Vintage Mustang Forums banner

A better Distributor

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
Ok so I've been told time and time again to get away from the points distributor and think I got a clear understanding as to why people are suggesting it but I'm turning to the experts to see what distributor you guys would recommend for a stock 4.7 289cid V8. I'm not looking for an immense amount of performance or anything crazy just better performance than the stock points. I've attached a photo of what I'm working with now.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hahaha yea I tell em I'm smarter than them all the time. But I think they got somewhat of a point switching over. I do plan on keeping the stock handy in the glove box while trying something a little updated on top

#3 ·
Stock distributor is better quality than a new replacement IMO. I had mine refurbished and it looks brand new with new bushing. I opted for a Petronix electronic ignition inside my distributor. But I also keep a spare in the glovebox just in case.
<style></style>

#4 ·
The usual drag on stock distributor performance is lack of professional adjustment since the 60's. I've done quite a few distributors, and absolutely not one of them was in spec when I got it. As little as 1° error in the middle of the curve can kill performance. Even with stock points, proper adjustment can make a huge difference. You'll need to have it done by a pro on a distributor machine.

#7 ·
I have read many posts about distributors and I always wonder why points. I have several MSD's and many friends with MSD's that are ancient but still working. I know nowadays lots of fakes are around sold by Chin Low Inc but MSD has always been a great performer. i currently have the digital MSD and developed my own timing curve as simple as putting dots on a graph. Played with several curves until I got the performance I wanted. Skip the vac advance/mechanical adjustments and springs ect, believe me I have had every kit possible. I understand if you want the correct look but minimum would be a pertronics pickup under cap. Ready for roasting now.

#8 ·
I've got a Pertronix under my cap, and it was flawless until 2 days ago. Now my car sits in the garage waiting on parts. I'm switching to HEI. (Now it's my turn for the flame suit.) At least now when things die, I can run to the local parts store for stuff. It's overkill, I'm sure. But now I don't have to think about it. (However, I may carry an extra igniter box thingy in the glove box.)

#9 ·
Stick with the points. If someone airbursts a nuclear weapon over the USA, then all those electronic ignitions are going to get fried in place, and you'll still be driving along with your points. :) Yes, a bit extreme in the example.

#10 ·
I have my original distributor, rebuilt, now has a Pertronix Ignitor II since February 1998 because the original Ignitor suddenly stopped working while I was 2 hours from home BUT I had my points plate with fresh points and condenser ready to drop in until the new Ignitor II came. 15 minutes to diagnose, swap, and on my way. I still have the same points plate in my glove box, just in case...

#11 · (Edited)
Don't waste your money on a MSD distributor, get a Duraspark...same thing for $80 at any parts store. Pick up a Duraspark module for $40 and you are in business. I've been running one for 31 years in my '69 Mach 1. My wifes 67 and my sons 65 are running Pertronics, both work great.

#14 ·
theyre aint nuttin better than a bone stock ford dizzy that has been set up properly

send it over to Dan at GN

FWIW i ran full blown MSD for 20 yrs. When I had my dizzy set up with new points installed car runs better than ever

and no mystery boxes and rats nest of wires to deal with

Reactions: kenash
#17 ·
I have a Duraspark in my car. I also have a spare box and coil in my garage since I saw another donor car on one of my junkyard visits.
That said, the stock ignition from when it was new is still a good system and properly adjusted they work well.

Reactions: 120mm
#24 ·
Oh so THAT'S why you unloaded that nasty old ignition box on some unsuspecting sucker. Now it comes out. :)

I have not seen points degradation in 1000-1500 miles myself. BUT I haven't really been looking. Having taken up looking into stuff more deeply with a ignition scope for fun and profit the last few years I will have to keep that in mind as something to pay attention to. With a scope you can pick out miniscule ignition issues that don't show up any other way. BUT you kind of want a baseline to compare with to get anything out of the process. So I'd have record a trace with new parts and then remember to do it again for a comparison run however many miles later and .....OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GOING TO GET ANYTHING DONE. Getting off here and going outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.