what I'd expect. The ZE950 is a decent tire, it's the evolution of what Falken did with the 912. Should handle similarly to the 912 in the dry (which was good) but have superior wet/weather traction and a much longer tread life. It's technology winning out over merely softening the compound for dry traction. It is still an all-season rather than a Summer tire. It's low-mid range in performance compared to other tires in larger diameters where UHP tires are available. BUT in 15" sizes it's really good compared to what else is available, and it's going rip apart the T/As.

If you do not want "the look" I'd highly recommend the ZE950, it is cheaper, better and longer lasting than the T/As.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Update on Accelera Alpha's, 225 60 15's. 4 months and 500 miles, seem to run nice with good grip. Good on freeway, not noisy, corner nice. Took a 200 mile trip with speeds up to 85. Hey, everyone was going that fast! Down about 1 mm on front and 2 mm on backs. (9 mm of tread when new). I have done a lot of hard take offs with squealing tires and hard 2nd gear squeals. I would guess these will not be a long life tire, but good grip. Just what I want anyway.http://s170.photobucket.com/user/Mal...tml?sort=3&o=0

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.

Last edited by maladezo; 07-20-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: pic
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Good to know. I know a lot of reviews I saw said they didn't last that long. But I am not sure why people expect a soft compound to last 60k miles. If you want that you're going to have need a 600+ tread rating, which is very hard.

1965 Mustang
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Update, about 800 miles on the Accelera Alpha's. I rarely drive in the rain. Got caught in a rain shower on a windy mountain road. These tires felt scary, I didn't push it. Wet road performance is questionable. 90 MPH on the freeway was fine on my recent trip of 240 miles. I still like em for dry road use.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 PM

How much do you want to spend? Look into Avons, they're great tires. Not cheap though

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page