1967 T/A Group II Clone - Vintage Mustang Forums
 106Likes

post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

1967 T/A Group II Clone Build Thread

I've been meaning to start a build thread for quite some time. I am building a 1967 coupe to compete primarily in the various vintage Mexican endurance tarmac rallies like la Carrera Panamericana, the Chihuahua Express, and the Rally Historico Transpeninsular. Although these are vintage races, they are sanctioned by the Mexican Rally Federation and require a purpose built race car with a full cage and safety equipment. Other build requirements include stock(ish) suspension, drivetrain, and 15x7 wheels. They do not allow superchargers or alloy headed motors, and require the use of a 600 CFM carb with CID of 306 or smaller (except chevys they get up to 327 because they need the extra cubes to compete haha). Although I have been building Mustangs since I was 15, this is my first race car, and would appreciate any input!

Here is the car the day I purchased it:

The car had a 351 Cleveland and an FMX transmission, so that had to go to make room for the 289 and Toploader:

Once all that was out of the way, I got started ripping it apart and repairing the rust damage. The floors both needed replacement. Driverside torque box and firewall, quarter panels, wheel wells, trunk drop offs, and fender aprons all needed work. I also added a passenger side torque box while I was in there.

Here is a quick timelapse of replacing the quarter panels, wheel wells, and trunk drop off panels. If you're dreading this, look how fast and easy it was! You will also note that I used '68 quarter panels even though the car is a '67. This was done for a couple of reasons. One was cost, the other is that I am planning on adding quarter scoops and rear brake cooling ducts at some point so the smooth '68 quarters made the most sense.

Last edited by gikort; 01-09-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Bodywork also included a replacement driver's fender and hood which I sourced from a VMF member. Here are a couple shots of the car in primer:

120mm likes this.
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

After completing (most) of the bodywork, I got rid of all the glass and other heavy nonsense that I will not be needing in a race car and got started on the roll cage. This is where the project starts to be fun. The sanctioning body requires a pretty serious cage - they recommend building to NASA rules plus any additions to "impress" the tech guy. Here is the rule book I based my cage on: https://www.nasarallysport.com/rules...Appendix-B.pdf . I used 1.75x.120 tubing throughout. Here are some photos:

rpm and image98 like this.

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

The roll cage is technically an 8 point cage with contact points on the front torque boxes, floors, rear torque boxes, and rear frame rail. I added an "X" brace in the ceiling, doors, main hoop, and rear support bars, "toyota" bars in the door openings, header bar, and a bar under the dash. It also has harness bars behind both the driver and navigator seats. All contact points have a 6"x6" .125 steel plate. I added gussets on the Toyota bars, main hoop support brace, and rear rear support brace bars. It is a little over the top, but should have no problems passing tech, and more importantly should be safe.

because of the decreased head room with the "X" bar, I lowered the seat pans 1" and will use Corbeau's Forza Sport FIA seats.

I also added dimple die gussets from the roll cage to the A pillars for a little extra rigidity.
Israel and 120mm like this.
post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Iíll be following.
gikort likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Awsomeness.
With that much cage i wonder if CV inner rockers or torque boxes matter?
gikort likes this.
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
Awsomeness.
With that much cage i wonder if CV inner rockers or torque boxes matter?
I'm hoping the answer is "not much" since I didn't bother adding the CV inner rockers or seat pan. I opted out of subframe connectors for the same reason. I don't see any benefit and want to keep weight as low as possible (especially considering all of the 1.75x.120 DOM everywhere). I did add torque boxes to tie everything together and provide a sturdy platform for the cage to mount to since the floor doesn't provide much rollover protection.
rpm likes this.
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Great build project! Lately I've become a big fan of the Group 2 cars.
gikort likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Dimples

Garage
This looks awesome!

Can't wait to watch progress. Now onto the important question: Racing livery?
gikort likes this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
This looks awesome!

Can't wait to watch progress. Now onto the important question: Racing livery?
Yes! I'll most some more pictures of the build when I get some time, but this is the paint scheme I have in mind. It will of course have a blacked out hood and tail light panel.

120mm likes this.
post #11 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM
MWM

This looks fantastic! Please continue to post updates. Great job done well! ?
gikort likes this.
post #12 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Very cool project!
gikort likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #13 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Rules do require a fuel cell in my class and being that they are "endurance" rallies, I opted for a 20 gallon aluminum cell with a sump and foam filling. Rules do not require an SFI cell, so this will be sufficient.

I fabbed up some steel straps and "hung" the cell down into the trunk opening to lower the center of gravity and also give me more trunk space (since I will need to have room for a spare tire and my overnight bags). Here it is mocked up before paint. I cut the "shroud" from aluminum sheeting.

Here is the trunk all painted. The color is Destroyer Gray from Eastman's. I am doing the engine bay and interior this same color as well.

And here it is all finished off with the shroud and retaining straps in place. To finish off the fuel system, I ran new 3/8" hardline from the cell all the way to the engine bay. I will still need to get a breather hose and check valve, but overall, I am happy with how it turned out.

post #14 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm planning on dropping the block off at the machine shop next week. I am sticking with the 289 crank and rods. Iron heads (180cc intake, 1.94 and 1.60 valves, and a Victor Jr intake. Leaning towards the Comp Cams 294S cam. Has anyone ran that before in a 289?
post #15 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 AM

See about upgrading the rod bolts, Im pretty sure its a machining to the OE rod, 5/16 to 3/8", known to make a huge strength difference when spinning high RPMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page