Broke College students 68' coupe build - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Got myself an 8.8 explorer axle with limited slip! My dad picked it up from some guy who lives in the area back at home. He got it for $100 so I owe him but I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

68 mustang coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I started cleaning up the explorer rear end... Now I gotta figure out where exactly to re well the spring perches. Nice thing about these is calipers are only 30$ a pop!

68 mustang coupe
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17halisa View Post
Now I gotta figure out where exactly to re well the spring perches.
What I did was install the leafs and lightly bolt the rear in place with the new spring perches. I then measured from each wheel well lip (using a string and weight) to each rotor face and centered it that way. I also rotated it until I got the desired pinion angle and then tack welded the perches in place.

Others do it differently, but this method worked for me.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hildago View Post
What I did was install the leafs and lightly bolt the rear in place with the new spring perches. I then measured from each wheel well lip (using a string and weight) to each rotor face and centered it that way. I also rotated it until I got the desired pinion angle and then tack welded the perches in place.

Others do it differently, but this method worked for me.
thank you much do you just buy the sensor for the pumpkin to keep crap from getting in there? and just bypass it? what was it originally for?

68 mustang coupe
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
thank you much do you just buy the sensor for the pumpkin to keep crap from getting in there? and just bypass it? what was it originally for?

I just left the sensor in it. It is an ABS sensor. I believe others have just installed a plug in place of the sensor.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Last week I patched the rear part of the floor back by the shock mounts, and I also patched the rear frame rail. I had some slight rust right after the torquebox area that I patched well. Today I got my power brake booster, and master cylinder. It was cheaper to go with the automatic brake pedal so I will have to cut it to the length of a manual brake pedal and get a different pad. Aslo got the clutch setup, pedal and the roller bearing kit for the clutch

68 mustang coupe
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I haven't worked on the Stang much lately because classes are getting hard. I did get my pedal support out. I cut down my new power brake pedal (it was for an auto because that pedal was cheaper) now I need to weld in my roller bearing kit for the clutch pedal, clean the support up and paint it. I also got a power brake booster and master cylinder.

68 mustang coupe
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Sorry guys, I haven't worked on the Stang much lately because classes are getting hard. I did get my pedal support out. I cut down my new power brake pedal (it was for an auto because that pedal was cheaper) now I need to weld in my roller bearing kit for the clutch pedal, clean the support up and paint it. I also got a power brake booster and master cylinder.
Understandable. Keep on keeping on. You'll get there.

The anvil of reality.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Understandable. Keep on keeping on. You'll get there.
Joe dirt quote! One of my all time favorites!
Thank you much!

BlakeTX likes this.

68 mustang coupe
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
Quote:

Just found this thread and it's looking great! Fellow broke college student here, I'm doing a 69' that's in similar condition- Only i've done a lot less metalwork (My university really needs a shop..)

Loving the Snapchat screenshot, I wonder if this forum has ever seen that before Feel free to PM me if you'd like to add eachother, I spend late nights working on my car as well!

I'm definitely feeling the hurt on hard classes at the moment as well, finals are coming up...

Keep it up man! Let's show em' that being broke and in college won't stop us.

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

I have gotten alot done! I have my explorer rear end all torn appart. Ring and pinion gears look perfect and the spider gears are great! I'm waiting on new bearings, seals, backing plates, e-brake parts, rotors, calipers and new spring perches to come in the mail. I have my rear frame rails tacked in place but I am gonna wait till I get some leaf springs just to tripple check that all of my measurements were good. I am waiting on an inner wheel house to show up so I can weld that in before I weld in my brand new quarter panel. I also need to get myself a Shelby tail light panel

68 mustang coupe
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Nice project! I'll watch too!

Those explorer rears are popular and a good axle! I have shortened many of them for people and happen to have another in the shop now to be mounted in a camaro. It is some certain year explorer rear that has an aluminum center chunk.

Andy

68 Coupe about to be pulled from the cob webs.

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Nice project! I'll watch too!

Those explorer rears are popular and a good axle! I have shortened many of them for people and happen to have another in the shop now to be mounted in a camaro. It is some certain year explorer rear that has an aluminum center chunk.
Yeah they are good rear ends. I've never heard of putting them in a Camaro before! I'm excited because mine has 373 gears and limited slip!

TheDraytone likes this.

68 mustang coupe
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I have gotten a lot done on my mustang this past summer. Sorry I have not been posting as much as I should be!
I had my 351W tore down to the bare block and I degreased it and painted the block. I have my front facing sump and oilpump installed, I got my new water pump installed (I needed one with the dipstick hole for the front sump) I have my trick flow aluminum heads all prepped and ready to go on. right now, I'm trying to find the proper pushrod length. I bought a custom ground comp cam and I have that installed. The engine is coming along nicely.
As far as bodywork goes, I have replaced the full outer wheel house on the driver side and the drop down panels. I have my quarter panel lined up to where I want it. So far, I only have self tappers holding it in place basically because I'm not looking forward to welding it in. that will be scary because I don't wanna mess up. I have done a lot of research on it and believe I am ready to take on the task. I bought an aftermarket driver side door from cjpony parts. I am very happy with how it lines up! I figured Id have problems with an aftermarket. I did purchase a rust free original passenger side door awhile back. At Iola carshow/swap meet, I purchased an original rust free front passenger fender and fender extension. Recently at Jefferson swap meet, I also purchased some original front bucket seats, some hood hinges and an original front driver side fender. This fender has some rust but I think between the two I have, I can make a good one. my mustang is starting to come together and its really satisfying to see! I will post some pictures later when I get some time.

68 mustang coupe
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Dimples

Garage
Glad to hear you're making good progress! Now let's see those pics.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page