Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Cost of a paint job
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Kelly_H

$10k can be reasonable if you're using a metallic paint and if the paint shop is having to completely disassemble and reassemble your car. Labor costs really add up.

However, if you send the car to them already stripped of trim and other components that get in the way of a paint job, then that usually should save you quite a bit. Even better if you strip the old paint off of the car as well! You can save a lot of cash with some legwork on your end.

Without seeing the car it's hard to know what work it needs, but since prices are higher in the PNW, I would think that $5000-7000 is probably more ballpark for a driver job where you do some of the disassembly yourself.

Paint is definitely not $1100 per gallon though!! Even my highly pearlescent PPG paint was only $865/gallon.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome