1970 Mustang Fastback Boss 302 Tribute Coyote Restomod Build - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 120Likes

post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need Source for Front Sheet Metal Position Info

With the passenger side shock tower removed, new front inner fender and radiator support mocked up in place, I need a resource for position information to confirm the sheet metal is properly located. Is there a source that professional body shops use to locate the panels when rebuilding a wrecked car? This is the kind of resource I am looking for. The sub-frame is properly positioned checking both level and square before welding it in. Now I have to get the inner fenders and radiator support properly positioned so that the fender, grill, hood support and latch, etc. all fit correctly when assembled.

Thanks,

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Received Controls Pack for 2nd Gen Coyote with 6R80 AT

Fedex brought me a present yesterday afternoon, the Ford Performance Controls Pack for 2nd Gen Coyote with 6R80 AT. I did a quick inventory and all looks to be present. I would like to add that I purchased the Controls Pack through Mike at Levittown Ford Parts. There price was better than other distributors by $150 with free shipping. Mike kept me in the loop all through the purchase cycle as FP delayed shipping twice.

Alan
Grabber70Mach and image98 like this.
post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Love the build.

Interesting that you used the Max jax and the engine hoist to get the frame in place. I have the same lift. Works really really well.

2013 Viper GTS 1/2 mile best of 157.99mph 8.4L V10 @ 600whp
2005 Ram SRT10 with T56 Conversion and many other mods
2005 Mustang GT 5 speed- wife's daily
2016 Nissan Maxima SR - wife's other daily
1973 Lincoln Mark IV- triple black
1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback

post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperpete View Post
Interesting that you used the Max jax and the engine hoist to get the frame in place. I have the same lift. Works really really well.
To get the body level on the lift, I found I needed some method of leveling the body. Don't know if it is a characteristic of the Max Jax lifts, but mine does not lift evenly from side to side, even at maximum lift height. So I found that BendPak sells adjustable lift pads for two post lifts that do fit on the Max Jax arms. They work well and gave me about 2" of adjustability at each pad. The adjustable pads are limited to 2" because there is no hole in the Max Jax lift arm as there is in a Bend Pak model. Once the body was leveled on the lift, it was easy to get the sub-frame in place, aligned, level and square. I got my set of adjustable lift pads from Summit, just added the link below to show a picture.

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/b...receiver-each/

Alan
post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM

I think there's always a bit of difference in when the lift arms move. On my 4 post, the rear starts moving up just a hair after the front starts. There's probably some way to make adjustments to get it perfect, but it's close enough.

Great solution on finding the adjustable pads.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #21 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
To get the body level on the lift, I found I needed some method of leveling the body. Don't know if it is a characteristic of the Max Jax lifts, but mine does not lift evenly from side to side, even at maximum lift height. So I found that BendPak sells adjustable lift pads for two post lifts that do fit on the Max Jax arms. They work well and gave me about 2" of adjustability at each pad. The adjustable pads are limited to 2" because there is no hole in the Max Jax lift arm as there is in a Bend Pak model. Once the body was leveled on the lift, it was easy to get the sub-frame in place, aligned, level and square. I got my set of adjustable lift pads from Summit, just added the link below to show a picture.

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/b...receiver-each/

Alan

Mine doesn't lift perfectly even either. The delay is about 1/2 a second or so it seems between clunks of the stops. At the top it seems level enough :dunno:

Thanks for the link.

1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback

Last edited by Viperpete; 03-22-2018 at 05:40 PM.
post #22 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess one would say that the imbalance on movement of the lift arms is a Dannmar feature, no exta charge! I did not want to spend an additional $240 for the adjustable lift pads, however the ability to get the car body leveled on the lift is priceless. I have to chalk that expenditure up to be just one of many purchases that I did not know I would need to make when starting this project. That said, next tool purchase will be a rotisserie.

Alan
post #23 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question on Front Inner Fender Panel to Radiator Support Alignment

On my 1970 Mach 1, I am replacing the front inner fender panels on both sides as well as the radiator support. Please take a look at the two pictures below regarding the alignment of the front inner fender panel to the radiator support. In the first picture you are looking at the driver's side. Note that the two ovals holes in the panels align. The second picture shows the alignment of the front inner fender panel and the radiator support. Note in this picture the holes sort of align, but the hole in the fender panel will not align the same, I cannot move it forward to center the two holes as with the driver's side, what gives? Is this normal or is it identifying the panels are not aligned in the same way? The replacement sheet metal is Dynacorn, which I thought would provide a better fit without issues. Maybe this is normal, just checking with you experts out there.

Thanks, Alan
cla5675 likes this.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #24 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
IThat said, next tool purchase will be a rotisserie.

Alan

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...al-cr-3000.htm

Never argue with a Moron. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
post #25 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 AM

I haven't found any aftermarket panels that don't require some form of beating/bending/trimming to fit. Don't go by the holes...make sure the measurements are right...then trim the holes with a dremel tool with the small carbide grinding bit.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #26 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
I haven't found any aftermarket panels that don't require some form of beating/bending/trimming to fit. Don't go by the holes...make sure the measurements are right...then trim the holes with a dremel tool with the small carbide grinding bit.
I used the alignment holes as a quick guide but didn't depend on them. I used my old before measurements, and did a lot of linear and diagonal measurements to verify square and depended upon actual numbers rather than ends of the sheetmetal or punched holes.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #27 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM

A lot of guys around here have built a rotisserie out of wood. I think the cost is about $100.
post #28 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjoursm View Post
A lot of guys around here have built a rotisserie out of wood. I think the cost is about $100.
Now that is something id be interested in building...

1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback
post #29 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjoursm View Post
I can see someone building a wheel dolly out of wood, but not a rotisserie. I will need the ability of rotate the body for access underneath when media blasting and painting, something that I would not attempt to do with a wooden structure.

Alan

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #30 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I can see someone building a wheel dolly out of wood, but not a rotisserie. I will need the ability of rotate the body for access underneath when media blasting and painting, something that I would not attempt to do with a wooden structure.

Alan
I have seen some pictures of rotisseries made of wood and I don't know that I would completely trust them but the ones I have seen here are actually big half or quarter wheels with the car between and you turn the whole thing. They look pretty solid. Google wooden rotisserie and there are a bunch of pictures.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page