Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mooresville, IN
O.k. I made a jig for each side to ensure the proper placement of the used OE strut brackets after I remove the Scott Drake replacement parts. While removing the OE brackets from the donor clip I wondered if it might be best to just remove the center of the bracket where the strut rod goes thru and replace the SD part with the OE part. The reason being that the SD parts are overall stronger than the OE stuff.
I carefully removed the SD inner bracket but before committing to just swapping this part out I placed my jigs on the car to verify placement of the SD parts and found much to my displeasure that I had installed the SD parts exactly one inch outboard of the proper location. The distressing part is that I used measurements found on either this site or another Mustang site and were professed to be accurate.
At this point I hadn't done any disassembly of the OE brackets so removed the SD brackets as originally planned to install the OE brackets. So where it stands right now is the SD brackets have been removed, the OE brackets have been removed, all welding remains have been cleaned from the frame and using my jigs I have trial fit the OE parts to the frame and then dummied up the Ride Tech parts and amazingly they fit perfectly.
The next step is to drill the necessary holes to support the bearing retainers, sandblast and paint the OE parts and get them welded in then move on with getting everything bolted in to assure fit before painting the forward chassis its final color. Pictures have been taken and will be uploaded in a day or two.