Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Brake master cylinder compatibility
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 AM
Treozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by malstrom View Post
Hi Friends

So I think I have the theory in my head correct. If I buy the enclosed link master cylinder. I would not be able to hook it up with a 4 drum brake vehicle without adding a 2 inch long inline residual valve and perhaps the valve in the master.

Which means if I want to convert to a front disc upgrade kit at some future point I need to modify brake lines again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-B-M-1964-...M/222793539422

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-5-1973...item25dd15c1d6

Ideas ?

Thanks !

Residual pressure valves are recommended, but the number of drum to disk conversions that omit them, without even realizing, is somewhat staggering. You would want a residual pressure valve and you'd probably want one inline to both front and rear circuits if using a non-drum master (this one appears to be disk / drum - so make sure there is no residual valve in the rear circuit already from the master cylinder). All drum / drum systems I'm aware of used residual valves @ 10PSI +/- to both circuits, but I'm not a "Mustang expert" so, take that for what its worth. You would NOT want to retain the combination valve however (looks like a standard Pv2 unit) - It would direct and delay pressures inappropriately for a drum / drum system - that being the case, you'll need to re-plumb your brake lines anyway if you move to disks later.

A note on residual pressure valves - those suckers leak. I mean, perhaps not all of them, but I've found them to be yet another weak link. You might look into an appropriate thread sealant - its the only way I've got them to hold, you shouldn't have to technically, but such as it is.

Allan.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome