Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 V8 5 Lug Donor Shell

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  image98 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes.

I have a 66 200 that I want to convert to 5 lug steering and suspension.

I found a roller in my localish craigslist that is sans engine, trannie, fenders and hood. Needs floors, etc,...

It was a C code with a 3 speed.

The car rolls and steers. It has four wheel manual drums, manual steering and an eight inch rear end.

Seller wants a $1000 for the whole thing, or will part out the steering gear, front spindles and brakes, 8 inch rear and 5 lug wheels that are on it for $850.

I’m pretty new to this so I’m not really sure if this is a good deal or not for the parts. I simply can’t take the whole car due to space issues. The $850 includes the sellers work to remove the parts. I’m thinking there’s also a bit tacked on in an effort to get me to buy the whole thing.

I’m thinking that the price just for the parts I want should be between 400 and 600.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Harlon

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on the market and rust. For $1000 I just got a 289 2V auto not running that was actually a VERY complete car but it was mostly disassembled. Lucky me, I could see where all the rust is, the original deluxe seat upholstery has no tips, dash has one tiny crack, it came with new long pans and I will only need one short pan and a couple small patches, except for the rotting cowl. It will hafta have a total restoration but it's a project for my little son and me. I believe I got a great deal, and the axle, engine, trans, and the new front suspension parts it already has would bring more than that. You could buy the car, use the parts you want and probably still sell the shell to someone that wants to a full custom job.

#3 ·
I bought a 5 lug conversion for my T code for $200...included the rear end, spindles...and even 4 wheel spacers...no brakes or steering gear(which are irrelevant for what I want anyway) $850 seems high to me. You can get a new set of 5 lug spindles for $300...you can get an explorer 8.8 rear end(which is a lot more work to fit to a classic mustang but has better ratios, rear discs and trac-loc) for $300...see where I am going?

#4 ·
You will more than likely need to replace more than 90% of the donor front end parts, so you would be saving yourself some money to simply buy the suspension parts you need from NPD or CJPP.

Reactions: hsvtoolfool
#5 ·
The rear end will need brakes, fluid and maybe bearings.

You didnt say if your car is a AT or manual. You will need a driveshaft as well.

You will need everything on the front.

I would get a price for the rear end and spindles, then start from there with everything else new. If you want to stay with drums on the front, get the backing plates.

#6 ·
Buy new, save yourself the trouble.
Save yourself the time cleaning it all up to just have used painted parts.

Used parts are just that... used.
And mechanical rotating assembly parts, seems like the thing to do.
I try to take my own opinion.
I’ve got a set of big body spindles and caliper sitting on the floor I bought, but will probably never use. If they were not so heavy to ship, I’d make you a heck of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Not a bad deal, just not any bargain. The going rate at a typical junk yard for spindles, rear end and wheels is $850. Around here we have a guy with a classic mustang junk yard where I can get my rear end and wheels but I don't think the parts are that easy to find in most locations. What everyone is saying is that all the other parts are high wear parts like tie rod ends, ball joints etc. It's highly unlikely those are any good. The steering box is the same so you don't need that.

#10 · (Edited)
Not really. It depends on if you mean a pull-a-part or a salvage yard or a mustang specific boneyard. But I see v8 spindles all the time on craigslist from $75-$200(max $200...which is no surprise with new ones to be had at $300) The last 8" rear end I saw for more than $300 had a fully chromed housing. Wheels of course can run any amount...I picked up the set I am using for $100 for the set...but those are 05 v6 wheels...original vintage mustang wheels usually run about $50 a piece. I find Craigslist to be a fairly accurate indicator of value...ask too much and whatever it is never sells, ask too little and it sells so fast the ad doesnt stay up long enough. Salvage yard and pull-a-part prices are often cheaper than craigslist(depending on the item) while mustang specific boneyards tend to be far more expensive.

In any case, the point is the OP can pull of the swap for far less than $850 assuming high wear parts are junk(and they most likely are)

A plain Jane 8" rear end with common gears for a 65 66 is $300 or so. Spindles for a V8 65 66 go from $175 to $450, depending on condition. V8 steering from pitman to tie rod will be $60 or so. Wheels are $25 each or more.

There are little parts on a V8 that you will need also, that may or may not be there.

Depending on if there was anything else, I would probably be a buyer for a $800 roller C code. (negotiations can always be done)

Find someone who might take the hull for free. Take it there, strip EVERYTHING you need, and leave the rest.
However MastangerBob is right...a roller at $800 or even $1000 is a good deal...take what you need, throw the non-rolling shell on Craigslist for $600-$800 and it will likely sell fast enough....if you dont have the space, find a friend that does and is willing to let you flip the thing over the course of a couple weeks

#9 ·
A plain Jane 8" rear end with common gears for a 65 66 is $300 or so. Spindles for a V8 65 66 go from $175 to $450, depending on condition. V8 steering from pitman to tie rod will be $60 or so. Wheels are $25 each or more.

There are little parts on a V8 that you will need also, that may or may not be there.

Depending on if there was anything else, I would probably be a buyer for a $800 roller C code. (negotiations can always be done)

Find someone who might take the hull for free. Take it there, strip EVERYTHING you need, and leave the rest.

#11 ·
Depends on just WHAT comes along with it... is it a stripped shell or does it come with any glass, interior, fuel tank and filler neck, engine frame mounts, wiper motor and transmissions, wiring harnesses, mouldings, doors & guts, vent window frames, etc...?

#12 ·
I understand the no room thing. If you have the cash, and you get the wheels, offer him 800 and let him do all the work and sell the carcass... Evaluate and replace worn parts before you install them, and I think you're doing ok on the money. On the other hand, 1000 for a relatively complete roller with a title is really good for my area. No classic Mustang places anywhere near here, so it would be nice if you had the room. Good luck, and keep us posted!

#13 ·
Some of you people really have it good.
Nothing near those prices here in the Phoenix area.
Everybody here seems to think anything Mustang is gold.
Russ

#15 ·
I lost track of this thread back around post #7.

I ended up having to pass on the parts. He ended up agreeing to take $600 for the parts I wanted if I’d pull an assist on the removal. I figured that was $500 for the parts and $100 for the use of his torch, sawzall, and air tools and his expertise/work/time. In the end I thought that was fair.
Anyway, no sooner did we agree in principle to a deal then my wife texted me that the POS at her retail store crashed and needed to be replaced. Instant evaporation of free time and fun budget.

I’ve got a loose plan as to what I want to do to the 66. What I want it to look like when I’m done. Just going to keep putting spare change in the Pony Bank and working toward the end goal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.