Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Starter motor weirdness
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
19Fastback65

Starter motor weirdness

Brief description of the issue:

1. 65 Mustang that I drive weekly made a grinding noise when I tried to start it first time (for the week).
2. Second attempt to start it was successful and there was no grinding noise. Drove it to the store and turned it off. Nothing abnormal during driving.
3. Started it up to come home with no issue or grinding.
4. Park it in the garage and shut it off. Attempt to start it again and this time the starter spins but the motor doesn't.
5. Ordered new PA Performance PMGR starter and installed it according to instructions with extra wire and moving original wire to the positive side of the solenoid. New starter does the exact same thing - spins but doesn't engage.
6. Ordered new starter solenoid (fender wall) and installed it. Same exact results.

I've tested voltage on my battery and it is 12.5 Volts at rest. No changes to the vehicle recently. The starter and solenoid I replaced had been working for 10 years with no issues.

EDIT: checked flywheel teeth and they looked decent. Have rotated engine with a wrench in case teeth were bad in one area.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

--------

1965 Fastback owned since 1986 - original 289 block & heads - bored .030 over - ported & polished heads - triple angle valve job - performer RPM intake and cam - 10:1 compression - forged pistons - 600cfm holley 4150 - ford full length headers - 4 speed toploader - original 8 inch rear with 3.73 LSD - wilwood front disc brake conversion - upgraded suspension lowered 1 inch - welded sub-frame connectors - 3 row radiator - monte carlo bar - export brace - complete MSD ignition

Last edited by 19Fastback65; 05-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome