Vintage Mustang Forums banner

new leaf springs for 68 fastback GT

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  rumble 
#1 ·
I've been looking at NPD online to order new leaf springs and associated hardware. Damn the parts and shipping are expensive!! I bet installation is no treat either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#10 ·
Yeah, usps is very good to deal with. any larger logistics companies like ups, fedex and purolator charge a 50$ processing fee for over the boarder shipment. I got a charge of 70$ once for 2 x 9$ brackets...

I ship everything free from CJ to a friend in the states, then when i go down there i pick it up. If Opentracker deal usps, you should be in good shape.

#11 ·
thanks for all your help, guys. Based on several referrals, I went with Opentracker 4.5 leaf standard height springs plus the hardware. They shipped from Carmel, CA to SCC Parcel Pickup in Port Huron, MI. I drove over, paid $5 X boxes, and brought them back to Canada without any fees.

Looking forward to putting them on my car soon.

VMF is awesome, thanks again guys!

#13 ·
Free shipping to Canada from CJ?

BTW, you are going to have a hell of a time with the sawzall. I bought 10" metal blades and cut them with metal shears to utilize the teeth that never touches the bolt. I still went through 15 milwakee blades... doing it this way you can get 2 or 3 uses per blade!

#15 ·
I tried to plasma them out, not a good idea. they heat up real fast and if you have carpet, you are guaranteed a fire. I stopped that route very quickly.

The other options is cut off wheel or sawzall. I ended up breaking a couple of wheels, you need 6" at least to reach the eye bolt. So went sawzall. I went through about 15 blades. but like i said, you can use tin snips and reuse areas of the blade that dont touch the bolt while cutting about 3/4" of the blade is ever in contact with the bolt. You also have to cut both sides... its rusted right in the spacer inside the rubber...

#16 ·
I know this is an old thread, but my grabatracks from Opentracker are in and the car drives great! (new shocks too) Can't believe I waited so long. Can't wait to get Opentracker's roller spring perches and some new shocks up front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.