Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mooresville, IN
I drug the old racecar motor out of the bowels of the shop last weekend, pulled the plugs and shot them full of WD and sprayed a bunch into the exhaust ports. Went back out a couple of days later and crossed my fingers as I applied some torque to the crank bolt and it spun freely (rock woot dude here). I did pickle it VERY well when I pulled it out some 20 years ago but still, it's been sitting on a storage stand for 20 years so I had envisioned the worst.
I pulled the valve covers, intake and oil pan and was surprised how clean the internals were. True it only has about 40 hours of total run time on it but 90% of that time was WFO! Even the machine shop remarked how clean and good shape it was all in so hopefully we're just talking rings and bearings for the shortblock. The heads on the other hand are box stock J302's that were purchased back when they were the only aluminum head offering for the 5 liter and since nobody in the area I lived in at the time were familiar with then I chose to leave alone.
I'm going to have them port match the heads and intake and do the same on the exhaust side. I had considered going to a more contemporary head design but decided to wait on that until I start putting the 393 together. This combination dynoed in the mid 430 range 20 years ago so I'm hoping the head work and intake change will push it over 450.
So Many Cones, So Little Time!