My stock appearing 65 Build!
I'm a little late to the party with a build thread, but i think it's a good way to keep myself going and reflect on whats been done. So here goes!
In May of 2017, after a year long hunt, I found a silver blue on blue and white deluxe interiored '65 A-code with factory A/C, PS and disc brakes. Originally a california car, it came to canada in the late 70's when the younger brother bought it from his older brother who had bought it new in Socal in 66! Its lived a pretty privileged life in a garage for that time, but the owner wasn't mechanically inclined. The body is good having been repainted in the 90's with a quarter panel due to a 'bump'. As such theres next to no rust anywhere! The paint is a base clear and is certainly decent.
I drove it as much as I could all summer, just formulating a build plan and figuring out what it needed. Swapped in a dual circuit master cylinder and added some Cibie's and relays, as well as new tail lights with GTONAVYS LED's. as quick after work projects for safeties sake.
In about october it came off the road and I started pulling things apart. There was some weirdness in the interior and the power steering was leaking. As was the C4! The shocks were all toast, including the aftermarket air shocks that had been installed to make up for the worn out rear leafs. Closer inspection had the front coils shot, all the tie rods, bushings and wheel bearings worn out. Not to mention the drivers rear wheel bearing squealing. Onto jack stands it went!
In november I splurged and called up Shaun at SoT and ordered his full front coil over setup and a rear leaf package. The local hot rod shop had a Burgeon conversion kit for me and I trundled around the forums looking to make the best choices for the rest of it. I also got ahold of a local that puts together T5 kits.
So here's the setup as it's going back together now :
SoT Coil over front end (street valving)
Borgeson PS conversion
Roller Idler Arm from Opentracker
Mid eye 4.5 leaf springs all new bolts and shock plates
Stainless scott drake leaf shackles and bushings
Bilstein rear shocks (street)
Moog inner and outer tie rods
Global west tie rod adjusters
1in Sway bar and poly bushings
All new wheel bearings front and rear
New AC Delco Rotors
Porter field front pads
TCP strut tower brace
Braided SS front brake hoses
SS front brake lines
I also had IWE rebuild the 8in rear:
HD third member
Billet pinion support
Motive 3.55 gears
SS rear brake lines
SS braided brake hose.
I cleaned and powder coated the spindles, backing plates and calliper brackets.
Early december I popped in to see my buddy Norm at fortins machine shop and he started bugging me to build a motor. The 289 was tired and leaky and i THINK it's not the original. I'll double check date codes when it gets pulled. I bit the bullet and sold off some stocks and gave him the go ahead to put together an aluminum headed 331 based off a 5.0L roller block, with the proviso that we make it look like a box stock 65 289!
Then made a couple HUGE orders from CJ, Hot rods and classics (local), NPD, Virginia and dallas mustangs for various interior, exterior and other bites.
The plan is a very stock/period look with modern drivability. Everything will be done to look like the factory did it asides the front suspension.