Vintage Mustang Forums banner

need help selecting tires

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  apachechief1952 
#1 ·
Hello community, I have purchased 4 15x8 smoothie wheels from summit racing(steelies made my wheel vintiques) for my 1967 ford mustang coupe. The wheels are 15x8 with a 4inch bs. I plan to put tires that are 235/60 on all 4 corners and was wondering if I would have any issue running this setup? Other tire combos are welcome.

#6 ·
Depending on what your front suspension set up is (Arning/Shelby Drop and Springs choice assuming a more/less "stock" configuration?) you may find 215/60's a better fit for the front with those wheels you already purchased. Even if you are willing to roll the fenders to aid in clearance the 225/60 on that wheel is pushing the envelope. I say this based on untold hours of research on this, even that combination would be a crap shoot. I have concluded that when all is said and done it really comes down to each car being slightly different from the factory in a minor way, and due to age/circumstances in a major way.

#10 ·
I just bought a 65 coupe and it has P235/60 R14's on the rear and P215/60 R14's on the front. Will this setup give me any handling problems. This thing seems to wander at low speeds. I am so new to it I havent had it over 45 MPH. I was wondering about the steering box or suspension being worn but the seller just had it aligned and I have verified that the front end looks and feels good. I havent had an old car for many many years so I just might be a little nit picky. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.