Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Found oil in the exhaust pipe

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gregb 
#1 ·
Well, I was getting ready to take my daughter for her first ride in the car since I started to freshen it up and get it rolling for the first time in about 6 years and I noticed oil in the newly installed exhaust pipe on the drivers side. First thought, DAMNIT! I felt the exhaust coming out drivers side pipe compared to passengers side and it was way cooler.

I dug into the plugs and cylinders 6 and 7 were oily and wet after roughly 60 miles of driving since I installed them. I ran down and got new ones and put them in and made sure to have the wires hooked up to them so it wasn’t me that caused the fouled plugs.

I’m going to pull the trans and have it rebuilt this fall and now it looks like to motor needs to go in too. I will switch to something like 40 weight oil and limp it through the summer. I will also do a compression test to see if it could be coming from the heads but I am doubtful at this point. Any suggestions for you guys?

#3 ·
Bleeding enough oil that it’s showing up in a new exhaust sounds like a rather significant failure. I’d suggest you’re a bit of exploring to determine what the issue might be before you use a bandaid like a higher viscosity oil.

#4 ·
I agree that it is likely a pretty major issue. It must either be bad rings or a valve guide and I will try to bandaid it with a different higher viscosity oil so it at least makes it through the summer. I had plans of having the T10 rebuilt this winter so I guess I’m pulling the engine at that time as well.

I wonder if a compression check would be a good way to diagnose bad rings, and if they come back ok for those cylinders then just replacing heads a few months earlier would be the way to go. Thoughts?

#5 · (Edited)
GT350, it doesn’t look burnt in the exhaust at all which has me perplexed. The plugs were black and damp looking but they was no oil wiping off of them. It doesn’t appear to be burning oil either. It doesn’t smoke while idling or at start up or when you rev it hard in the garage at all.

I assumed at first that the engine had fouled those two plugs because I didn’t get the plug wires on all the way. Now I am wondering. I will drive it a couple more times and pull plugs to figure it out after that. I will go through all of them to make sure those are the only two and if the problem stays with those two cylinders then I know there is a larger problem. If it clears up on one or both then I will start trouble shooting the one cylinder that is the culprit.

#8 ·
So what do you guys think. It compression test comes back OK then new gaskets at the top end and/or new heads? I was going to have new heads and intake put on it this winter but maybe do it earlier so there is no reason to talk about reusing these old heads. I would reuse the stock intake maybe. Good reason to buy the upgraded parts now.

#9 ·
This is a quick wipe inside the drivers side pipe after about 35 miles. And the sooty one is the passengers side. Two pipes, not connected all the way out of the car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.