CP66's 66 CP Solo II Notchback or "Racing, the Disease" - Page 6 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 99Likes

post #76 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just wanted to add a shot of it fully on the rotisserie. The Galaxie project is on hold for a few weeks (primary project) so hoping to get the tubs in during this time.

Huntingky and Eitelbj like this.

So Many Cones, So Little Time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've been busy working the tubs into final position to be welded in place. I've got the right tub tacked in and am dealing with the gaps that resulted from piss poor planning when I started the project 20+ years ago. It won't be a show quality installation but it IS a racecar and none of the welds will be visible anyway. On a positive note I am finally getting an opportunity to use the welder more and the weld qualities do seem to be improving. By the time I finish this I may be able to produce a weld suitable for viewing!!
Huntingky likes this.

post #78 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not going to share the pics of the gorilla welds but here's a shot looking up in towards the front with the flare cleco'ed back in place. The oval slot is for the upper trailing arm that goes in and ties to the cage.

Looking back. There's still some clean up work to do, specifically and the bottom of the tub aft of the tire. Like I said, piss poor planning from several years ago.

Just a side profile.

Rear profile.

I will say that if you have the opportunity to put your project up on a rotisserie it makes it so much easier to work on. Once I get the tubs finished I am going to go ahead and install the torque boxes I have had for years and do the Boss shock tower strengthening of which I also already have all the pre-cut and preformed pieces. I also want to do some triangulation around the firewall area and finish welding all the various holes closed in it. That "should" finish out the underside so I can throw a final coat of paint on it. Best laid plans and all that, we'll see how it goes.
Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

post #79 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is the type of reinforcing I'm planning for the fire wall area:

If this is your car, thank you for the inspiration.
2nd 66 likes this.

post #80 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Working on the drivers side now, sorry no close ups of the gorilla welds.

Huntingky likes this.

post #81 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A couple of close ups of the left side:

Front view

Rear view

Side view
Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

post #82 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
If you've never seen it this might be a fun read through for ya
Ol'Beastly/Mustang/Ford Mustang/Ford/C Prepared/Autocross
PS the early resemblance to mine is uncanny
CP66 and Huntingky like this.

Brad
post #83 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
If you've never seen it this might be a fun read through for ya
Ol'Beastly/Mustang/Ford Mustang/Ford/C Prepared/Autocross
PS the early resemblance to mine is uncanny

Cool! There's something familiar about your car, I've read about it somewhere else or seen it somewhere now that I've seen this write up. I'll figure it out eventually the synapses slow down in cold weather.

post #84 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Left tub is completed and has a coat of rattle can etching primer on it.

Different view with the flare in place.

Huntingky, 2nd 66 and Rowdy like this.

post #85 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a bump:

Huntingky likes this.

post #86 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 AM

I have read through this thread and I appreciate you sharing it with us.
I have a question for you....What about ridetech is superior to other vendors such as SoT or GW? The ability to fit everything inside an 18" rim?
What spindle are you using? Have and good pics of the rear suspension? You mention early on about a 3 link, but the pics don't seem to show a 3 link.
Why such an extensive cage on an Auto-X car? chassis stiffness?

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #87 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't get into the technical variations of the various manufacturers as I'm not an engineer. I know they all work very well and I've never used any SoT products but have made extensive use of GW products and have a lot of faith in them. My choice to use the Ridetech vs the others is based on personal preference; I'm not a fan of strut front suspension so that knocked out the SoT and the Global West system is a vast improvement over the factory setup but it is restricted by the limitations of the stock mounting locations. I liked the RT because they redesigned the lower arm mount and addressed bump steer and in my situation they went with a heim bearing instead of rubber, poly, delrin, etc. This is strictly a race car so road noise, nvh, etc are not an issue.

Just looking at SoT I had them confused with a different manufacturer so no they are not Strut based.

The spindle is Ridetech and uses C5 brake components. Yes it is an extensive cage, two reasons; chassis stiffness as you mentioned and also the car has a minimum weight of between 2700 lbs and 3000 lbs depending on engine choice. My last car had an empty weight of around 2400 lbs before ballast so I decided to add a couple of extra tubes to make use of them for ballast and additional stiffness.

My definition of 3 link may not be accurate and I'll see if I can get more pictures of it but to describe it; there are two bars that tie to the center bottom of the rear end housing and each goes out to the front leaf spring mount on each side. This locates the rearend left to right. From the top of the rear end housing right behind each caliper there is a bar that goes forward into the passenger compartment and ties into the cage. There is a second bar parallel to that under the floorpan going forward also. Then of course the two shocks.

Last edited by CP66; 02-10-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #88 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP66 View Post
I can't get into the technical variations of the various manufacturers as I'm not an engineer. I know they all work very well and I've never used any SoT products but have made extensive use of GW products and have a lot of faith in them. My choice to use the Ridetech vs the others is based on personal preference; I'm not a fan of strut front suspension so that knocked out the SoT and the Global West system is a vast improvement over the factory setup but it is restricted by the limitations of the stock mounting locations. I liked the RT because they redesigned the lower arm mount and addressed bump steer and in my situation they went with a heim bearing instead of rubber, poly, delrin, etc. This is strictly a race car so road noise, nvh, etc are not an issue.

Just looking at SoT I had them confused with a different manufacturer so no they are not Strut based.

The spindle is Ridetech and uses C5 brake components. Yes it is an extensive cage, two reasons; chassis stiffness as you mentioned and also the car has a minimum weight of between 2700 lbs and 3000 lbs depending on engine choice. My last car had an empty weight of around 2400 lbs before ballast so I decided to add a couple of extra tubes to make use of them for ballast and additional stiffness.

My definition of 3 link may not be accurate and I'll see if I can get more pictures of it but to describe it; there are two bars that tie to the center bottom of the rear end housing and each goes out to the front leaf spring mount on each side. This locates the rearend left to right. From the top of the rear end housing right behind each caliper there is a bar that goes forward into the passenger compartment and ties into the cage. There is a second bar parallel to that under the floorpan going forward also. Then of course the two shocks.

Need to clean this up a little, there is only one bar per side from the top of the rearend housing forward to a tie in on the cage, there is no parallel bar under the floor pan. Picture forthcoming.

post #89 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is the left side, you can see the lower bars that attach at the bottom of the pumpkin going forward to a tie in point forward and outboard of the original leaf spring mounts. You can see the upper bar where it ties in right behind the end of the axle tube , goes thru the floor and ties into the cage. The mount at the cage can be raised and lowered to alter the handling characteristics although I'm not exactly sure what the change does. This thing is going to be an entirely new learning curve for me and I'm looking forward to it. I'm keepingmy fingers crossed that it'll be operational this year before the autox season is over.

Jsams, Huntingky and Rowdy like this.

Last edited by CP66; 02-10-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #90 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP66 View Post
This is the left side, you can see the lower bars that attach at the bottom of the pumpkin going forward to a tie in point forward and outboard of the original leaf spring mounts. You can see the upper bar where it ties in right behind the end of the axle tube , goes thru the floor and ties into the cage. The mount at the cage can be raised and lowered to alter the handling characteristics although I'm not exactly sure what the change does. This thing is going to be an entirely new learning curve for me and I'm looking forward to it. I'm keepingmy fingers crossed that it'll be operational this year before the autox season is over.

Never seen a 4 link like that! Looks cool

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in