1966 Mustang Convertible Restomod Coyote Build - Page 14 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 65Likes

post #196 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
April Update

The following is a brief summary of what looked to be a complete replacement shell with touchup black paint and bed liner. I instructed no touchup and wasnít expecting anything beyond epoxy primer, but I get it was made to look similar. Iíll have to re-drill for: windshield molding, trim, doorsills, hydraulic clutch, oil bulkhead fittings, power top, quarter panels, AC mounting, AC lines, body tack strip, and a few other things, but I will just have to do it better round two. I used a tape measure and laser on a few positions. The substructure looked to be now symmetrical. Good gap between cowl and doors. The replacement structure has a 66/GT style dash per my request. Super positive and happy about all this.

I brought a few major and minor items to their attention. The following is only a summary. Originally, I had single piece aprons, which looked to be replaced with two-piece aprons with drilled out towers. The LH upper control arm was rubbing along the apron.

It looks like my second pair of fenders was modified like the first set that I provided.

The vehicle was on a four-point lift, so I wasnít able to pull the rims and fully inspect. I brought to their attention that the majority of the suspension hardware, powder coat, and a caliper were damaged. I was instructed that everything passed QC.

My anodized Ring Brother trunk hinges probably need to be replacement as well. There are other things, but overall positive about the replacement. However, not yet ready for the journey home.
Huntingky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ford Performance Racing School

I had the opportunity to attend the Ford Performance Racing School in Tooele, Utah a few weeks ago. I think it is amazing that Ford offers such a program at no cost to individuals who purchase a Ford Performance Vehicle. I attended Raptor Assault which began with some in class instruction learning about: smooth weight transfer, cornering theory, left foot breaking, Raptor drive modes, among other road, and trail techniques. The majority of the day is spent behind the wheel on a dirt track, agility course, dirt mountain road, and through a baja/desert course. It was the first time that I did anything like this and I was really impressed with every aspect of the program. I now have a better understanding and appreciation for the engineering that went into the Raptor and I hope to return someday to attend a class on the track behind a GT. I highly recommend it, especially for beginners, and youíll have the time of your life.

https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/

Unfortunately, I donít have much to report in regards to the 66 Convertible. Iím beginning principle photography on a film and will be slammed for a few weeks. Meanwhile, Iím working on getting the damages, touch up, and remaining structural issues resolved with R3. For the previous 8 months, Iíve always tried to get everything documented, photographed, and have communicated with a clear direction in writing. I had no idea that I would have to deal with this kind of stuff on a home restoration build.
post #198 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 PM

So did this build just end? Canít wait to see more.

post #199 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert66 View Post
So did this build just end? Canít wait to see more.
Thanks for your enthusiasm. Iím excited and am looking forward to resuming the build sometime early next year. Iíve been putting my positive energy into finishing the restoration of my Momís 65 Fastback and have been searching for original parts for the 65 T code convertible shell.

I have purchased, media blasted, powder coated and assembled all new Heidts Pro G front suspension components that I may use for this car or my 65 Fastback. Also have a suspension hardware rebuild kit on order, but I yet wonít know what repair route will be required. I ordered a new radiator support and single piece aprons that I may need to install to get the car back to the way it was. New replacement anodized black trunk hinges on order as well.

Huntingky likes this.
post #200 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:02 PM

Did you buy these parts to replace what was trashed by the carelessness of the folks at the body manufacturer?

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #201 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:47 PM

Garage
Awesome build thread! I have been spending several hours over the last few days reading through. Lots of ideas on how I can spend more money, but that is part of the forums.

Alan

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #202 of 211 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I appreciate all of the support from everyone. Trying to schedule an appointment to pick everything up so that I can move forward with my convertible build and restoration. I have used the year to advance my skills and knowledge by starting another build thread working on my 65 Fastback. It too will be a Coyote powered restomod with very similar suspension and performance upgrades. However, I currently plan on installing the Heidts IRS with mini tubs into the Fastback. You could say, the plan is to build twins, one convertible and the other a fastback.

