Vintage Mustang Forums banner

constant 12v for radio/cd player

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Crank_It_Up 
#1 ·
I installed an old 1997 sony 10 disc player I found. Still works. Anyway I need to find a constant 12v lead. Under the dash I found what I thought was a lead. Turns out it was for a courtesy light so when I close the door the power is turned off I guess by the door. Anyway I found a red 3 inlet plug right by the ignition. Anyone know what this is for? Rally pack maybe. I can test it but thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows the original purpose for that.

Thanks

#3 ·
Its better to have ignition on than constant hot if you ask me...being able to have the radio be on while the key is not in the ignition is just asking for a drained battery when you inevitably turn the volume down and forget about it. Relays specifically for your accessories are your friend.

#4 ·
I agree.. I'd have it on a "Switched" IGN ON Source as well....and not a "LIVE" "Constant"one.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#14 ·
Many have two power wires. Red goes to ignition switch, yellow goes to constant power. Yellow is often a larger wire making me think the red really controls an internal relay that will turn on all functions but memory from power that enters through the yellow.

#10 ·
The only true constant 12-volt wire in a Mustang is the big wire running to the ignition switch. You just need to run a 16 gauge wire with 2 amp fuse to the battery or solenoid terminal. The constant battery wire on a car radio simply uses a few milliamps to keep the presets and clock functioning.

#18 ·
Wait, so the cigar lighter in the mustang is a constant 12v source? even with the ignition on off it will still get 12v?
yeah mine is constant on, but I didn't know if that was factory or previous owner's doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.