I posted a few months back to introduce myself and this project. Thought I would try to share my misadventures on here as this project creeps along. I don't post much, but I am getting pretty good at using the search feature to get my Mustang rebuild questions answered. Every question that i've needed an answer to seems to have already been asked/answered on this site. Feel free to ask any questions or give any advice. I'm going real slow on the project trying to do it right.
This was a lower optioned 67 coupe, but it was a factory S-Code. Manual steering, manual drum brakes, 3-speed, no console, no A/C, but it did have a luggage rack!
It's been about a year since we pulled it out of the pasture and started removing rust. I'll add more pics as I get a chance. Thanks for looking!
Hope to install the front aprons and radiator support/crossmember this week. Then will start on patching the defrost vents under the cowl. Both were rusted out which allowed water to get to both floor pans. Also working on installing the Kelsey/Hayes calipers and other assorted front end pieces as I collect them.
Core support showed up yesterday, but it looked like it had been used as a wheel chock sometime during transport. Replacement is on it's way. Spent today blasting and painting random parts and cutting out more rusted floor sections to get ready for the pans.
Replacement radiator support arrived while I was at work yesterday, when I got home this morning I got it mocked up and clamped. Next step is to use the search feature and see if I can find any of those old threads that give all the correct measurements. Can't wait to start welding but I want the placement to be spot on before I create a mess I can't fix.
Measured, cross measured, leveled, checked height, checked width, cross measured again, clamped, put old fenders on, checked again, then tacked the front core support. OCD will make me do it again before final welding.
Found one issue with the the driver's side shock tower being about 1/8" - 1/4" lower than the passengers side. Everything else around it is square and level. After closer inspection it looks like it was that way from the factory. It appears that it was just installed a little lower than the other. No obvious damage or replaced parts. I'm guessing that was just acceptable frame tolerance in 1967 Ford factories.
Also, began disassembly of the 390 and prep and painting of steering linkage.
Got the core support welded on today after checking again that the engine bay was square. Spot/Rosette welds are getting better and easier to blend. Test fit the driver's side floor pan. It looks like it will be a good fit.
Also dropped the block off at the machine shop for a bath, check-up and hone. Hope it gets a clean bill of health.