1967 T/A Group II Clone - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 106Likes

post #16 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
The issue with changing stock 289 rods to 3/8" is the material around the bolt gets a bit thin. Not saying it can't be done...buuuuut you could also leave the rods alone and change to ARP 5/16". Now if you have B2 rods or HiPo rods...you're good already. However, I'm sure you already know all of this.
Huskinhano likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Dimples

Garage
Looking good man. I dig the proposed paint scheme. I like the idea of the bottom portion looking dipped into the blue paint. Pretty cool.
gikort likes this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #18 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
The issue with changing stock 289 rods to 3/8" is the material around the bolt gets a bit thin. Not saying it can't be done...buuuuut you could also leave the rods alone and change to ARP 5/16". Now if you have B2 rods or HiPo rods...you're good already. However, I'm sure you already know all of this.
My street car has 3/8 rod bolts, but I will discuss with the machine shop and see if I can get away with that with these rods, or if 5/16 arp will be sufficient. Seems like there are a lot of people out there spinning crazy rpms with 5/16 ARP rod bolts.

post #19 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM

That's the best thing, talk to your shop. We have better parts now so with a good set of 5/16" bolts may be all you need and may be the strongest path. Now, I just throwing out there, ask about getting the engine internally balanced. SilverbluePB had his engine let go. The crank broke between the front main and 1&5 main journal. That seems to be a common failure point. I've seen cranks broken like this on other forums. I believe Mark said he feels it's more of an issue on road race where the engine rpm is up and down, not so much an issue in a street or drag car. Again I'm not mentioning this from any of my experience or knowledge just passing it along.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #20 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
^Not saying Mark’s mishap isn’t or could be a common problem. However, I believe Mark’s engine had several race seasons on it prior to said breakage.

Regards,
Patrick
post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikort View Post
Rules do require a fuel cell in my class and being that they are "endurance" rallies, I opted for a 20 gallon aluminum cell with a sump and foam filling. Rules do not require an SFI cell, so this will be sufficient.
What brand is the 'cell?

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
That's the best thing, talk to your shop. We have better parts now so with a good set of 5/16" bolts may be all you need and may be the strongest path. Now, I just throwing out there, ask about getting the engine internally balanced. SilverbluePB had his engine let go. The crank broke between the front main and 1&5 main journal. That seems to be a common failure point. I've seen cranks broken like this on other forums. I believe Mark said he feels it's more of an issue on road race where the engine rpm is up and down, not so much an issue in a street or drag car. Again I'm not mentioning this from any of my experience or knowledge just passing it along.
I've considered an internal balance. I'll ask what it would cost for a 289. I won't be spinning past 7k, so not sure if it would be worth the effort? @Silverbluepb how fast did you spin yours to? I think I remembering watching your video when it let go.
post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikort View Post
I've considered an internal balance. I'll ask what it would cost for a 289. I won't be spinning past 7k, so not sure if it would be worth the effort? @Silverbluepb how fast did you spin yours to? I think I remembering watching your video when it let go.

I had a 7,500 chip in it. It broke just above 7k. I had been running it extra hard that day having fun!

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 PM

Garage
I will say, the short block held together for 6 yrs of track days. I got my money out that bottom end.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Stock 289 crank and rods with 5/16" or 3/8" rod bolts at those RPM?

Regards,
Patrick
post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM

Garage
Stock crank, stock rods that were polished by me and 3/8” ARP bolts.
rpm likes this.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
Stock crank, stock rods that were polished by me and 3/8” ARP bolts.
That is my plan as well. What else was done to the motor? What cam were you running?
post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
What brand is the 'cell?
Sorry, I missed this earlier. It's been about 2 years since I purchased it, so I'm not sure on the brand. It's a universal aluminum cell. I think a lot of different places make them.
post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Here is the front suspension buttoned up. Rules require stock suspension but does allow some modifications. I bought replacement Moog lower arms, new Mood upper ball joints and shafts, and new Moog tie rods. I boxed in both the upper and lower control arms for added strength so they will (hopefully) survive the Mexican highways at 120+mph. I also added the "dogbone" shock tower reinforcements. I converted from power steering to manual by modifying the steering power valve and removing all of the hydraulics. Springs are factory rate with a full coil removed. I lowered the upper control arms 1" and moved the spring perch outward 3/4" to increase spring rate a little. The sway bar is 1.125" diameter. I added brake cooling backing plates on both sides. I haven't added the ducting yet, but I am planning on connecting them to custom cutouts in the valance to mimic the ones on the GT350s. Also note the 3/8 fuel line.

Rally rules do permit brake upgrades, however everything has to fit behind a 15x7 wheel. I opted to stay factory Ford for both both budgetary and nostalgia reasons. This car originally had 4 wheel drum brakes, but I was able to source some factory discs from a '66 off a VMF member. I rebuilt the calipers with new pistons, seals, and boots and added stainless lines.

120mm likes this.
post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Garage
Nice Work.
What did you use to reinforce the upper control arms? I have laser cut pieces to do the lowers but couldn't find anything for the uppers.
Thanks
Jeff

Do SOMETHING every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page