1967 Mustang Coupe to Fastback Conversion - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

1967 Mustang Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Hey all,

Some of you have been waiting for me to start this thread and I apologize for the wait. I have been ironing out some issues with the base car for a bit and have finally figured how to proceed. Essentially some previous metal work left the front frame rails low causing a fender to door gap issue as well as fender to cowl gap issues. So, with the help of some others on this forum and the Ford Service Manual (FSM), I have figured out what is wrong and what to do.

First, I know this is a sensitive topic for some (converting a Coupe to a Fastback). In no way do I mean to offend anyone. My car is a good candidate for the conversion as it is severely rusted and weak from years of neglect. This is going to by my ride and stay in my family with a Coupe VIN. It is going to be built to my standards (obsessively high) and is meant to be a street car as well as being fun from the first weld to a drive in the mountains. So, if you're not a fan, please visit another build!

Secondly, I am not a body guy. I was a mechanic for a number of years and even have a degree in mechanics. I am learning as I go for this build but know that I have spent the better part of 2 years preparing for this with a ton of research and acquiring the tools needed to do the job. Personally, I have never been afraid to try something others wouldn't dream of doing even with the lack of experience. Point is: I am not afraid to do this and won't stop until I am successful with an accurate, functioning, and eye pleasing build as well as learning a new skill set.

Third, I hope you all enjoy this adventure with me. Please feel free to give advice, beg for more photos, and help with the success!

To start off, I have created a youtube channel to aid in the longer bits of the build so I don't have to wear out my keyboard. Please Subscribe!!
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0b...r7z6nemIIzUgyg

My original problem that has lead me to this point can be seen on this thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-question.html

There is some great information and some images that I put together with the FSM on that thread.

The car: The Coupe came complete out of a junkyard in Baltimore and was missing only some minor things (handles, engine brackets, etc..). The entire frame is rusted terribly and benefits from all new metal which dictated my route for the conversion. The only "good" metal was the transition pan, the rear shock crossmember, the shock towers, inner section of the doors, and the dash. Attached is the good side of the car when I picked her up. All 4 wheels were locked in place (drums) so we took a hammer to them and broke the metal off the drum portion of the brakes to get all of them to actually spin. The rear end was somewhat locked up and barely turned. Thank god for come-a-longs.

I don't get to work often on the car but when I do I will try and update as I go along with a video to follow! For the time being please enjoy the youtube channel until I can post some pics of the work I am about to do this week.

Slows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stang.jpg (83.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Stang 2.jpg (88.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Stang 3.jpg (88.4 KB, 84 views)
bcaccavale and FRC928 like this.

~Paul

"It's not that you can't do it, you just haven't been able to yet"

1967 Mustang Coupe to Fastback - In progress
Build Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0b...r7z6nemIIzUgyg

Last edited by lowlyslows; 01-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I’ll be following.
lowlyslows likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Slows,
It actually looks better than most North East rust belt cars. I should know, growing up in Pennsylvania and having several rusted out Mustangs from the winters and road salt. Good luck on the restoration.
Dave

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Look forward to the build!

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyslows View Post
I know this is a sensitive topic for some (converting a Coupe to a Fastback). In no way do I mean to offend anyone.
There are a few members here that don't care much for conversions and are vocal about it (three in particular come to mind) and each is a well regarded member of VMF. Know however that their opinion of coupe to fastback conversions is their problem, not yours.

You will find plenty of interest and support for your build here. Plenty.
Israel, eldog, rpm and 3 others like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halojm View Post
Slows,
It actually looks better than most North East rust belt cars. I should know, growing up in Pennsylvania and having several rusted out Mustangs from the winters and road salt. Good luck on the restoration.
Dave

Ha! This is so true. I used to inspect cars at shop in willisamsport, nasty rust!!

~Paul

Build Channel
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post

You will find plenty of interest and support for your build here. Plenty.
Thanks for the support!!