#1965mustangbeast - Mustang Fastback Coyote Restomod Build

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...mod-build.html

Huntingky likes this.
post #203 of 211 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
I appreciate all of the support from everyone. Trying to schedule an appointment to pick everything up so that I can move forward with my convertible build and restoration. I have used the year to advance my skills and knowledge by starting another build thread working on my 65 Fastback. It too will be a Coyote powered restomod with very similar suspension and performance upgrades. However, I currently plan on installing the Heidts IRS with mini tubs into the Fastback. You could say, the plan is to build twins, one convertible and the other a fastback.
They will be a fun pair!
With the mini tubs many perform the frame notch to gain the extra inch. Just have the Heidts IRS kit on hand to ensure you leave the frame portion intact to accommodate the rear crossmember saddles. I chose to just forgoe the notch and leave the frame alone installing the tub about an inch out from the forward section of the frame and flush with the aft section. You could easily facilitate the frame notch with the IRS by modifying the aft section of the IRS saddles incorporating the actual mini tub frame notch etc. in the end however given my actual measurements you only gain about an inch of tire space.

Iíve been following both of your threads from the beginning and have benefitted from both.
Happy Holidays and best of luck with the convertible / body saga.
post #204 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unfortunately, I don’t have much to report regarding progress on my convertible Mustang, but I will post a brief update. Since December 2018 I have made multiple requests to schedule an appointment to pick up my car from R3 via phone, registered mail, and emails. After my last inspection, I instructed them to stop all work since I think the best way forward is to take my car, new, and OEM parts to a third party shop for an objective inspection to ultimately make the necessary repairs. I’ve tried my best to be detailed and thorough, and help reach an agreement to allow R3 to address incorrect repairs, scratches, and a refund for the invoiced parts that they damaged, but R3 lawyers have stated that “the Corporation is done negotiating.” I also can’t risk taking another long distance trip only to not be allowed to see my car at their facility. Meanwhile, Heidts has been very helpful and I have purchased a complete rebuild kit per their recommendation for their suspension components.

The R3 attorneys also wrote, “After I receive the signed Settlement Agreement back from you, the Corporation will make your car available for immediate pickup,” but I am not interested in a scenario where R3 keeps my OEM parts from my car and new parts that I purchased from other vendors at this time. It would be unreasonable to sign an NDA until after I have made aware of all changes in writing or until my car has been returned to me. I have not received an accurate and written work order for all of the work that was performed on my car since it was delivered to R3 on August 19, 2017. Fortunately, I have kept a detailed record of photographs and emails, but I do not know why R3 performed multiple changes that were never discussed, including relocating my car’s VIN from single piece to two-piece aprons. Both Bill and Ray of R3 were managing my project (emails) and present during multiple inspections, but R3 has informed me that Bill is no longer with the corporation. I have followed the California DMV instructions and they've provided me all of the proper paperwork for my car as a registered PNO (Planned Non Op). R3 was very much aware of this via emails, and should not be surprised that their product is a motor vehicle with a VIN. Due to ongoing issues, my classic auto insurance advised me to post a customer review based on facts and photographs to the R3 yelp and facebook customer review pages at which R3 responded with unfriendly lawyer letters rather than provide a deadline or a written and thorough proposal of how to move forward in regards to the remaining issues with my car. I removed my posts, but due to ongoing and new damages, I had no choice but to repost my concerns about a year later, at which R3 had their lawyers send me unfriendly letters calling me a “petulant child.”

I would rather be posting updates focusing on assembly and installation. In summary, R3 has been paid in full around thirty thousand dollars and is not responding to my requests to schedule an appointment to pick up my car along-with my OEM parts that has been in their possession for about a year and a half. A third party needs to inspect and address the damages. Since beginning this thread, I have spent close to six figures in parts for my car, along with a lot of time doing the vast majority of the work myself as documented via this forum thread. I think I have been exceptionally patient and reasonable to expect quality work. I’m a hobbyist builder and this is a very brief summary and update at this time.

Last edited by image98; 04-27-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
post #205 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
So sorry to read about your issues with R3, boy do I hate lawyers. I hope that you and R3 can come to terms, pickup your car and parts, and move on. Stories like yours is one of the reasons I do my own work and keep the car in my possession.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #206 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM

What a sad story and I applaud your restraint to keep from using every means possible to trash these people. Do you have your own legal representation? If not, with the money you have invested it may be worth speaking to an attorney before agreeing to anything.

At the very least, I know what my comments will be if someone asks me about this company.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #207 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post

I wonder if anyone bothered to check those side graphics with the door open?

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #208 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM

Nice Work!!
What do you think you will have in it $$ when its all said and done?
post #209 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth 66 View Post
Nice Work!!
What do you think you will have in it $$ when its all said and done?
By the time the shoddy body manufacturer is done milking him dry, I wouldn't be surprised if its $200k

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #210 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
By the time the shoddy body manufacturer is done milking him dry, I wouldn't be surprised if its $200k
He would have been better off taking it to Gas Monkey. Might have even seen his car on TV.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page