My stock appearing 65 Build! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 127Likes

post #1 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

My stock appearing 65 Build!

I'm a little late to the party with a build thread, but i think it's a good way to keep myself going and reflect on whats been done. So here goes!

In May of 2017, after a year long hunt, I found a silver blue on blue and white deluxe interiored '65 A-code with factory A/C, PS and disc brakes. Originally a california car, it came to canada in the late 70's when the younger brother bought it from his older brother who had bought it new in Socal in 66! Its lived a pretty privileged life in a garage for that time, but the owner wasn't mechanically inclined. The body is good having been repainted in the 90's with a quarter panel due to a 'bump'. As such theres next to no rust anywhere! The paint is a base clear and is certainly decent.

I drove it as much as I could all summer, just formulating a build plan and figuring out what it needed. Swapped in a dual circuit master cylinder and added some Cibie's and relays, as well as new tail lights with GTONAVYS LED's. as quick after work projects for safeties sake.

In about october it came off the road and I started pulling things apart. There was some weirdness in the interior and the power steering was leaking. As was the C4! The shocks were all toast, including the aftermarket air shocks that had been installed to make up for the worn out rear leafs. Closer inspection had the front coils shot, all the tie rods, bushings and wheel bearings worn out. Not to mention the drivers rear wheel bearing squealing. Onto jack stands it went!

In november I splurged and called up Shaun at SoT and ordered his full front coil over setup and a rear leaf package. The local hot rod shop had a Burgeon conversion kit for me and I trundled around the forums looking to make the best choices for the rest of it. I also got ahold of a local that puts together T5 kits.

So here's the setup as it's going back together now :

SoT Coil over front end (street valving)
Borgeson PS conversion
Roller Idler Arm from Opentracker
Mid eye 4.5 leaf springs all new bolts and shock plates
Stainless scott drake leaf shackles and bushings
Bilstein rear shocks (street)
Moog inner and outer tie rods
Global west tie rod adjusters
1in Sway bar and poly bushings
All new wheel bearings front and rear
New AC Delco Rotors
Porter field front pads
TCP strut tower brace
Braided SS front brake hoses
SS front brake lines

I also had IWE rebuild the 8in rear:
Timken bearings
HD third member
Billet pinion support
Motive 3.55 gears
Trak Lok
SS rear brake lines
SS braided brake hose.

I cleaned and powder coated the spindles, backing plates and calliper brackets.

Early december I popped in to see my buddy Norm at fortins machine shop and he started bugging me to build a motor. The 289 was tired and leaky and i THINK it's not the original. I'll double check date codes when it gets pulled. I bit the bullet and sold off some stocks and gave him the go ahead to put together an aluminum headed 331 based off a 5.0L roller block, with the proviso that we make it look like a box stock 65 289!

Then made a couple HUGE orders from CJ, Hot rods and classics (local), NPD, Virginia and dallas mustangs for various interior, exterior and other bites.

The plan is a very stock/period look with modern drivability. Everything will be done to look like the factory did it asides the front suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Welcome, post up pics.
image98 likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #3 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Garage
^ this ^
Israel likes this.

Brad

post #4 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

This morning I glued all the new foam and seals into the heater box. Repainted the door and cleaned up the blower motor. Looks like I need a repair harness for the motor wiring though.. will have to pick up some clear to quickly spray the box, as I'd glass beaded the front to rid it of whatever terrible paint the shop the PO used on it. Lightyears better!

This afternoon I finished off the Dynamat on the floors. Still have both doors and rear quarters to do. Waiting on the passenger quarter regulator and the scissors for the front passenger door. I've also been waiting forever for the window guides and channels. Ordered them in the summer when wifey complained it was hard to roll up. Turns out someone put the vent window adjuster bolt in backwards and tightened it down until it snapped. Slowly but surely it bent the channels, which wonked the scissors and regulator. Ugh. The new pax vent window showed up this week so..

Finished replacing and riveting the new vent window seals. Local auto glass place polished the glass and set the glass back into the stainless trim after I polished it at my folks place. So they're all assembled waiting the channels.

Fit Zrays crossmember into place with the longer bolts and spacers he provides. Someone at some point replaced the passenger side bolt with a hardware store one.. so am waiting on those to show up from NPD. Took the drivers fender off and slipped the coil over into place. MOST of the front suspension is in place, just not torqued. I also laid out the new steering gear.

I found some polyurethane lube at my folks and lubed up the rear leaf bushings and while poking around, undid the gnarly botched up excuse for an exhaust system. That led me to sitting the GT exhaust reinforcements in place. Pretty sure I'll just bond them in place with RTV. Be tricky to weld with the dynamat and all the other stuff in there. Still haven't figured out what exhaust kit I'll run. I do have a GT rear valence, trim rings and trumpets...
post #5 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

IMG_5300_2

The day I picked it up!
post #6 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Thatís the After picture that most here are striving for,...

Very nice.
Caper50 likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
IMG_5300_2

The day I picked it up!
This car needs to be in a BUILT thread!!

Very nice...

Allen
Israel, 69bosssvt and Rowdy like this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #8 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Nice car...beautiful colors.
Rowdy likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #9 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks chaps!

The body is great. The paint is a 7/10 but photographs very well. The interior about the same. The mechanicals were/are TOAST! Everything was worn out. I had at least half a turn either direction of slop in the steering. The pedal went right to the floor. The motor eats oil and the C4 doesn't like 1st gear. Not to mention every rubber piece of the car is toast.. and the wiring in it almost burnt it to the ground one night driving it back from a cruise in. So it makes a GREAT foundation for a build for me, as I'm not a welder/body guy, but love spinning wrenches.

It does need a new rad support, as it was hit up front at some point and poorly repaired. Its angled back and about an inch off at the top from the factory dimensions. Which makes fan clearance an issue..

theres also a lot of butchered things from a shop that shall remain nameless...
post #10 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Heres a before shot of the engine bay..

IMG_7320
Israel and FRC928 like this.
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

The car about 3 weeks ago...

image1_3
65fstbpieces and FRC928 like this.
post #12 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Great looking car

I love the theme of the build
Rowdy likes this.

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

487cu FE Idling with X-Force Varex Mufflers
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 01:31 PM

Garage
Nice car. I love the color, for some reason
Rowdy likes this.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #14 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 04:05 PM

You must have every bit of $3500 in that puppy by now ;o)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

A little Before and After of the A/C bezel..

IMG 7690

IMG 8201

New vents/clips, polished the chrome and painted the inner portion with some argent silver I had laying around. Also used some of my testors paint for the emblem!

IMG 7735

While at it with the model paints, I also redid all the emblems! They came out quite nice!

IMG 8432

This **** was mid way through the Dynamat. I still have the doors and the rear quarters to do.

IMG 8533

I spent a lot of time on the heater box, but it was a lot easier than I thought. PO had poorly sprayed it with some black rattle can that looked terrible and ALL the foam was gone. Now it's got all new foam after a quick glass beading and some satin on the doors and clear to hide the beading marks. Also went to a long tube aluminum heater core, and new resistor.
Israel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page