S - Code Resurrection - 67 390 Coupe Build - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 62Likes

post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

I've had more than a couple of PM's from members giving advice or sharing concerns with this project. They've all been very friendly and the advice has been appreciated and implemented. Besides keeping me motivated to work on this project, this build forum helps keep me from doing something completely wrong or even just the hard way. I've never been this deep in a project before and mistakes are going to happen.

If someone catches a mistake before it costs me time and money to fix I think that is priceless. Thanks for the words of encouragement and all the advice. Keep it coming!

A quick pm of "Hey dummy, your hood is on backwards" would also be appreciated if needed...

Also, if someone had mentioned to the previous owner 20+ years ago that you shouldn't use silicone caulk to hold in floor patches over rusted floors or that 390 FE's NEED a pilot bushing in the crankshaft, then my life would be easier today! (Also, rivets aren't for body panels, don't use 6 nuts on an exhaust stud to act as a spacer, a 6 cylinder radiator doesn't cool a 390, purple tint is ugly and numerous other things)
120mm and Mr.E like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More Slow Progress

More pieces are coming home from the machine shop every week. Crankshaft required a 10/10 grind but was well worth it. Factory 390GT 14 bolt heads are going next. They're not the best but they're what I have. The factory 14 bolt cast iron exhaust manifolds are there now getting checked and surfaced. I may cough up the money and put a good set of headers on this thing and free up some power. The factory manifolds do not do these motors any favors.

Finally got around to replacing the passenger toe board. This will allow me to move on to the passenger floor pan within the next few weeks. Also started removal of the trunk floor, this area was worse than I initially though but nothing that can't be handled.

After a more thorough inspection it looks like both quarters will need replaced/re-skinned. Previous owner patched both sides using huge flanges and lap welds. Now even those patches are showing signs of rust. Guess i'm about to learn how replace quarters!

20180129_190421 by M L, on Flickr

20180123_182735 by M L, on Flickr

20180123_184555 by M L, on Flickr
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got a little shop time today. Began prepping the passenger side cowl vent patch. So far it looks like the fit will be close, but still require a little massaging. Did a little under-dash cleaning and sanding while I could get to it from above.

2018-02-01_09-28-55 by M L, on Flickr

2018-02-01_09-29-21 by M L, on Flickr

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Found some time to weld and finish the passenger side cowl patch. The Spectra part was not a perfect fit, but didn't require too much massaging and beating. Spent a little while getting the seam as smooth as possible to avoid any possibility of moisture/rust once the cowl panel is back on. This area will be covered in epoxy primer/paint before going back together.

Next up is to do the same thing to the passenger side. Did get a few of the spot welds cut out today and will try to get the rest out tomorrow.

Still need passenger floor pan, a few far rear floor patches, trunk floors, and quarter panels. Not sure yet if I'm going to even attempt the quarter panels myself.

20180216_175355 by M L, on Flickr

20180216_175341 by M L, on Flickr
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Pretty amazing work man. Excited to see the progress on this thing. Iíve got a build thread myself with my 67 Coupe. Lot of rust removal for me too. Luckily not as much around the frame or under the cowl panel. Just lots of body rust. Iím having to re-do both front floor pans, as my dad years ago when he installed them did a poor job with not really knowing how to install them properly. Iím trying to figure out the best way to do it myself. Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytotin View Post
Pretty amazing work man. Excited to see the progress on this thing. Iíve got a build thread myself with my 67 Coupe. Lot of rust removal for me too. Luckily not as much around the frame or under the cowl panel. Just lots of body rust. Iím having to re-do both front floor pans, as my dad years ago when he installed them did a poor job with not really knowing how to install them properly. Iím trying to figure out the best way to do it myself. Have fun with it.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I checked out your 67 GT build. You have it looking good, I hope I can make my quarters look as good as that once I decide to tackle them. What brand of quarter panels did you use? Did you have any fitment issues? I'm thinking of starting a new thread asking for quarter panel recommendations. Most of the threads discussing poor fitment issues are 10+ years old. I'm hoping that maybe some of the tooling has improved since then.
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melawren View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words! I checked out your 67 GT build. You have it looking good, I hope I can make my quarters look as good as that once I decide to tackle them. What brand of quarter panels did you use? Did you have any fitment issues? I'm thinking of starting a new thread asking for quarter panel recommendations. Most of the threads discussing poor fitment issues are 10+ years old. I'm hoping that maybe some of the tooling has improved since then.

