Vintage Mustang Forums banner

what's it worth ?

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Lightning 
#1 ·
i have a 65 mustang with no title . about what would i ask if i were to sell it ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That all depends on what somebody is willing to pay and whether they want to part it out or invest in a major labor of love. Do you live in a state that would require a title ? How long has it been sitting like that? If it has been open to the elements, the cowl, floor pans, frame rails, maybe more will be shot. If that is the case, a few hundred bucks, unless it is a car with some pedigree, then maybe a couple thousand tops. There's a tremendous amount of work ahead of somebody there. If it was what I was looking for and close enough for the drive... get some more pictures of the data plate on the door and the numbers stamped on the fender apron driver side, and include your location in your profile. Good luck!

#3 ·
Here in NH we don't need a title after 25 years on any car. Just bill of sale.

That V8 car would be a labor of love for someone.
Is it just body, no drive train?
Telling us your location may help a bit as to how must rust repair there is. What options like power steering? Does it come with interior parts like seats?
A wild guess w/o more info, from my state, $800 - $1200.

#4 ·
Good gracious dude...check the vin to be sure it isn't a k code, then just let it go for 150-250 ish based on your photos and lack of a title. So far I see a v8 rear, a set of spindles, misc parts etc that if you drag home, strip down, carry to swap meets or craigs list etc ect might gross out at under a thousand, or a project build that rapidly turns into a 20,000 coup that is worth 12 when done. Curious what you thought it was worth?

#5 · (Edited)
I really hate "what it worth" post,but.
a location should be your fist step. Looks fairly straight and solid I see a track car project.while others may see a parts car, while someone else might see a full resto depending on the vin. I see some people wondering about interior and seats while for me that stuff wouldn't matter I see some people wonder about drive train,again for me wouldn't matter.
"What it's worth" depends on who wants it bad enough and for what reason

#6 ·
Mine looked similar, probably had more parts and less steel- sold it for $800 in about 2 weeks time. No title for mine either, but that didn't bother the guy who bought it for parts... I had several offers in the $250-$400 range, but I wasn't biting on them. I could have gotten more by parting it out, but didn't have time to mess with it right now.
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/...e/1148142-1965-mustang-v8-swap-parts-car.html

#7 ·
I dunno. My first question is: Is it yours? Is it on your property? Have you even asked at the State DMV what the process is to get a title, or file for a lost title?
Getting the title increases the value.

#24 ·
No but NYS does have a transferable registration which serves as proof of ownership . If a person were to register a car in NY that came from a state that has titles, you'll need that title to get the NYS transferable registration issued.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought one in worse shape than that body wise for $600. It had a good engine in it but I was after the complete power steering components to transplant into my non PS coupe, steering box, PS pump and bracket, crank pulley, bench seat (which I'm going to sell this summer). After I got what I wanted out I turned around and sold it on eBay for $400 to a guy who said he was planning on building a race car. I think he was after the clear title and front end clip with matching serial numbers.

#12 ·
Alabama is a non-title state for cars this old. A buyer from Alabama or Georgia only needs a bill of sale. At least that's how it was when I lived in Georgia 8yrs ago. For out of state buyers in title states like Tennessee you need to register the car. The way they explained it to me was "It looks like you bought it from a guy who isn't the owner."

#17 ·
Yep. Alabama and Georgia are like many other states when it comes to cars this age. I live in Alabama, just bought a car in Georgia that hasn't been tagged in several years, BUT I have a ton of documentation to back it up. Got the original South Carolina title and a ton of receipts and records.

#13 ·
A few body pictures, no location, no drive train description: 400 bucks, the going rate for any car at a scrap metal yard. 5-lug spindle/hub is worth about $50/ea. Or just put the dang thing on eBay, as-is, no reserve, no title, pick-up only. Willing seller/willing buyer.

Please send a check in the amount of $80 for the appraisal fee to Wounded Warriors or American Humane Society.

Thanks.

#20 ·
"New York for example doesn't even issue a tittle for cars '72 and older."

True, But What NY does do for '72 and older is that the Current, or Older registration serves as the title of the car since its "Transferable".

In NY, If you don't have an Original or a copy of a previous or old Registration to the car, You're screwed and have to apply for a Salvage Title.

:eek:)

Tony K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.