~Paul

Build Channel
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM

PA Inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyslows View Post
Ha! This is so true. I used to inspect cars at shop in willisamsport, nasty rust!!
Slows,
I used to be a PA vehicle Inspector in Harrisburg, PA in the late 1970s/early 1980s when we had twice a year inspections. I never thought of it before, but those bi-annual inspections might have been because of all that North East rust!
Dave
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halojm View Post
Slows,
I used to be a PA vehicle Inspector in Harrisburg, PA in the late 1970s/early 1980s when we had twice a year inspections. I never thought of it before, but those bi-annual inspections might have been because of all that North East rust!
Dave
It's a big portion of why they do so many, yes (the other is tax revenue).
Living in NY, OH, and PA I've seen what salt can do to a car even only five years old, let alone fifty-five.

As fastbacks continue their march towards unobtanium, I think we'll see plenty more C-F builds. It's your car, build as you see fit.
lowlyslows likes this.

-Tom
• 1968 Mustang Fastback
• 2015 Ford F150 FX4
• 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
• 2002 Chrysler 300M Special

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Garage
coupe to fastback

i did a coupe to fastback conversion last spring, turned out great!
The top of the coupe was removed and the fastback roof was fitted to the coupe when I bought it. the seller gave up on it. so I re-fitted the top, welded it on, looks good. Make sure the windshield fits as you go, get the rear width correct(Idid not) by installing the trunk BEFORE you weld it all together.same way with the doors. just don't get into a hurry and it will turn out nice. i was 17 when the fastback came out, had to do my duty and serve during the Vietnam bull****, so had no money. anyhow, I fainally got one. I am installing a Bogus Boss 302 with a t5 to make it fast. Have fun, it's only iron.
Mr.E likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln62 View Post
i did a coupe to fastback conversion last spring, turned out great!
The top of the coupe was removed and the fastback roof was fitted to the coupe when I bought it. the seller gave up on it. so I re-fitted the top, welded it on, looks good. Make sure the windshield fits as you go, get the rear width correct(Idid not) by installing the trunk BEFORE you weld it all together.same way with the doors. just don't get into a hurry and it will turn out nice. i was 17 when the fastback came out, had to do my duty and serve during the Vietnam bull****, so had no money. anyhow, I fainally got one. I am installing a Bogus Boss 302 with a t5 to make it fast. Have fun, it's only iron.

Will do! I plan to clamp everything together prior to finish welding. I do have a windshield and with my planned install route, I should be able to keep everything in the correct spot as I go along. I plan to keep the front roof brace (original) in place and do one side at a time.

I hope to start removing some metal this weekend to get the new floor supports on and in the correct spot per the Ford Service Manual. I will take some photos and do a video and get those uploaded ASAP!

Thanks!

~Paul

Build Channel
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
In addition to the shop manual you should have this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bkam19.jpg (81.3 KB, 39 views)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 PM

I'll be watching this too as this is my planned route to what I want. Interesting enough the original color of my base coupe was lime gold like yours but doesn't have the same rust issues as it came from the south. Post lots of pics as you go and good luck. - Matt
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
In addition to the shop manual you should have this one.
Have it!!

~Paul

Build Channel
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey all,

So I finally got to work on the Mustang a bit this weekend. As you know I am starting with the floor supports. I uploaded a video to my youtube channel.

I was able to remove the driver side floor support in a little over an hour and did some checking and cleanup. I ground down all the slag from gouging with my plasma cutter fit the new floor support. All in all, I like the new metal and I didn't end up needing to trim any of it to get it in place. I also plan to weld in some 2" square tubing inside the frame rail through the floor support and into the subframe connector to tie the front of the car to the back of the car. This should help strengthen the car up along with the convertible inner rockers which is a highly suggested mod with the power I plan to have.

After doing some measuring I noted that the distance between the floor supports at the locating holes is greater than what is suggested in the FSM (29.88 or 29 7/8). Because of how the crossmember attaches to the floor supports I don't think I will be able to adjust this measurement. This is not a big deal because the front frame rails inside distance between each other is 27 1/2" which is dictated by the distance from the trans tunnel crossmember. To confirm, I am going to measure my buddies 1968 Fastback to see where his floor supports sit.

One other thing, I put a digital level on the transmission mount crossmember and noted that the driver side is low by .7 degrees. Not a big deal and I will play around with it to get it a bit more level.

I am waiting on some weld through primer to prep the metal on the car and the floor supports. Should be here tomorrow.

Please check out my channel for a bit more detail! More to come. I need to figure out how to get my photos reduced down so I can upload them. File size is too big to upload..

~Paul

Build Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page