Barney... 1966 Mustang Coupe - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Barney... 1966 Mustang Coupe

Barney is the 1966 Mustang I inherited from my Pops (Frank Metz) . Pops was a Chevy guy as far as I knew growing up… He was always restoring or driving old Camaros and his 66 Corvette, until he fell ill the first time in his late 60’s.
During his recovery, my Aunts found the Mustang for him to keep busy with while getting back in better health. The car had been wrecked in the right front corner by a cousin a few years earlier and had been sitting since.
Pops repaired and refinished the little coupe pretty much by himself in his garage over the next two years bringing it up to a driver status. Every summer I’d go to visit and help tinker with it and keep it road worthy.
I often offered to buy the car…..he’d always tell me “He’d think about it”.
Skip forward a few years It’s Fall and I’m getting to see my first granddaughter born and the phone rings…Come get your car boy was the first thing I heard from the other end. Pops had a notion that his time was drawing near and wanted me to have Barney. I left the next day and brought it home.. Pops passed just after the New Year.
I just drove the car for the first summer after his passing. Last year I started doing the items I’m pretty sure he would have done to fix up the old car.
So, with the background in place, I decided to start a build thread…. The first part will be what pictures I have of him working on the car and shots of me driving it around Maryland during my yearly visits. The second part will be the work I did to him here in Ohio during last year or so… Hope you enjoy the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66_2016 CJB.jpg (95.8 KB, 87 views)
Israel, Caper50, DonP and 4 others like this.

Barney..1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Dimples

Garage
Pretty car and a cool story for sure. Welcome to you and Barney.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are a couple of picture of Pops working on the car. I don't have very many. These were in the glove box when I got it home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66_2.jpg (50.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 66_3.jpg (69.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 66_4.jpg (66.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 66_5.jpg (75.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 66_1.jpg (70.6 KB, 94 views)
Caper50 and myfirstcar66 like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Welcome, I’ll be following.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 PM

Garage
Welcome to VMF, Was expecting something a little more purple

Brad
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Sorry to hear of your Pop's passing, I'll bet he felt good passing the car on to you. Welcome to the forum, I'll be following along as well.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Welcome to VMF, Was expecting something a little more purple
I don't know why he called the car Barney... I seriously doubt he had a clue who the kid's character is. My best guess is Barney Fife from the Andy Griffon show...LOL
2nd 66 likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The first summer I basically just drove the car "as is" and did a couple of shows. The coolest was the Gale Hallderman Mustang Barn. Gale was the guy who designed the original concept that became the 64 1/2 Mustang..

Thought I'd share some pics. The Museum is just north of Dayton and definitely a must see if you're a Mustang owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019 (2).JPG (20.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (22.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 037.JPG (16.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 032.JPG (20.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 030.JPG (21.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 035.JPG (19.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 026.JPG (21.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by scootr117; 03-02-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This weeks adventure is chasing my tail. I have been going thru the cooling system to bring everything up to par for a summer of cruising. As I'm taking things apart, I run into some other issue that falls into "Better fix that now while it's apart" syndrome. This time it's the engine harness.
The first picture is the burned up Alt extension. I guess sometime in the distant past the Alternator was replaced without disconnecting the Battery and the wiring payed the price. Simple fix....well I thought so. When the new harness arrived and it's then see the plug is melted too on the Headlight harness....more money and time. I do wise up and buy the gauge feed while I'm at it to save the headache I know is coming with it.

The third picture is the installed harness on the alternator. I soon realize my new harness is missing the boots for the battery and stator... after a quick call to California Mustang, we concluded the supplier forgot them in the package I was sent ....Alloy Metal sent me the missing boots. Thank you for that Cal Mustang and Alloy!

The final ( I hope) lesson was the parking lamps. I get the harness install and get to the RS headlight bucket when I find the wiring for the parking light is mangled and butt spliced together...literally fell apart in my hand.

From now on...I swear to really inspect every aspect of a repair before I order anything....I'm currently waiting on the lights...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (6).JPG (50.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (7).JPG (30.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 005 (4).JPG (44.2 KB, 24 views)

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It will probably never end! I started the water pump and cooling system refurbish this weekend. I bought all the parts for the job and got to cracking on it.... literally the second bolt to come out snapped. I'm going to dig into it further tonight... good news (sorta) is this isn't the first time this has happened in the world and there are many good tips and tricks here on the VMF.
I was a little surprised by the corrosion/ slime behind the water pump... I would have guessed the backing plate should have kept the area dry..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine sm1.jpg (19.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg engine sm2.jpg (20.0 KB, 41 views)

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had a productive weekend with the car. My engine room is coming together and I just have a couple of outstanding items to check off and I can be ready for spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 024 (2).JPG (42.0 KB, 38 views)
bdub4u likes this.

Last edited by scootr117; 03-19-2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 PM

Maybe it is me being overly sentimental, but wow what a story. I bought my car off a very nice guy down in SoCal, no more significance than the hit to the checkbook. I couldn't imagine having a car with that much significance behind it; let alone driving it (even though I know that is what your Pops - RIP - would have wanted).

Enjoy the build, I'll be following.

"The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence." - Sir Robert Peel
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:38 PM

Yeah, great story and I too am a sucker for heirlooms. Looks like you don't have much to do overall to be ready for the shows. Enjoy.

From the factory:
- '66 A Code Automatic Coupe

Modifications:
- American Autowire Classic Update Kit (510125)
- 3G 130 Amp alternator

Build Thread:
- Father Daughter 66 Coupe Build
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I made some serious progress this past Saturday. The majority of the engine is completed. I was given a set of original Cobra Valve Covers that had been bead blasted. I decided to try a newer powder coat process - chrome. I actually figured they would turn out grey and match my water pump, but to my surprise I got the result in the attachment.. Not too bad!

The other picture is what the oil pump shaft looked like compared to the new one. I swear every time I do a project...I find something else I need to do... Good thing that I'm enjoying the work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vc cobra.jpg (41.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg pump shaft.jpg (34.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by scootr117; 04-02-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have it all together and ready to fine tune.. Ohio is doing this new calendar; it's January 77,2018 and I haven't had a chance to open the doors to set the carb and timing because winter won't go away.... But, it fires up and idles fairly smooth cold. I do have a squeek... I think the powder coated pulleys are the source. I'm going to wait it out and see if it goes away with a little driving.

I just need to put the new seat covers on and new carpet to be done ...at least until this summer/fall is over....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (11.0 KB, 26 views)
Israel likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page