Chasers 66 Restomod 408 Coupe - Page 12 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 88Likes

post #166 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Sounds good you definitely don't want to run it without the prag oil and a charge in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The compressor came pre-oiled. I'm going to see about renting the AC stuff from Autozone. I've been reading a lot of forums on how to do it and it looks well within my capabilities. So i'm going to run an evacuation this afternoon and let it sit to verify there arent any leaks. Provided that works out, going to charge it...because the temp over the next couple days is 97 degrees with 80% humidity...
Grabber70Mach likes this.
post #168 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One step forward, two steps back...

I picked up the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone this evening. After reading the instructions, I got everything set up and ran a vacuum for 1 hour. It had a solid 35psi on the low side and 20 on the high side which all seemed good. Then I turned the pump off and watched the vacuum slowly leach away...thus, I have a leak. Along with that, I can hear a hiss coming from the evaporator / condensor assembly on the front of the car. I've tried tightening the trinary switch and changing the o-ring but alas...there's still a leak.

So tomorrow I'm going to disassemble / re-assemble the front lines and verify that everything is tight. If that doesnt work then I'll go on the hunt for a leak tester. It's something simple I'm sure of it...

post #169 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wellp...ran some dye through the system this morning. Even without the compressor pump spinning (i dont know how to override a trinary...yet) I found a pretty sizeable leak in the condensor(i think thats what it's called...big radiator thing)...at least I'm pretty sure that's where it is. I found the green die in between it and the canister. I then took a small sliver of paper towel to see which way the pressure was blowing and it seemed to blow outward from the evaporator. Price you pay when you're trying to make stuff fit in ways it wasnt designed I suppose.
Bright side...i dont see any leaks in the hoses i made...then again the compressor wasnt running so...

Kind of bummed but it is what it is.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

Last edited by chaser012001; 07-18-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #170 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Hang in there, at least your slowly seeing progress.
post #171 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Appreciate it. I was really hoping i'd have it sorted today since its roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun out there.

I also discovered when one of the serpentine belts disintegrated, it took out a clutch wire on the compressor.
post #172 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So...massive props to Vintage Air. I heard the doorbell ring at a little past noon today and, low and behold, there sits the condenser!
A few hours later the condenser and canister are swapped, system evacuated (1 hour per vintage air instructions...they actually say 45 minutes), leak tested (no leaks!), and charged!

I just got back from the grocery store. While it's a heat index of about 110 outside, the inside of the cabin was a much nicer temp! The car didnt get much hotter than usual either which was great! Granted, i was babying it some.

Next up, go through a sealing exercise to make sure the cabin is sealed. I noticed a faint exhaust smell after awhile.
Huntingky likes this.
post #173 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It was a nice day so I rolled the monster out for some photos. Plus i needed them to get into a show Sunday. Anyway, figured I'd share. Nevermind the missing trim piece in the front...no idea how i lost that...

RTM, ripped, Grabber70Mach and 4 others like this.
post #174 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The battle with the exhaust smell continues. I sealed any and all seams and holes. I also replaced the header gaskets using a set of FelPro 1487's that I had since I could sort of hear it and there was some soot on a couple spark plugs. The smell went away for a little bit and then came right back. It looks like the gaskets gave away again which is SUPER irritating given how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to deal with in such a tight space. Either way, I've gotten the whole effort down to about a 2 hour job. I think this weekend I'm going to put in a set of Remflex 3028. I'm debating adding some sealant as well but that doesnt really sit well with me. I think i'll try a set dry and if I continue to have problems I'll just do it again with some sealant.

Also in my quest to never leave well enough alone, I swapped the plugs out and gapped them to .50. Now I seem to have a low idle miss so I think I got a little ambitious with the gapping. During the header gasket swap, i'm going to set them back to .45 and see if that helps. I'm not ruling out the wires as well since I also monkey'd with those a bit to change the routing a tad. They were too close to the headers for my liking.

Outside of those two little things, the car is running great. I adjusted the pinion a little to eliminate some vibration (30 minute job with the 3link). This thing cruises SO good.
post #175 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM

On my Cobra replica, I was having a problem with exhaust gaskets...the header ports are quite a bit larger than the exhaust ports, so the gasket would give way. I used some high temp copper RTV instead of gaskets and haven't had a problem since. It can be messy, but just put a couple of studs in so you can put the header on straight and not goober up the RTV, then bolt them on. Wait overnight till you start up the car.

If that blows through, then you might have a problem where the surfaces aren't flat enough.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #176 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I decided to try a set of Percy's first and will consider the stud and RTV if those fail. Space is REALLY tight so i'm not sure header studs will be in the cards but I'm happy to give it a try. I'm pretty sure the gaskets are being a major contributor to the smell.
post #177 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I havent started on the header gaskets yet because i started to feel a miss in the engine. It's been really annoying because it was somewhat intermittent but then it turned into a full blow miss. It actually kind of felt like 2 cylinders but checking header temp, nothing was really jumping out as to which one(s) were dropping. Then again...its an uber cheap Harbor Freight infrared temp thing so it's probably unreliable at best.

Anyway, to try and rid it of these demons, I re-gapped all the plugs to .040 vs the .050 that it was. Miss was still present. I then swapped all the wires to known working ones...still a miss. I reset the computer since I did some tuning...still a miss. That left me to the plugs again. I've replaced them all (Autolite 3924) and gapped to .040. I wish i still had the first set of plugs because they were still jamming away when I replaced them. I did it as a "while I'm at it". I had those gapped to .035 and everything was honky dory.

I'm hoping to take it out in awhile to see if that remedied the problem. I want all my horses back!
I suspect that my tune being a bit on the leaner side, coupled with an ambitious gap, and driving the living sh*t out of it might have torched the plugs. That or MSD is living up to it's acronym (May Suddenly Die).
If this solves the problem, I think I'm going to make an appointment to have a local Holley tuner dial it in proper.
post #178 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Last weekend, there were some shows near my hometown. Shortly before my dad passed, we managed to get the convertible up to the show in Hamilton, IL and then proceeded to drive around the countryside. When we were there, we kept talking about how cool it would be if we drove both our cars up there when I finished building mine. That was the only show we were able to make it to before he passed.

I was determined to make it to that show so I drove my car the 180 miles one way, through the rain, up there Friday. My nephew (Jeffrey) and I drove it to the show in Warsaw, IL that night and had a great time. It was his first car show and, after hanging out with me and the monster, is wanting to build his own car as well...unfortunately it's a late 70's C3 corvette but at least it's something...

Saturday morning I set out waking the convertible up. She was a little snotty but a battery, timing, carb adjustment, and a bottle of ATF later she was humming along!! I drove the convertible to the show since Jeffrey wanted to drive my car. We switched for the drive back. It's amazing how much different these two things drive. The convertible suspension is darn near bone stock...not even an arning drop. The handling is abysmal but I supposed that's how they drove back in the day.

I think my dad would have been really proud to have seen this. To make it even better, Jeffrey (nephew) is wanting to take the convertible to more shows. Since i'm not in the area, I told him to ask me first but I wouldnt have a problem with it. The car needs to be driven and loved.

PICTURES
Right after pulling it out of the barn...

Jeffrey was driving my car...

Playtime the night before :-D
post #179 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Cool, thanks for sharing your adventures. Sounds like you have the nephew hooked. Tell him he needs a mullet though because it's mandatory for (chebby) Chevy owner's.
Huntingky and 68Hildago like this.
post #180 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think he was getting a little annoyed at my calling the vette a "Hillbilly Batmobile".
I like the mullet comment. I'm going to pass that one along lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page