But as far as fitment issues no I didnít really have any, not knowing how to really get them on didnít help lol , since I removed the lead seem it was a bit easier to get them on, but I still had a little twisting and tweaking to make them fit over the panel side behind the door.

post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally installed the driver's side cowl patch. I ordered a Goodmark hoping it would fit a little better than the Spectra that I used on the passenger side, when it showed up it had Goodmark and Spectra tags on it. Fitment was far from perfect but still workable. The stamp for the wiper arm mount was in the correct place, but had no holes drilled or nuts attached. At this point I'm still not sure if it would have been easier to have replaced the entire panel instead of the two patches. Doing a single patch panel at a time and keeping the center section attached helped hold everything in place while I worked, atleast that was my thought at the time. These bodies seam to twist and move easily, especially when you start removing structural pieces. Took a few hours over a couple of weeks but I got it bent, shaped, welded, blended and primered. The entire cowl and engine bay are sprayed with Eastwood 2 part epoxy primer and sprayed with a Harbor Freight $14 spray gun. Not perfect, but I'm pleased.

20180326_200618 by M L, on Flickr

20180326_200636 by M L, on Flickr
vegasloki likes this.
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Great progress! Keep it up. Paint on the engine bay looks good.

2013 Viper GTS 1/2 mile best of 157.99mph 8.4L V10 @ 600whp
2005 Ram SRT10 with T56 Conversion and many other mods
2005 Mustang GT 5 speed- wife's daily
2016 Nissan Maxima SR - wife's other daily
1973 Lincoln Mark IV- triple black
1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A few more "Before" pics of the driver's side cowl install. This shows where the bends didn't line up and where I had to heat the front side to allow it to fit over the firewall indention.

20180305_200840 by M L, on Flickr

20180312_172059 by M L, on Flickr

20180314_163403 by M L, on Flickr
120mm likes this.
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've decided there is a conspiracy to keep me from getting shop time. However, I've still managed to sneak away and make a little progress.

Finally started to reassemble some of the front end in hopes of getting it back to roller status soon.

Special thanks to John at Opentracker for getting me headed in the right direction. He answered my email quickly and with lots of great advice. I wasn't sure on doing the Shelby/Arning Drop on a big block car, but he highly recommended it as well as giving me an idea on the springs I will need for the stance and ride I'm looking for.

Steering assembly is almost back on, getting ready to drill the holes for the Shelby drop (as soon as my brother brings me a 17/32 bit) and also starting to mock up the disc brakes. The car was originally four wheel manual drums.

20180507_203956 by M L, on Flickr

20180507_203947 by M L, on Flickr

20180507_204013 by M L, on Flickr
120mm likes this.
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also picked up a 1" sway bar at Pate's last weekend. It is for a small block but I had planned on doing a remote oil filter anyway so I figured I would go ahead and get it. Now I'm having second thoughts on using a remote filter and can't decide if I need to get a big block sway bar and use the factory filter location or go with my original plan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2018-05-07_10-39-23 by M L, on Flickr
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 AM

I just did a shelby drop on my 67 hardtop s code. Getting alignment done on Friday, did strut bushings also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
120mm likes this.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks good! Maybe tomorrow I can get mine drilled....Finally

Current Project: 67 Mustang S-Code Coupe
Next Project: 68 F100 Ranger 360 3spd Factory A/C Lunar Green/White
Future Project: 57 Ford 2dr Sedan 390 tri-power with 4spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page