Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Retiring to start my own business

9K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  TOS 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to this site (not new to mustangs). My name is Terry and have been a long time member of other Mustang and Ford forums. I am a retired Air Force Jet Engine Tech and am currently in the machining business. I am getting ready to retire from this current job and start my own machining business. I will be making aftermarket parts and have started with reusable drilling jigs/templates to perform the popular Shelby modification to relocate the upper control arms for better handling If you are anal like me and like things to be "dead on" and not "close enough". No paper template and pilot drilling just bolt on and drill. CNC machined to exact specs.

I am also in the process of designing a billet cowl vent cover that will open up to let air in but rain out.
Shifter handles, Brake conversion brackets, Radio delete plates (aluminum with engraving).

I'm just starting so these items are still in the design phase however the Shelby Drop Drilling jigs are done and ready to go.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry for the late reply, For some reason I'm not getting e-mail notifications when someone replys to my thread.
But yes I do one offs. Sometimes I have to model it up and program it which takes time, It just depends on what it is and
how complicated the design is. Got something in mind?

#11 ·
That is officially the nicest Arning drop template on the planet! I think I'm safe in declaring that myself. Very fair price for it too.
Thanks. I designed them to be more of a reusable jig but hopefully cheap enough for a one time use. I think the price is worth knowing that the holes are correct. I've seen people use a paper template and get their holes off a little and end up welding or hogging the hole out a little to get the UPCAs to fit.

#10 · (Edited)
...My Global West UCA's are already dropped so I'm good. Don't need a shifter. Always wanted something flat and CNC'ed to mount gauges to, not plastic. Something that does away with the stock plastic bezels?

I also need serpentine accessory drive mounts. Would those be hard to make? Really like the March Performance Ultra 2 setup where it lets you run the a/c compressor low and on the passenger side. Gets that butt ugly thing and it's hoses where it belongs: outta sight! Don't need the March bling or prices though. Would like stock pulley sizes, no under driving. Here's my perfect world: find someone that could take the Ford Racing short V-belt water pump and press a reverse rotation impeller onto the shaft - then have a pump pulley and accessory mounts to match. Short, and bolts to an old timing cover with the mechanical fuel pump for us carbureted guys. There's nothing out there like it and the combo could still be less than alternatives, I think...?

#17 ·
Hey @TOS,

Still selling theses? Got a pic of the jig for a 66?

I retired in 2017 after 26 in AF.
I do miss it some days, but I'm still around amazing men and women in uniform, so it's great.
-Drew

#20 ·
"If you're doing shifter handles, I recommend making a T-Lock shifter one. Someone use to sell them on here but hasn't in a long time. I know me and a few other people have been hoping to buy one if we were given the chance. Just a thought if you were thinking of things to build and offer."

I think that he means one of these..

Attachments

#22 ·
Definitely yes on the T-lock.
I have resorted to doing my build with a removable steering wheel, I would much prefer this.

#26 ·
I have recently started redesigning the cowl cover. I had to put all these mustang projects on hold because a NDI company contracted me to build machines for them so I've been busy for the past year doin that. I'm their sole fabricator and they pay me a stupid amount of money. So I work on them in between orders.
As for the t-locks i ran into alot of red tape over those so that project is probly dead.

#30 ·
Sorry for the slow responses but I've been swamped with work lately. Legal red tape mostly. I was able to build one using a scott drake handle but unless i start manufacturing my own handles then its not really worth it for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.