Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Compare full front suspension packages for 67 vert
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
hsvtoolfool

I'm doing an I6 conversion for a cruiser convertble and a Coyote conversion for a sportier cost-less-of-an-object fastback. I both cases, I also want a one-stop-shopping package that includes everything for the front-end.

Here are ballpark price comparisons for the two options I'm favoring...

* Street or Track base package: $3K
- Add $2K for 12" rotors and 4-piston calipers
- Add either...
- $1.2K for manual rack and pinion kit OR...
- Add $1K for new steering box plus misc linkages and parts
Total: about $6K

* Detroit Speed AlumaFrame: $7K
- Add $2K for 14" rotors and 6-piston calipers
Total: about $9K

I plan to use EPAS regardless, so power steering options are not included in either approach. But that's another $1.5K added for power steering. Going hydraulic costs about the same. Gosh this is an expensive hobby. I must be crazy.

While the cost difference is about $3K, the DSE setup provides a significant amount of exotic, sexy parts for the money. First, it's a complete tested package that includes everything I need. How much money and time will I save shipping assorted steering parts? Second, I really like C6 Corvette spindles due to their strength, light weight, better geometry, and larger brake options. Third, I really like the modern SLA geometry and the resulting camber gain specs. Fourth, the front frame gets a lot of added stiffness due to the beefy cast aluminum cross member yet adds minimal weight. The chief downsides to the DSE kit are just not-relevant for me: 17" wheels minimum and more work installing. I plan to use 18" wheels and the Alumaframe install is nothing compared to the rest of the work I need to do.

On the other hand, $3K goes a long way towards final paint or whatever. Does anyone care that a sunny day cruiser convertible has 14" disks and C6 Corvette spindles? I don't think so. I like the simple, light design for the SOT package while avoiding the MacPherson Strut path. I just wish SOT offered an integrated, engineered, and tested package so there's no need to piece-meal brakes, steering, linkages, etc. But that's a complaint common to all aftermarket vendors. About 99% of their customers just need one part, not The Whole Megillah like me. Ah well, I'll deal with it.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome