Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 Mustang GT Tribute, Want to trade!

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Grimbrand 
#1 ·
Have a very nicely restored 66 Mustang GT Coupe Tribute. Very strong, smooth running 289, Weber 4 barrell carb, long tube headers, dual exhaust. Smooth shifting C4 automatic. Dark metallic green with black interior. Aftermarket gauges and tach. Has power front disc brakes, Power steering with Borgenson power steering box, billet pulleys,New Magnum 500 wheels with new BF Goodrich tires 205 x 15's in front, 225 x 15's in rear. Has GT Fog lights, GT Striping and badges, GT gas cap. Has brand new gas tank and fuel sending unit. Everything electrical works as it should, Have a clean title and updated RI safety inspection sticker. Have a stack of restoration receipts.
Would like to trade for a 4 speed Mustang of equal value. Miss running through the gears. LOL I am located in Rhode Island.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree, it would be tough to give up a car that appears to need nothing other than a transmission conversion vs. something that will come with potential issues. No doubt it's not going to be cheap, especially if you have to farm it out. And often or not buying it used and eventually needing a rebuild will be more expensive and much more bothersome in the end. This company has an excellent reputation for their sales and service. Modern DriveLine

#10 ·
Just for our information, I just received a quote from Modern Driveline to change over to a manual T 5 tranny. Includes everything you need to make the swap. This is all NIB parts $4100
Free Shipping
I guess I will keep it an automatic unless I can do a swap. LOL

#12 ·
Yeah, They are all correct here on this one.. Keep the car, and just do the conversion. It's a really nice car too. I highly approve!

Just do the 4 or 5 speed conversion..

All the Automatic parts will pay for a nice chunk of it...Just trade or sell them off...

:eek:)

Tony K.

#14 ·
Beautiful car! I agree with the others, do the conversion if your wanting to shift it yourself. A quick search in your area on craigs and facebook classifieds shows all kind of parts to consider. Get a car buddy/friend and knock it out over a few weekends. As others have pointed out, there is more to it than just getting the transmission so do your research.

Pedals and linkages https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/chepachet-mustang-gt-4-speed-pedals-and/6839567894.html
Bellhousing https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/attleboro-ford-mustang-t5-bellhousing/6849136670.html
T-5 trans from wrecked 2002 GT $350 https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/foster-02-mustang-gt-parts/6847200251.html

There are better deals out there but just for an idea.. Good luck, Jim

#15 ·
Hi Jim,
You are good at this stuff. All those parts you show are about 10 miles from me. My problem is time. I'm retired but I'm raising another family LOL. Baby sit for my 20 mon. old grand daughter 5 days a week. Building an art studio for my other daughter on the weekends and she is due in June. I'm 72 and beat by the end of the week and then start all over again on Mon. LOL
Thanks for all your help.
Fred

#16 ·
As NEFaurora said, the parts you take out will be worth something. The auto trans being the big ticket item that would go against the $4,100.
Let's say that brings things down to $3,500 + whatever other leftover parts you have after the swap.

The cost and hassle of selling your car, cost of finding a new one, and the cost of getting it sorted out and like you want it will eat up most of that $3,500.

Unless you just want a different car anyway. But if I were you, liked my car, wanted to row through the gears bad enough to spend the money and time to sell / buy another, I think your money is best spent working with what you have.

#17 ·
That’s a really nice GT tribute coupe!

I have everything you need for a T5 conversion, but you’d have to swap me your ride for my 94 Cobra... :)

I kid... but even with not having the time to do the swap yourself - if it were me and my vehicle - I’d still consider getting all of the parts needed together. Then later, source out a very reputable VMF Member (or 2) on here who would be willing to help for a few bucks - or find a recommended reputable shop that can do it for a reasonable price.

#18 ·
Interesting option .

Buy a lovely 4 or 5 speed coupe, swap the bits then sell the other coupe. If you do it right you may have a net cost of zero.

peter

Reactions: 69RR
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.