Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - The Great EFI Debate
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 AM
Kelly_H

Thing is, a carb is really reliable when it's properly tuned and you do even a little tiny bit of maintenance to keep it going (you know, things like making sure the floats are good and the filter's clean).

The thing that a lot of people don't consider about fuel injection systems is that "the cost is not the cost". That is, the price of the throttle body itself does not usually include the price of all the lines, the fittings, the filters, the pump (most end up modifying their gas tank and putting in an in-tank pump to keep it quiet and happy), the extra vent for the gas tank, etc. A lot of ticky tack little stuff adds up and can get you in a thousand bucks deeper if you're not watching it.

In the end, there are 3 things that throttle body fuel injection systems do better than a well-tuned carb:
1) Start more quickly (not any more reliably, just more quickly)
2) Adjust to a number of driving conditions, most notably altitude, without you having to mess with it
3) Overcome heat soak

I have fuel injection on my car because I desired all 3 of these things. The first was less important to me than the other two since my Holley carb always started the car just fine with one pump of the gas pedal or so. The second item is important to me because I take my car all over the country and I don't want to screw around tuning the fuel system for performance between 14,000 feet and sea level. And the third is important because my car is a daily driver in Texas, and it gets hot as hell, and I get real mad if my car's heat soaked when I get back from grabbing food because the fuel's been boiling in the engine bay to the tune of 115*F ambient temps.

The EFI train can be a real PITA sometimes. It's expensive initially, and it can be annoying trying to sort out things like gas tank venting (which is something I'm still not happy/satisfied with, 4 years after the initial install). It is truly awesome though when you just need convenience and reliability. So whether you should go EFI or stay with the carb should probably be based on what you need from your car. For a car that's already proven reliable with a carb that's not a daily driver, I'd say that you have no reason to make the swap unless you really just want the convenience of a quick start every time.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome