Vintage Mustang Forums banner

S - Code Resurrection - 67 390 Coupe Build

23K views 100 replies 27 participants last post by  melawren 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted a few months back to introduce myself and this project. Thought I would try to share my misadventures on here as this project creeps along. I don't post much, but I am getting pretty good at using the search feature to get my Mustang rebuild questions answered. Every question that i've needed an answer to seems to have already been asked/answered on this site. Feel free to ask any questions or give any advice. I'm going real slow on the project trying to do it right.

This was a lower optioned 67 coupe, but it was a factory S-Code. Manual steering, manual drum brakes, 3-speed, no console, no A/C, but it did have a luggage rack!

It's been about a year since we pulled it out of the pasture and started removing rust. I'll add more pics as I get a chance. Thanks for looking!

2017-11-10_02-52-28 by M L, on Flickr

2017-11-10_02-41-10 by M L, on Flickr

2017-11-10_02-34-15 by M L, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the board,...any more pictures?

As pictured, that looks pretty much like the way and shape that I saw / bought mine.

That’s a very trusting dog you’ve got. I almost missed him.

#9 ·
We're just south of Fort Worth near Cleburne.

That’s a very trusting dog you’ve got. I almost missed him.
That's Molly the Shop Dog. If i'm in the shop, she's in the shop. Doesn't matter how much noise I make.

#3 · (Edited)
Hope to install the front aprons and radiator support/crossmember this week. Then will start on patching the defrost vents under the cowl. Both were rusted out which allowed water to get to both floor pans. Also working on installing the Kelsey/Hayes calipers and other assorted front end pieces as I collect them.

2017-11-11_01-30-59 by M L, on Flickr

20170122_192026 by M L, on Flickr

#6 ·
Dumped Photobucket, went back with Flickr.... Hope this works. Will try to get some up to date pics today.

Reactions: Israel
#7 ·
Reactions: 7T02S and image98
#10 ·
Core support showed up yesterday, but it looked like it had been used as a wheel chock sometime during transport. Replacement is on it's way. Spent today blasting and painting random parts and cutting out more rusted floor sections to get ready for the pans.

20171111_122129_zpsydkhucnu by M L, on Flickr

#12 ·
Replacement radiator support arrived while I was at work yesterday, when I got home this morning I got it mocked up and clamped. Next step is to use the search feature and see if I can find any of those old threads that give all the correct measurements. Can't wait to start welding but I want the placement to be spot on before I create a mess I can't fix.

2017-11-17_04-56-41 by M L, on Flickr

20171117_154936 by M L, on Flickr

#16 ·
I've always wondered why this car had a 390 option but nothing else. Not sure if it was custom ordered this way as a hotrod, if so I would think that the 4 speed would have been added on to the list. Who knows.

#14 ·
Measured, cross measured, leveled, checked height, checked width, cross measured again, clamped, put old fenders on, checked again, then tacked the front core support. OCD will make me do it again before final welding.

Found one issue with the the driver's side shock tower being about 1/8" - 1/4" lower than the passengers side. Everything else around it is square and level. After closer inspection it looks like it was that way from the factory. It appears that it was just installed a little lower than the other. No obvious damage or replaced parts. I'm guessing that was just acceptable frame tolerance in 1967 Ford factories.

Also, began disassembly of the 390 and prep and painting of steering linkage.

20171016_204716 by M L, on Flickr

20171017_191152 by M L, on Flickr

Reactions: 120mm and rpm
#15 ·
Slow progress, slower updates...

Got the core support welded on today after checking again that the engine bay was square. Spot/Rosette welds are getting better and easier to blend. Test fit the driver's side floor pan. It looks like it will be a good fit.

Also dropped the block off at the machine shop for a bath, check-up and hone. Hope it gets a clean bill of health.

20171127_181724 by M L, on Flickr

20171206_181401 by M L, on Flickr

20171127_181650 by M L, on Flickr

Reactions: Caper50
#22 ·
Update 12/17/17

I did not realize there was already a "Project Tetanus", did not mean to steal the name from the original thread. Hopefully a mod can rename this thread for me to
"S-Code Resurrection - 67 390 Coupe Build". Wish I would have come up with the term "Disgustang", that would be the most fitting name, but it too is already taken.

Anyway...

Dropped the 390 block off at the machine shop last week. It was still at a standard 4.050 bore, but it had been gone through before. Will probably end up at .040 over and possibly one sleeve. Not the report I was hoping for, but I'm ok with it for this build.

The radiator support and crossmember have been welded on and I've got the driver's side floor pan 90% installed. Just need to finish welding and smoothing.

I'm still trying to decide which way to go with the underhood paint. Originally I was going to rattle can it, but after seeing the affects of a few brake cleaner over-sprays I think I'll be better off doing it with spray gun.

Drivers Floorpan 1967 Mustang by M L, on Flickr

#23 ·
Source for Measurements

What source did you get the measurements from? I have a 1970 Mach 1 where I am replacing the front subframe now, but will be replacing the front inner fender aprons and radiator support. Like you, I want the height and width to be spot on before welding.

Thanks,

Alan

#24 ·
Most of my front end measurements came from reading threads on his site as well as a few others. Not sure if it's frowned on to link to other Mustang sites, but a helpful thread from this site was this one...

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...nt-frame-rail-replacment-need-dimensions.html

I purchased the Jim Osborn assembly manual hoping it would provide measurements. It was helpful, but did not provide the info I needed for correctly assembling the front fender aprons.

#25 ·
Actually the 3 speed you have in the car is a relatively rare "heavy duty" 3 speed, unlike the regular 3.03 speed that came with T, C and A code cars. Might be a good conversation starter at shows later on.
IRC that heavy duty 3 speed had to be ordered as a separate-but-mandatory option when you ticked the 390 option on the order sheet, unless you chose the 4 speed or C6. Also, the sharp white 390 GT fastback that was featured in the two page centerfold spread of the '67 Ford Mustang dealer brochure was listed as having the 390 and 3 speed manual setup as well. So it wasn't at all unheard of back then.
This will be nice car when you're done!

#26 ·
Thanks for the info!!!

I just realized a few days ago that my transmission crossmember is not stamped with "390 STD" . Did the "Heavy Duty" 3 speed use a different crossmember or was mine lost long ago and replaced? I thought all 3 and 4 speed BB crossmembers were stamped with the "390 STD" designation. The one I have (that came with the car) appears to be for a small block, atleast the dimensions suggest it is.

#27 ·
Giving me the sweats remembering those same exact repairs on mine. Keep truckin!

#28 ·
Block is home

Picked the block up from the machine shop a couple of days ago. Ended up not needing sleeves but did get bored 0.040 over, new cam bearings and brass expansion plugs. Just started the painting process with the Corporate Ford Blue. Not trying to make this a concours restoration, but I do want it to look right.

Next I will take the crank to the shop and get it checked. I was holding off on taking too many parts to the machine shop until I knew the block was good to go.

Also started removing the rusted out areas of the passenger side floor. It's obvious now that I should have gone with a complete floor pan. This will be fine with a little extra work, but I could have really saved some time for not much more money. I will on the next one for sure!!!

20171221_184730 by M L, on Flickr

2017-12-24_03-26-44 by M L, on Flickr

20171223_195357 by M L, on Flickr

Reactions: 120mm and Huntingky
#29 ·
Not much in the way of actual progress to the body lately. The crankshaft is still at the machine shop, can't order bearings until I know how much, if any, it will be ground.

With all the sales going on over the holidays I ordered quite a few random pieces and tools but still stayed on budget. Moog ball joints for sale on amazon for $10 and Raybestos front rotors for $20. Once the front end/engine bay gets painted I can start reassembly and get this thing rolling again.

The passenger side toe-board arrived yesterday, if I get a chance this weekend I'll start prepping it for installation.

I bought a pneumatic punch/flange tool for assisting with the rosette welds on these panels. This should have been the tool I purchased first!!! Makes perfect holes every time with no need to drill and sand off burrs and no sharp edges...It's like magic.

Pics show holes punched on a scrap panel.

20180104_164905 by M L, on Flickr

20180104_164857 by M L, on Flickr

#31 ·
Thanks!

I've had more than a couple of PM's from members giving advice or sharing concerns with this project. They've all been very friendly and the advice has been appreciated and implemented. Besides keeping me motivated to work on this project, this build forum helps keep me from doing something completely wrong or even just the hard way. I've never been this deep in a project before and mistakes are going to happen.

If someone catches a mistake before it costs me time and money to fix I think that is priceless. Thanks for the words of encouragement and all the advice. Keep it coming!

A quick pm of "Hey dummy, your hood is on backwards" would also be appreciated if needed... :smile2:

Also, if someone had mentioned to the previous owner 20+ years ago that you shouldn't use silicone caulk to hold in floor patches over rusted floors or that 390 FE's NEED a pilot bushing in the crankshaft, then my life would be easier today! (Also, rivets aren't for body panels, don't use 6 nuts on an exhaust stud to act as a spacer, a 6 cylinder radiator doesn't cool a 390, purple tint is ugly and numerous other things)

Reactions: 120mm and Mr.E
#32 ·
More Slow Progress

More pieces are coming home from the machine shop every week. Crankshaft required a 10/10 grind but was well worth it. Factory 390GT 14 bolt heads are going next. They're not the best but they're what I have. The factory 14 bolt cast iron exhaust manifolds are there now getting checked and surfaced. I may cough up the money and put a good set of headers on this thing and free up some power. The factory manifolds do not do these motors any favors.

Finally got around to replacing the passenger toe board. This will allow me to move on to the passenger floor pan within the next few weeks. Also started removal of the trunk floor, this area was worse than I initially though but nothing that can't be handled.

After a more thorough inspection it looks like both quarters will need replaced/re-skinned. Previous owner patched both sides using huge flanges and lap welds. Now even those patches are showing signs of rust. Guess i'm about to learn how replace quarters!

20180129_190421 by M L, on Flickr

20180123_182735 by M L, on Flickr

20180123_184555 by M L, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.