Vintage Mustang Forums banner

4R70W stock shifter mod

18K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  68lightning 
#1 ·
Hey all! I have read some other threads regarding 4R70W swaps and didn't come across anyone using this particular linkage. I have a 66 FB inline 6 that I am converting to a V8. I have a 1985 ford 302 and a 4R70W automatic from a 2000 mustang V6 going into it within the next few weeks. I would like to keep the stock shifter if I can. I was looking at this AOD shift linkage from CJ Pony parts that allows the use of the stock shifter https://www.cjponyparts.com/aod-shift-linkage-for-use-with-early-model-shifters-1965-1973/p/ASL4/. Anyone use something like this for a 4R70W or a similar "conversion" linkage from another brand? If anyone has put in the 4R70W with the stock shifter, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

#4 ·
here's what I did. get a threaded rod, then a female rod end, and a clevis rod end. put it all together and trim the threaded rod to length. then you can fine tune adjustment by tightening the ends. you'll have to probably bend the rod to follow the flow of your floor pans a bit but it works like a charm.

#18 ·
I sort of did this. I grabbed a shifter from a 2000 Mustang v6 and took the T handle off my 66 and it bolts right on. So basically, the shifter and cable setup from the 2000, and the handle from the 66 for looks.

#10 ·
Some more ideas here:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-4r70w-shift-linkage--16146?highlight=shifter

There was a guy who was selling the parts needed to use the stock shifter. His first name is Joe. I think his last name is something like Persed? He was a member here as well as other Mustang forums. Maybe someone with a better memory can connect the dots.
that reminds me. so my shifter arm was an early model where it was held on by a nut I believe. that didn't hold on tight enough which caused my mlps to strip out the plastic tabs. I then picked up a later model arm. the shaft with the grooves in it for the MLPS is longer and the arm is retained by a bolt and washer at the end of the shaft. the 1st and 6th picture in the provided link shows exactly what im talking about.

as for Joe, that's where I got my kit from. I will say that I think he updated the retaining bar to hold onto the MLPS from what he originally had from what ive seen in some pictures. But the shift rod linkage doesn't work worth a hoot. honestly if I was to do it over again, I would remake what I did, make a cable system work, or get one of the shifters from Lokar.

#13 ·
This is not necessarily an elegant way to do it but this is how I modified my 66 shifter to shift my 4r70w.
When I pulled the trans from the Mustang at salvage I also took the complete shifter assembly.
The cable bracket from the 4r70w shifter was modified to fit the transmission tunnel at the correct distance from shifter pivot point.
The weld on the shifter arms of both shifter was ground off then the 4r70w shifter arm was welded onto the 66 shifter being care full to weld it at the same angle.
Doing it this way allowed me to keep the complete 4r70w cable system. The Trans is controlled with a US SHIFT controller with their wiring harness. The O.D. has a toggle if I want to turn it off.

#14 ·
If you want to use your stock shifter, contact Joe Persad at premiergenerator@gmail.com and tell him you need his adapter parts and he will send you what you need. I just completed a 4r70 swap in my 65' and will be doing a build thread soon. Keep in mind that making these components are not his full time job but rather something he does on the side so be flexible with wait time and he will take care of you.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Awesome tip guys, thanks. I also found a video on youtube where a guy used a smog pump bracket and added it to his stock shifter to make it work. I will reach out to Joe and see if he is able to offer any help. My baumann controller is coming next week. I post once pics of whatever worked.

#19 ·
Yup

#22 ·
@copracr

I normally post my photos on Google Images then use the "insert image" link when I create a post. I think you could do it as an attachment too. Or if all that fails, I can DM you my email address :)

I was looking at the stock shifter from a Fox Body last night and never noticed there was a bolt in there. I am wondering if I can take my handle and surround and attach it to the fox body hardware. That'll be an ideal situation.

-RD

#24 · (Edited)
or this?

The base is off a 2000 m/y and the handle and upper part of the base came from a mid 60's m/y. I had to trim the opening a little bit for the cable shifter bracket and the holes in the sheet metal were a little off.

Attachments

#26 ·
thread is a little old I know but when you get the 2000 4r shifter from the yard, it has a cable that goes up and connects beside the throttle cable . With tension on that cable. It will not allow you to get out of park. I am thinking it is somehow interlocked with the brake switch but do not see how. I guess I dont need it but would be nice to know how it works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.