67 Fastback GT 390 Full Restoration - Build Thread - Vintage Mustang Forums
 64Likes

post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

67 Fastback GT 390 Full Restoration - Build Thread

Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a thread showing the project I'm undertaking. What kind of build is this? It's a full on strip and restore with a little "new" going back in. What are the car details?
It's a 1967 Fastback GT 390 4-speed that's just about fully loaded and originally exported to the Philippines (93 DSO) with an MSRP of $4753. Options you ask?

• Fastback
  • GT
  • 390 4V
  • 4 Speed
  • Wimbledon White
  • Deluxe Red Interior
  • Competition Handling Package (basically Shelby suspension)
  • A/C
  • Limited Slip 3.25
  • Interior Decor Group
  • Exterior Decor Group
  • Convenience Lighting Panel
  • Lower Console
  • Upper Console
  • Shoulder Harness
  • Deluxe Seat Belts
  • Tilt-Away Steering
  • Deluxe Steering Wheel
  • 8-Track
  • Fold Down Rear Seat
I convinced my parents to buy the car when I was in high school back in Nineties. It was originally intended to be a restoration project for me and my Dad back then. The car turned out to be a huge project and I ended up buying a 68 C10 to restore during high school instead. Fast forward two decades, my recently parents handed the car down to me since they never got around to restoring it. I got the car back in January 2016 and have got a fair bit done during the year but have a LONG way to go. Iíll be posting some photos of what I have accomplished so far and update things along the way. LOTS to do since there was far more rust than I had hoped for.
Starting off, here are some photos from 1994. Iíll follow with some various photos bringing me up to present state shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang 1994 Side.jpg (33.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg hood up.jpg (69.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg folded down back seat.jpg (54.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Back of car.jpg (55.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg open door.jpg (66.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg side of car1.jpg (50.5 KB, 93 views)
Grabber70Mach, Huntingky and drock like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 PM

Looking forward to seeing the progress
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Update

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I thought it might be time to show some photos! I think I'll start from the beginning (2016) and work up to the present.

Here it's leaving my parent's house in January 2016 on the tow truck to begin the journey to my house!

Also a pile of parts nicely wrapped up for safe transport.

Finally in my shop before the tear down!

The engine hasn't ran for 2 decades... Going to need some serious love.

Speaking of needing some love, the interior is also needy.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Here's the front end coming apart getting ready for the engine extraction:

A greasy mess!

The number matching 390 on a HEAVY duty stand:

Wouldn't you know, a rusted firewall and floor pans?!

Found an acorn collection above the headliner. Some critters made this home long ago but are long gone now!
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Not sure what happened to my previous post earlier this morning, it said it need to be reviewed by the moderator. I may have to re-post the images to show the lead-up to the ones that just posted.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Here are the photos leading up to the previous update. Sorry they are out of order!

Here's the car leaving my parent's house early 2016 on the tow truck.

No mustang project is complete without a pile of parts!

The fastback's first night in my shop. Looking lonely. I'll change that soon! It's going to get plenty of attention.

The engine hasn't ran since 1994!

The interior is going to need some love too!
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM

It doesn't matter what order the pictures are in, we just like pictures!!

Car looks to be in good shape. Well optioned also. Good luck with the build, I'll definitely keep up with it.

Allen
Israel and 7T02S like this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
My Wimbleton white 67 GTA 390 and I will be watching your progress

I've been spending the last year and a half on my rusty restoration. Maybe half way done, but don't quote me on that! How factory correct will you build yours?
7T02S likes this.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
It doesn't matter what order the pictures are in, we just like pictures!!

Car looks to be in good shape. Well optioned also. Good luck with the build, I'll definitely keep up with it.

Allen
I agree, pictures are worth a thousand word and all of that! I thought it was in better shape than it turned out to be, from a rust standpoint. Pictures to follow!
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock View Post
I've been spending the last year and a half on my rusty restoration. Maybe half way done, but don't quote me on that! How factory correct will you build yours?
I can't wait to see yours. How far along are you?

I am planning to keep it mostly stock, since "stock" on this car was pretty awesome from the factory. However, I'm planning on doing some minor updates, like wheels, brakes, tires, sub-frame connectors, shocks, Shelby A-arm drop, Boss stiffening scheme on the front frame rails and shock towers, vacuum secondary holley, aluminum intake, maybe aluminum heads, headers, exhaust, a bigger '70 mustang fuel tank, possibly manual steering, hydraulic clutch, and probably a few others. The only non-reversible things I'll be doing is probably the sub-frame connectors and Shelby and Boss front suspension mods. As I was taking the floor pan out, I saw how the car really could of used that from the factory since there were several popped spot welds here and there around the center of the car.

Last edited by 7T02S; 03-25-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Tear Down Continued

Here the car is prepped for the rear end to drop out.

Here is the rear end out. It's a 3.25 Traction Lock. I'm hoping it's in good shape internally. I have no way of knowing if these are the Competition Handling Package springs or not.

Front suspension ready to come out. The sway bar and the springs are the correct diameters for the Competition Handling Package; 15/16" for the sway bar and 0.65" on the springs. Unfortunately, the stock adjustable shocks are long gone.

Here's the car after a month after I got it home, taken on Feb 14th, 2016. Ready to go on the rotisserie!
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Great project and keep the updates/photos coming please
Chris
7T02S likes this.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Hi, how ya doin?

Garage
Great project, keep the pics coming.
7T02S likes this.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T02S View Post
I can't wait to see yours. How far along are you?

I am planning to keep it mostly stock, since "stock" on this car was pretty awesome from the factory. However, I'm planning on doing some minor updates, like wheels, brakes, tires, sub-frame connectors, shocks, Shelby A-arm drop, Boss stiffening scheme on the front frame rails and shock towers, vacuum secondary holley, aluminum intake, maybe aluminum heads, headers, exhaust, a bigger '70 mustang fuel tank, possibly manual steering, hydraulic clutch, and probably a few others. The only non-reversible things I'll be doing is probably the sub-frame connectors and Shelby and Boss front suspension mods. As I was taking the floor pan out, I saw how the car really could of used that from the factory since there were several popped spot welds here and there around the center of the car.
I am staying close to factory stock, too. It had non original motor, but everything else matched. I assembled a date correct motor and used a modern cam and ported the stock heads. 75% done with sheet metal repair. Trying to save as much of original as I can, but had to do new cowl, toe boards, floor pans, and trunk floor. Quarters will be next. Rotisserie has made this project feasible for this old back and I have underside and engine bay in epoxy primer. Will your car be white when done? Undecided on mine.
7T02S likes this.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock View Post
I am staying close to factory stock, too. It had non original motor, but everything else matched. I assembled a date correct motor and used a modern cam and ported the stock heads. 75% done with sheet metal repair. Trying to save as much of original as I can, but had to do new cowl, toe boards, floor pans, and trunk floor. Quarters will be next. Rotisserie has made this project feasible for this old back and I have underside and engine bay in epoxy primer. Will your car be white when done? Undecided on mine.
I am looking forward to the time when my car will have some epoxy on it as that will mean progress! Yeah, I'm staying white. I like white cars and trucks anyways, so it's an easy decision for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page