Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Has anyone ever swapped out a 70 front clip to a 69?

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Feex 
#1 ·
I know dimensionality they will fit, but I'm wanting to know if and how much modifications need to be done? I have no problems with minor mods, but I don't want to "butcher" the front of a vintage stang just to get what I want. I'm especially concerned with the headlight buckets..or "fender extensions" if they are a bolt on to a 1970 fender? I've ordered all the parts I thought I'd need from CJpony parts, (over 1k) My jeep is on the lift and will be for some time, I was reading a post on here tonight that was about CJpony and there customer satisfaction, stated their return policy is 60 days, I know this swap can be done.. or has, but I'd really like to know if anyone here has done it and what to expect

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yep your right it can be done. My 69 Mach1 had 70 fenders. It looks factory to me. In fact I had to buy the car fast for the price and I overlooked the fact that the fenders were swapped. I sold the car to my brother a couple of years ago. In fact he got the side lights to work. I didn't put them on so I don't how hard it would be to change.

Dean

#4 ·
Years ago I'd considered changing my 69 front end to mimic the 70, cuz I thought it looked really cool, but, 69 was the ONLY year with 4 headlights, so I'm good... and I'm not referring to the Shelbys like the one Nick Cage drove in the "remake", so give me some slack... 65-68: two headlights, 70-73: two headlights... 69: 4 headlights.
Be unique. Be 69.

#10 ·
As much as I like the 1970 Mustang Mach 1's and Sportsroofs.....My favorite being the '70 Mach 1 "Twister" cars...

It had nothing on the look of the '69 Mach 1 and Sportsroofs which was far better looking IMHO...

With all that being said, I wouldn't mind a '70 Mach 1 "Twister" car or clone of one someday...

:eek:)

Tony K.

#11 ·
Couple of things, the grey mustang may just have had the side scoops removed and filled with a panel while the rest is stock '69, some people have done that for the Boss look.

A 69 Boss 302 is not a 70 with the front end of the 69, the rear tail light panels are completely different and obvious to any Mustang fan. 69's panel is concave and tail lights protrude, 70's panel is flat and tail lights are sunken into the panel. Clones, well you'll know it by looking at the tail lights, unless they changed those too, a bunch of work for very little gain.

I think you'll need to change the radiator support too, I think the bolt holes are in different spots for the front extensions between 69 and 70, but I can't tell you for sure.

One last thing, the value of your car will not be the same afterwards, you won't get the same amount you would for a '69 or a '70, something to consider. I'd go find a '69 instead of bastardizing a good looking '70. It's your car and it'll look better with quad headlights, but everyone will know it's not a '69 the second they look at the tail lights, or the VIN. Instead of doing this, you might want to find a '69 and make that car your project using the funds from this car.

I, personally, wouldn't do this to the car in the pic. Just a bunch of work for a gain in looks and a loss in value. I'd go find a '69 and build it.

#13 ·
The headlight shell on the fender, the radiator support, and front fender aprons are different 69-70 to account for the location of the headlights.

It can be done, but it's not a bolt-on swap.

I've never thought of the 70 Mustang as being non-aggressive.

#16 ·
Thanks for your opinions, I value that.. that's why I asked the question, The last thing I want to do is de-value the car, I'm now thinking ship the parts back, I'll be out a few bucks for shipping but what the hell. I'll keep my gal original as I can because I like OEM. $$ can be spent on wiser upgrades.
Guess I need to move the car to another bay in the garage, its parked in front of my drinking table:)

I'm wanting to build a rat rod soon, just haven't found the right donor yet, I'll try to get this bastardizing out of my system on it:)

Attachments

#17 ·
OMG

Is nothing ever good enough? I just bought a 70 to restore. Did not even know what the 69 looked like. Now I do. And now I see that they are a bit different. But that difference is that one was built a year earlier!

Clone cars have terrible resale value. Any part cloned is faked and not appreciated by most.

Fake it if you must. But we all know who will know and have to live with this. NOT US!

This was meant to be funny. Not crazy. Do I sound crazy? Wait until you see my :pirate: Moves.

#19 ·
Glad you made the decision (or at least consideration) to keep it original. Not worth the time and effort and you would now have cheap aftermarket parts on it rather than original panels (assuming your '70 is still original panels). My solution was going to be, if you like a '69, sell the '70 and just buy a real '69!!

Carry on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.